Walkman NWZ F886 officialy announced!! [192khz/24bits]
Feb 11, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #976 of 1,472
I think the f886 really needs an amp to make it shine i hook mine up to the C&C BH and it opens it up and gives the Fiio X5(which i have for review) a better fight of it!
Its a pity,it could have been great!!

Feb 11, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #977 of 1,472
OK, some testing done...

Sources:

Stock/standard nexus 5 and Sony nwz f886

Both UK models so will have to assume that they both have an EU volume cap - I have no way of veryfying other than the supplier of the Sony advising the EU cap would be present.

Both had the same flac album drag and dropped - so should be identical in terms of music offering.

Both used stock poweramp, no eq, no effects, just standard playback options. Also checked sound options within both sources settings were left alone and unchecked where applicable.

IEMs used: TDK ie800 and Sony xba h1.

Instant impressions were the Sony was certainly louder than the nexus when using the TDK iems so to he fair they were swapped back. In this instance (with the tdks) the Sony was still just louder than the nexus 5 but not by as much as the Sony iems. In each instance the Sony sounded better when presenting the music through the earphones and I think its fair to say offers a level or 3 above the nexus - which would be expected being a designated musical player

I switched to the stock app on the Sony and IMO this is better than poweramp. To me and in my (limited) experience it delivers a better all round and more enjoyable sound

Hope that helps

Feb 11, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #978 of 1,472
  I think the f886 really needs an amp to make it shine i hook mine up to the C&C BH and it opens it up and gives the Fiio X5(which i have for review) a better fight of it!
Its a pity,it could have been great!!

are you using headphones?... the F886/7-ZX1 is designed for IEM's and easy to drive headphones... the FiiO has probably more grunt.

Feb 11, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #980 of 1,472
OK, some testing done...

Sources:

Stock/standard nexus 5 and Sony nwz f886

Both UK models so will have to assume that they both have an EU volume cap - I have no way of veryfying other than the supplier of the Sony advising the EU cap would be present.

Both had the same flac album drag and dropped - so should be identical in terms of music offering.

Both used stock poweramp, no eq, no effects, just standard playback options. Also checked sound options within both sources settings were left alone and unchecked where applicable.

IEMs used: TDK ie800 and Sony xba h1.

Instant impressions were the Sony was certainly louder than the nexus when using the TDK iems so to he fair they were swapped back. In this instance (with the tdks) the Sony was still just louder than the nexus 5 but not by as much as the Sony iems. In each instance the Sony sounded better when presenting the music through the earphones and I think its fair to say offers a level or 3 above the nexus - which would be expected being a designated musical player

I switched to the stock app on the Sony and IMO this is better than poweramp. To me and in my (limited) experience it delivers a better all round and more enjoyable sound

Hope that helps

Yes that helps, cheers.

With the volume rockers (physical tactile buttons), what increments do they increase/decrease? I am used to my Cowon adjustments of 0-40 (2.5% increments), I'm aware there are 'touch sliders' for fine tuning volume, but if soley relying on the tactile volume buttons how big are the leaps up? Example, stock player, play song, reduce volume to mute, count how many pushes of volume + key till full volume.

Feb 13, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #981 of 1,472
As the LOD of a Sony dap is relatively silent compared to others, I suggest to select the E12 instead. That amp has really a good punch. And the Sony LOD cable from Fiio will do.

After a lot of thought ! I've ordered the E12. Looking forward to receiving it. Just hope i'll be happy with it ? Of course, i'll let you know my thoughts !

Feb 14, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #982 of 1,472

the F886/7 has a slightly deeper bass to the WM-Z which in turn is deeper than your F807.

CN11 would be the best to ask as  he has both the F806 & ZX1 (F887 has same sig as ZX1 imo, I have both).

I'm pretty sure you have been asked before... but do you have an in-depth comparison between the two in term of sound quality? Do you think the extra price is justifiable for the ZX1?

Sorry if I am troubling you! I am really hoping to get a new MP3 soon 

Feb 14, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #983 of 1,472

I'm pretty sure you have been asked before... but do you have an in-depth comparison between the two in term of sound quality? Do you think the extra price is justifiable for the ZX1?

Sorry if I am troubling you! I am really hoping to get a new MP3 soon 

no probs with help & you're not troubling me.

I haven't had the ZX1 since the end of December & won't get it back until after the Bristol Hi-fi Show (UK), so I won't be able to give proper evaluation for about two weeks... Chord will be demo'ing my ZX1 as a source when they launch the Hugo DAC/Amp next weekend, I'm pretty proud in truth as I only sent it to them so they could tell me if it could be connected to the Hugo... Chord are a serious Hi-End company so imo the ZX1(F886/7) must have a lot going for it.... the downside is I'll have to wait a couple of months before I can afford a Hugo, such is life.

Rob...  the FiiO E12 is a great amp and paired real well with my Z1070... a lovely warm & detailed amp, enjoy.

Feb 14, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #984 of 1,472

... Chord will be demo'ing my ZX1

Rob...  the FiiO E12 is a great amp and paired real well with my Z1070... a lovely warm & detailed amp, enjoy.

Thanks Paul....it's been dispatched, so should receive it on Monday ? ( Or hopefully before ! ) Just having a great afternoon listening to my F886, through my Oppo 93 ( Sony Amp )

( When I first read that....I thought it was "demolishing" )
wink.gif

Feb 14, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #985 of 1,472
Well, I traded in my F806 for $180 (good condition) plus a couple games for $50 at Amazon... and my gift cards were deposited. I just ordered an F887...

Can't wait until it arrives...

Edit: And oh, btw, I have an E12 that was paired with the F806. I absolutely loved the synergy I was getting from that combo.

Feb 14, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #987 of 1,472
Well I put this on the ZX1 thread... but also ordered a PHA-2, I'm mostly interested in connecting it to my xperia rather than the f886, but I'm heavily curious between the perceptible SQ of the barebones f886, f886 + PHA-2 and xperia + PHA-2, all of them using either the XBA-30 or XBA-H3 headphones.

Feb 14, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #988 of 1,472
  Well, I traded in my F806 for $180 (good condition) plus a couple games for $50 at Amazon... and my gift cards were deposited. I just ordered an F887...

Can't wait until it arrives...

Edit: And oh, btw, I have an E12 that was paired with the F806. I absolutely loved the synergy I was getting from that combo.

Nice to read further positive feedback about the E12. I'm sure you won't be at all disappointed with the F887 !

Feb 15, 2014 at 1:00 AM Post #989 of 1,472

no probs with help & you're not troubling me.

I haven't had the ZX1 since the end of December & won't get it back until after the Bristol Hi-fi Show (UK), so I won't be able to give proper evaluation for about two weeks... Chord will be demo'ing my ZX1 as a source when they launch the Hugo DAC/Amp next weekend, I'm pretty proud in truth as I only sent it to them so they could tell me if it could be connected to the Hugo... Chord are a serious Hi-End company so imo the ZX1(F886/7) must have a lot going for it.... the downside is I'll have to wait a couple of months before I can afford a Hugo, such is life.

Wow, you might be the person that will decide on which MP3 I will be purchasing...

As of right now I am using Sony Z1060 paired with E17, definitely love the synergy and sound signature when I usee bass +2.

Then I do have a quick yes/no question...

Is the F880/ZX1(since you say the difference is negligence, though I still love to have a detail read!), better than Z1070 -> E12?

Feb 15, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #990 of 1,472

Wow, you might be the person that will decide on which MP3 I will be purchasing...

As of right now I am using Sony Z1060 paired with E17, definitely love the synergy and sound signature when I usee bass +2.

Then I do have a quick yes/no question...

Is the F880/ZX1(since you say the difference is negligence, though I still love to have a detail read!), better than Z1070 -> E12?

the F880/ZX1 has more detail & a touch more in the bass region than the Z1070, imo the F887/E12 would be better than the Z1070 pairing.

Both the WM-Z & E12 are warm in delivery so all you're going to get is a more lushly detailed sound... using the E12 with the ZX1/F880 will reap a different flavour, it will add a bit of warmth to what are quite clinical DAP's... for classic-rock & soul music it should work real well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back