Walking the Dog
Jan 6, 2003 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

bwarfel

Head-Fier
Hello,

I am new to the message board. I have been asking for recommendations on cans to use while walking my dog. I am looking for the best sound possible and the blocking of noise is not a problem. My current list of possible choices are:

Sennheiser HD600
Sennheiser HD580
Grado 125
Grado 80
Eytomic 4p
Eytomic 4S

I listen to just about everything, but the largest concentration is 70s funk, rock, and jazz.

Are there other cans I should be considering? How about portable amplifiers?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Jan 6, 2003 at 6:57 PM Post #2 of 8
Blocking of noise IS a problem. If you want to hear the best music possible, then outside noise will intrude on the experience. All of the open phones you've listed will result in you getting just the tinny sounding trebles in any place which has noise levels significantly more than your home sitting room.

On the other hand, the Etys, and any other 'in-ear-phone' will probably seal out too much outside noise, so you won't hear the disgusted screams from the owners of legs which your dog is trying to hump.

Before Lou jumps in, I'll step in with the best headphone for this kind of use: The Sony Eggo MDR-D66SL. It's a closed phone which lets in outside noise. It sounds particularly good for a portable headphone that looks like a toy. About $100 from Audiocubes.com. Get a small portable amp and people will wonder what your dog is doing right for you to be walking around with a silly grin on your face
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2003 at 7:43 PM Post #3 of 8
Like bangra stated, it depends on how much noise you want blocked out. For me, I like to have a fair amount of noise leak through when I'm out and about walking around, most especially if it is bustling and busy around me. I get really paranoid about things happening around me that I can not hear. Also, if you are walking around, the Ety's and other canalphones might cause you to hear a bit of "pop" every time the cord hits your chest or with every step.

If you can deal with open headphones out in the world, then you may also want to consider the Koss Portapros, a cheap alternative that is easily driven with it's 60 ohms of impedance. The Grado's are also open and easily driven. The Sennheiser's you mentioned are also open, but will not be easily driven by a portable source, and will not live up to full potential. But if you plan on using them at home as well, then the Senn's may be a good choice -- if you plan on using them with a powerful enough amplifier. As well, the Portapros or the Grado's would probably do better with your musical preferences, as the Sennheiser has a failry laid back sound (and moreso when not powered correctly).

If you want a larger degree of isolation, then closed phones may be what you want. Bangra's Eggo D66 suggestion bears looking into -- I have not heard these but they do interest me. Another option in the closed, portable, easily-driven realm would be the Sony MDR-V6 (not to be mistaken with the MDR-V600, which is entirely different and not as good). The V6 blocks out a fair amount of noise, so you will be able to hear your music pretty clearly, but it does not block out (imo) unsafe amounts of noise. I would feel comfortable walking around with my V6 in an airport or a suburban neighborhood, but not in a really busy urban area. The V6 will make your rock and funk sound pretty good -- impactful and deep bass with articulate, crisp, and clear highs.

Jan 6, 2003 at 7:56 PM Post #4 of 8
Robstersan
Have you tried walking around with Grados? Because you can't hear anything. And they aren't easy to drive... At least, not like the MDR-7506, or even the DT250-80 (80 ohm impedance vs quoted 32 of the SR60).

Jan 6, 2003 at 8:43 PM Post #5 of 8
I have not tried walking around with Grados in an urban environment, but I'd imagine that in a quiet suburban neighborhood they might be OK (this comes with the qualifying statement that I have only heard the SR-60's for a very brief period of time inside a house). I find that my Portapros (which are as open as open can be) work fine for my walk to and from campus through the somewhat-urban berkeley streets. Of course, this may be due to the bass push that the Portapros give. The time I listened to the SR-60, I didn't find them particularly difficult to drive. But I have not owned them nor have I had extensive testing with them, so my comments on the ease with which they are driven are more based on ohm ratings (seeing as how the grados are rated at close to half the resistance of the portapros, and how I find the portapros pretty easily driven, I made the perhaps incorrect assumption that the grados are more easily driven... though perhaps less efficient?)

Jan 6, 2003 at 10:20 PM Post #6 of 8
bwarfel
HI: I take my dog to the park when its a lot warmer and I am going to use the Eggo D66, super mini amp ,and my mini disc or portable radio and not only smile but be laughing at the awesome sound that I am listing to.
biggrin.gif

PS
Even my dog will be laughing cause he can hear the music with his great hearing.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 6, 2003 at 11:09 PM Post #8 of 8
Sennheiser HD600/HD580 very hard to drive w/ a portable, NO noise blocking.

Eytomic 4p/4S each block TOO MUCH noise for safely walking your dog. They each knock down the volume by 23bd, so it might be unsafe to use in your situation.

For something like what you need I would reco: something easy to drive; highly efficient; and not too noise blocking. Something like a set of Koss Sporta/Porta Pros or their KCS 35. All of these are pretty decent headphones that will work for both outdoor dog walking use, and indoor use since they sound really good for the price. None of these cost more than about $35, so you can always buy one just for this use, and something really good for home use with an amp.

I would also reco NOT going with an amp for walking your dog for the same reasons above. They are wonderful when it's for use within the confines of the home, but too much volume is dangerous when outdoors.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I'm totally off here in my recomendations. Who knows, maybe you own a 10,000 acre ranch and can walk safely and freely without a thought for safety issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back