Walkman NWZ F886 officialy announced!! [192khz/24bits]
Apr 10, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #1,111 of 1,472
Glad you are enjoying it, it is a great dap and I agree that having android is a huge benefit.

Rather like yourself I generally found the volume to be just about ok, but sometimes find myself wanting another click or two just to get that little bit more - a fiio e12 is a superb match
smily_headphones1.gif

Not sure I can help regarding album art, but here is what I use / do....

I use mp3tag, open up my song(s)/album and edit tags accordingly, I also use mp3tag to embed the art into the songs/album as well. However, I do use folders and within each folder I have a cover.jpg and folder.jpg

Not saying what I do is correct or best, but it works for me

Further, MP3Tag can get artwork of Amazon for you. By placing a jpg in folder you are doubly covered! Embed artwork or a jpg is enough, but some DAPS like the new Fiio X5 don't yet see the jpgs so embedded is needed.

Apr 10, 2014 at 4:11 AM Post #1,112 of 1,472
Forgot to mention about Amazon tracking the art for you or if you have the image you can do it hourself.

My music is stored on a nas and is used by a multitude of devices - a couple of daps, music streamers etc. I'm not entirely sure how each of them use or see files hence the adding of cover and folder - exactly like you say just ensuring I'm well covered :) just in case one of the devices reads or accesses differently.

Apr 10, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #1,113 of 1,472
I am looking at the F886 as an upgrade to my NWZ-A829

Can anyone comment on differences in sound quality to the A829 or similar generation Sony DAP?

Will the F886 drive my Marshall Monitors well? Looks like some people are using it with large cans, while others say it is only for IEMs.

I do not want to add an amp at the moment.

Apr 11, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #1,114 of 1,472
Can anyone advise on getting the best sound out of this player?

I've got a pair of Audio Technica ATH Es55 and some Meelectronics a161p IEMS. But the sound isnt' great out of either. There's a lack of power, seperation and clarity. I'm also finding it quite fatiguing after a while as I have to put the volume up as I try to get more clarity.

Do people use the ClearAudio+ option with non-Sony supplied headphones?

What settings to people us generally?

Also the battery life is not great, it's down to 43% and I'm only halfway through the day and just used it to get to work and it was fully charged.

Apr 11, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #1,115 of 1,472
I am looking at the F886 as an upgrade to my NWZ-A829

Can anyone comment on differences in sound quality to the A829 or similar generation Sony DAP?

Will the F886 drive my Marshall Monitors well? Looks like some people are using it with large cans, while others say it is only for IEMs.

I do not want to add an amp at the moment.

Hello, I moved from a NWZ-A828 to the F886 and the difference was amazing, whilst the A828 is louder, much louder full volume on the F886 is roughly 15 on the A828. The presentation of the F886 is something else, use FLAC or very high MP3s and you will be amazed.

My A828 was the reason for discovering head-fi, I was looking for settings to get the best out of the A828, and whilst those tweaks helped a lot (Shifting the low frequencies I think), I struggled with a lack of space (8gig), so HQ tracks were out of the question.

I read about the F886 on here, thought that's the one for me and got one of those, which lead on to a pair of MDR-1Rs, a Fiio E18 and also a pair of XBA-H3s it's not cheap looking around here
beyersmile.png
that said, my ears and I have never been happier.

I don't have much experience with anything audiophile, sorry, having said that, it drives my MDR-1Rs with ease, although I don't think these are very difficult to drive, they do sound lovely though and are soooooo comfy, I really like the detail they resolve and the highs are lush, bass is nice and clean too.

The real surprise for me is the output from the XBA-H3s, wow, talk about bass, they are quite different to the MDR-1Rs, the MDR-1Rs caress and cuddle your ears gently allowing all the subtleties of the music to flow into your brain. That is not to say they don't go loud, they do, the XBA-H3s on the other hand do all that too, but with a flippin great sub kicking the lows at your ear-drums.

The first time I tried the XBA-H3s was with a track called '3 hours' by Emika, this lead me to create a 'Fugg me' playlist.

It is worth noting that the F886 has cost me a lot of money in buying CDs of the MP3s I had previously purchased on download, just so I could rip them in FLAC format.

Regards

Apr 11, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #1,116 of 1,472
  It is worth noting that the F886 has cost me a lot of money in buying CDs of the MP3s I had previously purchased on download, just so I could rip them in FLAC format.

This is probably not the best time to say that HDTracks.com (and others) offer even higher resolution FLAC files than MP3s :p Whether one can tell the difference is another topic...

Apr 12, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #1,119 of 1,472

This is probably not the best time to say that HDTracks.com (and others) offer even higher resolution FLAC files than MP3s :p Whether one can tell the difference is another topic...

I think you can currently add me to the 'Can't really hear the difference' crowd. I can hear between MP3 and FLAC, I've even downloaded the HDTracks sampler, but at the minute I can't tell between the higher sampling rates. I also like having a physical copy of something.

It would also help if HDTracks.com worked in the UK. That said I'm currently filling my boots and HDD with music from bandcamp.

Apr 12, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #1,120 of 1,472

I think you can currently add me to the 'Can't really hear the difference' crowd. I can hear between MP3 and FLAC, I've even downloaded the HDTracks sampler, but at the minute I can't tell between the higher sampling rates. I also like having a physical copy of something.

It would also help if HDTracks.com worked in the UK. That said I'm currently filling my boots and HDD with music from bandcamp.

My ears aren't very good. I've done some preliminary blind A/B test with HDtracks hires tracks against the same tracks converted to Lame v5. I can sometimes tell the difference with my current setup, so I'm not planning to frequent the site much until I do proper A/Bing with my final setup :p

I've found that mastering plays a much bigger role than bitrate.

Strange it doesn't work in the UK, it does in NL.

Apr 12, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #1,121 of 1,472
I just bought this to replace my lost Z1060. I have a pair of Shure SE215 at the moment, will this do the player justice or will it be better to upgrade? I'm currently looking at the Shure SE425, Sennheiser ie80 or the Sony XBA 3, leaning towards the IE80 at the moment because of the good reviews and price. The Sony is the most expensive.
 Any suggestions on which to get? I listen to mostly J-rock and J-pop, with some orchestra and instrumental music as well.

Thanks

Aaron

Apr 12, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #1,123 of 1,472
Since I got the Sony EX-1000, my IE80 is completely retired. I also have the XBA-H3. It is less critical in the treble region, but the bass is not as exact and deep as the EX-1000. The IE80 obviously needs a successor in the Sennheiser line up. The IE800 is too expensive to be it. Try to find an EX-1000, even if it is used. They are simply epic.

Apr 13, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #1,124 of 1,472
Can users of this player please tell me how much battery life you actually get?

Do people completely turn the player off when they're not using it?

I can't believe that my player is normal.  Like another user above said, you can actually see the battery level going down live.

Right now I'd have to charge my player half way through the day.  My commute is only 45 minutes long!  That means I can listen to about 2 albums and that's it.  And that's with wifi turned off and only using it as a music player.  The whole point was that it was supposed to be an Android device as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back