Walkman NWZ F886 officialy announced!! [192khz/24bits]
Jun 18, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #1,261 of 1,472
I think the only time Ive ever turned on wifi for my Walkman was to install one app called 'battery mix' which shows battery percentage in the task bar. The only time, other than that it just gets turned on/off like a music player always In airplane mode.

Jun 18, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #1,262 of 1,472
i heard the walkman and i really like the sound but i havent heard the x5 and ibasso dx90
is the batt really that bad as people say? i am going to use it just to listen to music and switch it off when iam not using.

Btw hows the boot up time?

i heard that the dx90 is on the colder side while x5 is on the warmer side.

Jun 18, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #1,263 of 1,472
i heard the walkman and i really like the sound but i havent heard the x5 and ibasso dx90

is the batt really that bad as people say? i am going to use it just to listen to music and switch it off when iam not using.

I'm kind of just a drifter in here as I only own an F806, for what its worth I get about 20 hours of music (FLAC) and god knows how old my unit is.

It's a nice sounding unit though I think my little colorfly C3 edges ahead and X5 sounds superior (had x5 for 10 days) but if you're on the go a lot x5 is quite cumbersome imo. May as well buy a wheelbarrow for it or a man bag. ;p

Jun 19, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #1,264 of 1,472
  i am seriously wondering why people are not getting fiio x5??
its better in sound department and has a good respectable software too according to reviews.

imho walkman is way too overpriced,,due to puny battery and weak processor it cannot be effectively used as an android device anyways so whats the point of getting it when better options are available at lesser price points?

What are you basing this conclusion on?

I have the f886 and the Fiio X5 in front of me and the sq is quite comparable, I personally prefer the sq of the f886 with a slight eq. 

You mention the weak processor in the f886 but even with this weak processor the responsiveness is light years ahead of the Fiio X5.

Considering the price I am personally disappointed with the battery life, they could have put a higher capacity battery in there but it isn't too bad, I have it in airplane mode most of the time. The battery life is nowhere near the figures sony has quoted for the f886. Also materials used aren't too great, it is made out of cheap plastic, not very good compared to the competition. The lack of a memory card slot is ridiculous for an audiophile dap at this price considering even a sansa clip has one. The amp is also a tad weak but I can use it fine with most of my iems and headphones that don't require a huge amount of power. I hope sony addresses these issues on their next generation of daps and we'll get a killer product.

All that being said I really like the f886, I didn't when I got it but I do now.

On the positive side, it's really light, quite responsive, has a nice screen, has the flexibility of android and it sounds quite nice, excellent sounding actually, this is the direction audiophile daps should take imho.

I'm pretty sure Fiio will release further firmware updates improving the sound and optimizing the ui as much as they can on the X5 like they did with the X3, it should pull out ahead then but as it is now the f886 is quite viable as an alternative.

Jun 19, 2014 at 2:04 AM Post #1,265 of 1,472

boot-up time is 10secs approx... I get excellent battery life as well.

Jun 19, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #1,266 of 1,472
i am seriously wondering why people are not getting fiio x5??
its better in sound department and has a good respectable software too according to reviews.

imho walkman is way too overpriced,,due to puny battery and weak processor it cannot be effectively used as an android device anyways so whats the point of getting it when better options are available at lesser price points?

The Sony UI (touch screen & side buttons) is much better. I got used to the X3's (X5 should be similiar with wheel) but still click on wrong buttons when I don't look at the device after months of using it. If you use the Sony like you used a Sansa Clip, X3 or X5, that means in airplane mode (but without shutting down the device), battery usage should be no problem. And if you want a long battery life because you use the player on the go, you should consider converting your HD files to smaller MP3 V0, 256 or 320 ones.

I think it like there are OS features, battery life and weight of the device. The F886 seems to me a good compromise.

Jun 19, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #1,267 of 1,472
Just to say that I'm selling my F886, you can see it here on the sell and trade thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/723733/sony-nwz-f886-with-sony-clear-case-ckh-nwf880-x-prf-nwh40-protective-sheet , excellent player, selling because somebody got me a z2 which I pretend to use with my dac. Good Offer!

Jun 24, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #1,272 of 1,472
Does anyone use JetAudio Plus with this device? I always seem to get audio stutter at least once on each track.

They play fine in the default media app that comes with the device. All of my files are mp3. In JetAudio Plus, I have it configured to crossfade between tracks, party shuffle on.

Jun 26, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #1,273 of 1,472
I have the feeling, that the new firmware reduces the battery drain significantly. Idle has still most share of power, but the drain over night is much less.

Jul 10, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #1,275 of 1,472
For me yes. I have my favourite artists and was already quite happy with 16 gb on my old NWZ-A845. But that is only me....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back