Walking w/ Ety ER-6i & Shure e3(c)
Sep 17, 2004 at 11:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

HyperactiveChild

New Head-Fier
I have narrowed my choices of canalphones down to the ER-6i and the e3c. Based on a lot of reviews, the consensus I get is that I will prefer the 6i sound. However, the e3's are said to be better for microphonic effects and occlusion while walking. I would be wearing them a lot while walking, so I am wondering just how much worse the 6i's are, and how significant that is for listening and walking. Also, how much more comfortable are they in terms of feeling in the ears as well as cord placement? Obviously these questions are intended for people who have tried at least one of the two models.

Also, does anyone know where to get a good deal on the ER-6i? I have found the e3's for $120, but can't find 6i's for less than about $140.

Thanks for your help guys (& gals if applicable)

PS: if you are wondering, I will be using them with a Creative Nomad Zen Xtra, and the only half decent pair of phones I have are Senn PXC-250 noise cancellers.
280smile.gif

Sep 17, 2004 at 11:31 PM Post #2 of 8
The e3s really don't have any microphonic effects as long as you wear them over your ears. As for occlusion, it's not too bad as long as you aren't running. The er6i does have a clip though that'll lessen the microphonic effects.

I wrote in a separate thread that I found the comfort of the two headphones comparable. After using the er6i a bit longer, I have to say that the e3s are hands down much more comfortable. There are two problems with the er6i's comfort. First, the foam tip is thicker on the er6i than the tip on the e3. It also seems to be denser and of much better quality but that makes it even more difficult to insert. As a result, I feel like I've chaffed my inner ear raw trying to get the er6i tips to fit right. The second problem with the er6i is size of the driver housing. It seems small enough, but over several hours, the housing rubs against your outer ear and makes it really tender. I find the e3s much more comfortable because the tips are easier to insert and housing is also much smaller and don't rub against your ear.

The discomfort I've experienced with the er6i is so substantial for me that I've decided to send them back. It's a shame since they are some very nice earphones and in some ways better than the e3s. You should give the er6i a shot though since we all have different size ears and ear canals, and thus, the problems I've experienced might not hold for you. I purchased mine from www.palmone.com. Just add to the cart, and the price will drop to $119.99.

Sep 17, 2004 at 11:43 PM Post #3 of 8
Interesting... So in general how noticible is the microphonic effect with the 6i's? Is it something you are constantly aware of when moving?

Unfortunately PalmOne does not carry the ER-6i's on their Canadian site, so I'm out of luck there.

Sep 18, 2004 at 1:31 AM Post #6 of 8
I believe that you can get them at www.Jr.com for about $119(US) and perhaps even a better price at www.headphone.com. J&R has a toll free number that you can call for more information as, I believe does headphone.

I had the 6i's, but had problems getting a seal with the silicon tri-flange tip and also with the foam tip, so i returned them and splurged and bought the etymotic 4p's. The 4p's foam tips are much more comfortable and for me provide the correct seal.

As for microphonics (sound conducted by physical vibration of the wires) on the 6I's: that was not a problem. When I looped the wires over my ears and clipped them, unless I banged the cords purposely with a pencil, there was negligable microphonic conduction. The problem for me is the bone conduction sounds (sounds conducted by the skull and skeletal system). If you get a good seal, so much external sound is blocked off that all of your internal sounds are much more perceptible. With the music turned off and the eartips properly in place, I can hear the noise of my breath travelling through my nose, and even worse, when I walk in the city on pavement, even in sneakers, I hear the sounds of my bones vibrating with the impact of my footsteps on the pavement depending on the music I am listening to. If I am listening to the soundtrack of Moulin Rouge, Dave Matthews or Eminem, or Wagner, etc. it's not a problem. Listening to a Chopin ballade or Erik Satie and the noise is almost intolerable. Most people don't pick up on this, and I have spoken to people who actually jog with the ety 4p's.

I have no experience with the Shures, but any canal-phone is vulnerable to the bone conduction sounds, although frequently people make the mistake of calling it "microphonic conduction." You will just have to try them and see how they work for you. Be sure to find a seller with a good return policy, just in case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back