Walk The Line -- What did people think?
Nov 21, 2005 at 3:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

gratefulshrink

Headphoneus Supremus
I saw the flick last night, and enjoyed it. I thought Phoenix and
Witherspoon both did convincing jobs. I really didn't know much about Cash's biography, so I was going in fresh.

Any Cash-heads feel the movie didn't do him justice?

Nov 21, 2005 at 3:40 AM Post #2 of 13
Poor choice for Cash (Phoenix). My bud here in Nashville met and worked with Johnny a few times and said it didn't capture him at all...

Should have had Mark Collie in the title role... as strange as that sounds.

Found an online review that sums it up nicely. Remember... living here in Nashville I'm a little jaded on the project.

Nov 21, 2005 at 6:13 AM Post #3 of 13
i was considering seeing it

the actor playing jonny cash (i dont know his name) just doesnt seem like someone who could play cash, (if that makes sense) he seems like he would be more well suited being a pompus ******* (like in gladiator)

Nov 21, 2005 at 6:45 AM Post #4 of 13
Saw it, good movie. Very good performance by Phoenix as Cash, but I'd say Witherspoon's performance has been underrated so far and she was actually better. Hope to see an Oscar nomination for her (although not necessarily a win), but I don't know if it'll happen.

Definite similarities to Ray, which was somewhat better in my book. I would have liked to see more on how Cash came up with his music, that was covered briefly in the movie and then dropped.

Nov 21, 2005 at 8:35 AM Post #5 of 13
Rumor: I heard Jonnhy Cash personally picked who would play him in the movie when he discussed it before his death. Now, where I heard this I do not remember, but I know I took some backing to it, so it was most likely a reliable source. (Entertainment T.V., the radio, etc.)

I'm probably going to see it this weekend, I'll go in with an open mind, but I really don't like Witherspoon.

Nov 21, 2005 at 2:05 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzula
Saw it, good movie. Very good performance by Phoenix as Cash, but I'd say Witherspoon's performance has been underrated so far and she was actually better. Hope to see an Oscar nomination for her (although not necessarily a win), but I don't know if it'll happen.

Definite similarities to Ray, which was somewhat better in my book. I would have liked to see more on how Cash came up with his music, that was covered briefly in the movie and then dropped.

I agree -- I was worried that Witherspoon would be the "weakest link", but she rose to the occasion.

Yes, alot of similarities to Ray, but that is unavoidable, I guess.

Nov 21, 2005 at 2:09 PM Post #7 of 13
I really enjoyed the film. Great music. I thought Reese did a great job easily her best performance... though her performance in Legally Blonde 2 is a close second
icon10.gif
My only complaint would be that they fictionalized things for story purposes (John's proposal to June) that didn't need to be fictionalized.

Not Oscar worthy but entertaining especially if you like Johhny and June or just enjoy music bio pics in general.

Nov 21, 2005 at 3:52 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by x1lexure
Rumor: I heard Jonnhy Cash personally picked who would play him in the movie when he discussed it before his death. Now, where I heard this I do not remember, but I know I took some backing to it, so it was most likely a reliable source. (Entertainment T.V., the radio, etc.)

I'm probably going to see it this weekend, I'll go in with an open mind, but I really don't like Witherspoon.

He didnt pick him, but I have read in a number of places that he was thrilled with the choice. He loved Gladiator.

I always imagine him in his "8mm" role, since I have never seen Gladiator, but I thought he was really great in 8mm.

Nov 21, 2005 at 4:45 PM Post #11 of 13
I saw Walk The Line this past weekend and thought it was a great movie. Superb acting by both Jacquin Pheonix as Johnny Cash and Reese Witherspoon as June Carter. Though not Oscar caliber as BillyC has mentioned, both actor and actress did a great job, I'd definitely recommend it.

Nov 21, 2005 at 7:13 PM Post #12 of 13
Nov 21, 2005 at 7:17 PM Post #13 of 13
I was actually a tad disappointed. Reese Witherspoon has never been a favorite of mine, in any of her movies, but she actually performed admirably here. Phoenix did as well...though mostly when he was singing. The problem is that there was no real power to Phoenix's portrayal when they weren't singing. Angst, sure, depression, yea, but no fire. Then again this could have been what Cash was really like, but the overall performance seemed a tad flat. Furthermore, it never felt like a true love story between Cash and Carter, almost more like Cash nagged her into marrying him in the long run. Just didn't do it for me.

Overall pretty good, probably a 2.5/5 if I were going on a stars scale. The decision this weekend was between this and Capote, and we think we made the wrong choice.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back