Walkman NWZ F886 officialy announced!! [192khz/24bits]
Feb 15, 2014 at 5:54 AM Post #991 of 1,472
My Fiio E12 has just arrived, but I think I've ordered the wrong cable ( L3 ) I haven't taken it out the packet, but I'm pretty certain it's too big to fit into the F886. ( All the info said for ipad / iphone connection, no mention of Walkman's, so I had a feeling it wasn't right !
Could anyone confirm if the L3 is incorrect ( without me having to take it out the packet ) & if so, advise me on what I should have ordered, please ?

Feb 15, 2014 at 6:00 AM Post #992 of 1,472
  My Fiio E12 has just arrived, but I think I've ordered the wrong cable ( L3 ) I haven't taken it out the packet, but I'm pretty certain it's too big to fit into the F886. ( All the info said for ipad / iphone connection, no mention of Walkman's, so I had a feeling it wasn't right !
Could anyone confirm if the L3 is incorrect ( without me having to take it out the packet ) & if so, advise me on what I should have ordered, please ?

Yes, the L3 is the wrong one, those are just for Apple products. For the Walkmans it's the L5 cable.

Feb 15, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #993 of 1,472
Now you can use the headphone out cable that comes with the E12. It is at least better than nothing. The Sony headphone out is generally quite good BTW.

Feb 15, 2014 at 6:13 AM Post #995 of 1,472
  Now you can use the headphone out cable that comes with the E12. It is at least better than nothing. The Sony headphone out is generally quite good BTW.

Yes pietcux, thanks. It's on charge at the moment. Do I have to have the volume set on the Walkman, or can I turn that down to the lowest setting, i.e. does the E12 take complete control of the volume, on the Walkman ?

Feb 15, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #996 of 1,472

Thank you for that. I'm so annoyed I ordered the wrong one !! I should have checked with you guys first !

No problem. How are you finding the F886? I brought mines recently but after testing it for a while I still preferred the lushness and warmth of the Z. But it does have more detail, a much more responsive UI and smaller. 

Feb 15, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #997 of 1,472

Yes pietcux, thanks. It's on charge at the moment. Do I have to have the volume set on the Walkman, or can I turn that down to the lowest setting, i.e. does the E12 take complete control of the volume, on the Walkman ?

I have the NWZ-A845 European version. You need to max out the volume on the Sony. Or use medium volume (15) and select high gain on the E12. But then you get into a region where the E12 starts to hiss.  The sound is much clearer by using the L5 cable LOD. So the LOD is a good investment for sure. But as I said this is for the A845 not the F886. I am still undecided which DAP to buy. So many new choices....

Feb 15, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #1,000 of 1,472

the F880/ZX1 has more detail & a touch more in the bass region than the Z1070, imo the F887/E12 would be better than the Z1070 pairing.

Both the WM-Z & E12 are warm in delivery so all you're going to get is a more lushly detailed sound... using the E12 with the ZX1/F880 will reap a different flavour, it will add a bit of warmth to what are quite clinical DAP's... for classic-rock & soul music it should work real well.

I won't be amping my F880/ZX1 is I got them. The reason why I am amping my sony Z1060 is because the headphone out has become unusable. So yea, I am really hoping that F880/ZX1 cab hold up against Z1070 -> FiiO E17 without amping...

Feb 15, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #1,001 of 1,472
  No problem. How are you finding the F886? I brought mines recently but after testing it for a while I still preferred the lushness and warmth of the Z. But it does have more detail, a much more responsive UI and smaller. 

I've just started to give my F886 / E12 some attention.....and after just two songs, I'm very, very happy that I bought the E12 !!
A little too early to give a full verdict on SQ, but initial impressions, extremely good ! It's solved the problem of the volume cap, so I'm thrilled about that.
I'm using my Sony MDR-1RNC, at present, and they sound wonderful without the NC activated. It's like having my home hi-fi, in my head.
Before I bought the E12, I'd describe the F886 as having great detail & clarity. ( I've only really listened to flac 44.1...which sounds wonderful ! ) I think depending on the quality of a well produced album, and the music genre, this player really shines !! Pre E12, I thought the high end could sound a little too much, with music that has more high end passages. ( Perhaps lacking some warmth ?? )
I've only ever owned Sony Hi MD / MD players, which I've always loved, so obviously I can't compare to anything else, but I'd have to say the F886 is as good, if not better than my MD players. I would highly recommend anyone considering buying any of the new Hi Rez Walkman's, to go ahead and purchase. ( but if not importing, you do need a amp ! )

Feb 15, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #1,002 of 1,472
  Rob... set volume to max of F886 when using headphone-out, control volume via E12.

low-gain with IEM's.. high-gain with headphones

I knew I would alter the gain, while still wearing the headphones !!
blink.gif

I'm loving the combo !!
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 16, 2014 at 7:01 AM Post #1,005 of 1,472

I've just started to give my F886 / E12 some attention.....and after just two songs, I'm very, very happy that I bought the E12 !!
A little too early to give a full verdict on SQ, but initial impressions, extremely good ! It's solved the problem of the volume cap, so I'm thrilled about that.
I'm using my Sony MDR-1RNC, at present, and they sound wonderful without the NC activated. It's like having my home hi-fi, in my head.
Before I bought the E12, I'd describe the F886 as having great detail & clarity. ( I've only really listened to flac 44.1...which sounds wonderful ! ) I think depending on the quality of a well produced album, and the music genre, this player really shines !! Pre E12, I thought the high end could sound a little too much, with music that has more high end passages. ( Perhaps lacking some warmth ?? )
I've only ever owned Sony Hi MD / MD players, which I've always loved, so obviously I can't compare to anything else, but I'd have to say the F886 is as good, if not better than my MD players. I would highly recommend anyone considering buying any of the new Hi Rez Walkman's, to go ahead and purchase. ( but if not importing, you do need a amp ! )

Glad your liking it. I thought you owned a Z as well. Must have gotten you mixed up with someone else. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back