Wal-Mart Wants $10 CDs
Oct 17, 2004 at 3:10 AM Post #2 of 9
Q: Who would win in a blood-feud between Walmart and RIAA?

A: We all would.

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 17, 2004 at 4:49 AM Post #3 of 9
I still hate Wal-Mart, but if they ask for a price, they generally get it. However the RIAA has done far stupider things than fight with wal-mart over price points.

Oct 17, 2004 at 9:54 PM Post #4 of 9
Wow, here's the best paragraph from that article:
Tensions are not as high now as they were last winter, but making sure Wal-Mart is happy remains one of the music industry's major priorities. That's because if Wal-Mart cut back on music, industry sales would suffer severely -- though Wal-Mart's shareholders would barely bat an eye. While Wal-Mart represents nearly twenty percent of major-label music sales, music represents only about two percent of Wal-Mart's total sales. "If they got out of selling music, it would mean nothing to them," says another label executive. "This keeps me awake at night.
I read an article on Wal-Mart in Business Week (or one of those mags), and I don't shop there anymore. Regardless, I hate the RIAA more because of their ridiculous and repeated attempts at price hikes with both legit online music and B&M retailers. The only thing I'm not sure of is the aftermath if Wal-Mart actually gets their $10 CD's; what happens at other places? Record stores like Tower don't have the bargaining room to get those prices, so will the RIAA try to recoup their insane profit margins at these places?

The real question on my mind, though, is what will happen with iTunes. Maybe prices will be raised there, but the current prices are already too expensive compared to what Wal-Mart wants. They may advertise full albums to be $10 on iTunes, but more than a few times I've come across prices way more than that for longer than average albums. There would be absolutely no point in buying an ACC rip of an album and supplying your own CD instead of going to Wal-Mart and getting the same thing with packaging for less.

Oct 17, 2004 at 10:49 PM Post #5 of 9
Well, I hardly ever buy a CD at WalMart. They only sell "edited" CD.
confused.gif
So, unless it is some oldie I'm looking for, I don't even go into the music section at WalMart.

Oct 17, 2004 at 11:18 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.PD
Well, I hardly ever buy a CD at WalMart. They only sell "edited" CD.
confused.gif
So, unless it is some oldie I'm looking for, I don't even go into the music section at WalMart.

The reason for that is stated in the quote Below about Wall-mart and Middel America and the Rual south. Now this may be a form of selective cencership however its Wall-Marts Customers that wanted this type of cencership in the First place, No need to Burn Books its alot easyer to sell only approved edited material.

""Content-wise, Wal-Mart is limited about what they sell," says one label chieftain. "Wal-Mart is Middle America's shopping headquarters, with different buying habits and consumer tastes than those who live in Manhattan and L.A." When founder Sam Walton christened the first Wal-Mart in 1962, music was never a priority -- it wasn't an everyday, easy-to-stock product like light bulbs, since the Top Ten changed so much. The chain also had specific objections to music. Walton wanted all stores to remain family-friendly, and in the rural South, rock & roll had the potential to turn away many customers. In 1986, the Rev. Jimmy Swaggart led one such campaign to ban music from Wal-Mart, saying rock fostered "adultery, alcoholism, drug abuse, necrophilia, bestiality and you name it." Albums and magazines about rock (including Rolling Stone) were temporarily pulled from the Wal-Mart shelves."

Oct 18, 2004 at 2:23 AM Post #7 of 9
I'm not the biggest fan of Wal Mart, but if they can leverage for CDs to be cheaper, I'm all for it.

Oct 18, 2004 at 2:28 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by jefemeister
I'm not the biggest fan of Wal Mart, but if they can leverage for CDs to be cheaper, I'm all for it.

Agreed. The only time I've ever looked at Wal-Mart's CD selection is for a laugh when I'm bored. But if they can lower the prices on new CDs, then the prices of used CDs will drop, and I'll be the happiest person in the United States of America.

Oct 19, 2004 at 6:36 AM Post #9 of 9
Bwwwaahhhahah. RIAA, take that! Best news I've heard in days!

Hail Satan (Wallmart)!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back