Waiting For the Diesels
Mar 20, 2007 at 9:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Buggs

New Head-Fier
Looks like it will 2008 before the onslaught (well I hope it is and onslaught) of diesels in the USA.

Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen, BMW, Audi have all announced diesels for 2008 that can be sold in every state. BTW the Audi diesel won again at Sebring.

IMO as far as SUVs go. The first one with 35+mpg wins that category and you can place your bets that it won't be Ford, GM or Chrysler.

I am hoping for a 40+mpg sedan a' la Passat or something like from all the ones that have announced.

IMO, diesels will be huge.

Mar 20, 2007 at 10:28 PM Post #2 of 40
diesel fuel usually costs more than premium so I don't see the savings... especially if they cost more than regular gas engines.

Mar 20, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #3 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
diesel fuel usually costs more than premium so I don't see the savings... especially if they cost more than regular gas engines.

New diesel engines will cost ~$1K more than gasoline. True diesel fuel costs more but at 40+ mpg, that about more than doubles the mileage of most cars.

The older diesel Jetta got 48mpg.

So even if you have a gas miser car that gets 30mpg and the same car with a diesel engine gets 44mpg, that's 60% increase and diesel fuel only costs about $0.25 more than regular gas (about 15% more).

Diesels have fewer moving parts, no spark plugs historically last 2X as long as a gas engine, and need fewer trips to the shop.

Good deal by my math.

Mar 20, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #4 of 40
Amazing that you guys don't have diesels! Virtually every model available here is available in diesel. Usually costs about $1k-2k more initially, but tend to be easier on fuel so payback occurs over time. Also lots of people prefer driving diesel, although I think the differences won't be as noticeable with automatics.

Here diesel was always cheaper, by upto 15c a litre (70c per gallon) but at the moment is only 1-2c a litre cheaper. Very very few here would drive a petrol car with an engine bigger than 2000cc - above this virtually everything is diesel only (luxury marques only would be petrol above this).

Many public service vehicles (buses etc) and quite a few private cars are now adapted to run on vegetable oil - this only requires a small modification to the fuel injection system of a diesel engine. Both new production veg oils and recycled oils from fry pans (deep fry eg chips shops/,cdonalds etc) are used!

BTW you should google a bit on Otto Diesel the inventor of the engine, a very interesting story!

Mar 21, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #5 of 40
I hate to rain on this diesel parade but....I had (as in past tense) a 2004 Jetta TDI....Got great mileage when it would start....But it stayed in the shop most of the time. I might add that I bought this car new and alway had the scheduled maintenance done at a VW authorized dealer. I might consider a diesel in the future but it won't be from Germany and neither will any future car that I buy. WATCH OUT FOR GERMAN CARS!!!!

Mar 21, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #6 of 40
its about time, with everyone so concerned about gas mileage, diesels the way to go, hybrids are not without their problems, including the amount of environmental damage caused in their production (primarly from the manufacturing the batteries)

the other thing to keep in mind is that a smaller displacement diesel can provide the necessary torque for an easy to live with car day to day driving around town, along with the proven reliability of the more robustly built motors to deal with the higher cyclinder pressures then their gas counterparts.

linked from another forum, an interesting read on the drawbacks to hybrids environmentally

"Prius Outdoes Hummer in Environmental Damage
By Chris Demorro
Staff Writer

The Toyota Prius has become the flagship car for those in our society so environmentally conscious that they are willing to spend a premium to show the world how much they care. Unfortunately for them, their ultimate ‘green car’ is the source of some of the worst pollution in North America; it takes more combined energy per Prius to produce than a Hummer. Before we delve into the seedy underworld of hybrids, you must first understand how a hybrid works. For this, we will use the most popular hybrid on the market, the Toyota Prius.
The Prius is powered by not one, but two engines: a standard 76 horsepower, 1.5-liter gas engine found in most cars today and a battery- powered engine that deals out 67 horsepower and a whooping 295ft/lbs of torque, below 2000 revolutions per minute. Essentially, the Toyota Synergy Drive system, as it is so called, propels the car from a dead stop to up to 30mph. This is where the largest percent of gas is consumed. As any physics major can tell you, it takes more energy to get an object moving than to keep it moving. The battery is recharged through the braking system, as well as when the gasoline engine takes over anywhere north of 30mph. It seems like a great energy efficient and environmentally sound car, right?
You would be right if you went by the old government EPA estimates, which netted the Prius an incredible 60 miles per gallon in the city and 51 miles per gallon on the highway. Unfortunately for Toyota, the government realized how unrealistic their EPA tests were, which consisted of highway speeds limited to 55mph and acceleration of only 3.3 mph per second. The new tests which affect all 2008 models give a much more realistic rating with highway speeds of 80mph and acceleration of 8mph per second. This has dropped the Prius’s EPA down by 25 percent to an average of 45mpg. This now puts the Toyota within spitting distance of cars like the Chevy Aveo, which costs less then half what the Prius costs.
However, if that was the only issue with the Prius, I wouldn’t be writing this article. It gets much worse.
Building a Toyota Prius causes more environmental damage than a Hummer that is on the road for three times longer than a Prius. As already noted, the Prius is partly driven by a battery which contains nickel. The nickel is mined and smelted at a plant in Sudbury, Ontario. This plant has caused so much environmental damage to the surrounding environment that NASA has used the ‘dead zone’ around the plant to test moon rovers. The area around the plant is devoid of any life for miles.
The plant is the source of all the nickel found in a Prius’ battery and Toyota purchases 1,000 tons annually. Dubbed the Superstack, the plague-factory has spread sulfur dioxide across northern Ontario, becoming every environmentalist’s nightmare.
“The acid rain around Sudbury was so bad it destroyed all the plants and the soil slid down off the hillside,” said Canadian Greenpeace energy-coordinator David Martin during an interview with Mail, a British-based newspaper.
All of this would be bad enough in and of itself; however, the journey to make a hybrid doesn’t end there. The nickel produced by this disastrous plant is shipped via massive container ship to the largest nickel refinery in Europe. From there, the nickel hops over to China to produce ‘nickel foam.’ From there, it goes to Japan. Finally, the completed batteries are shipped to the United States, finalizing the around-the-world trip required to produce a single Prius battery. Are these not sounding less and less like environmentally sound cars and more like a farce?
Wait, I haven’t even got to the best part yet.
When you pool together all the combined energy it takes to drive and build a Toyota Prius, the flagship car of energy fanatics, it takes almost 50 percent more energy than a Hummer - the Prius’s arch nemesis.
Through a study by CNW Marketing called “Dust to Dust,” the total combined energy is taken from all the electrical, fuel, transportation, materials (metal, plastic, etc) and hundreds of other factors over the expected lifetime of a vehicle. The Prius costs an average of $3.25 per mile driven over a lifetime of 100,000 miles - the expected lifespan of the Hybrid.
The Hummer, on the other hand, costs a more fiscal $1.95 per mile to put on the road over an expected lifetime of 300,000 miles. That means the Hummer will last three times longer than a Prius and use less combined energy doing it.
So, if you are really an environmentalist - ditch the Prius. Instead, buy one of the most economical cars available - a Toyota Scion xB. The Scion only costs a paltry $0.48 per mile to put on the road. If you are still obsessed over gas mileage - buy a Chevy Aveo and fix that lead foot.
One last fun fact for you: it takes five years to offset the premium price of a Prius. Meaning, you have to wait 60 months to save any money over a non-hybrid car because of lower gas expenses."

Mar 21, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #7 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by nysulli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
its about time, with everyone so concerned about gas mileage, diesels the way to go, hybrids are not without their problems, including the amount of environmental damage caused in their production (primarly from the manufacturing the batteries)

the other thing to keep in mind is that a smaller displacement diesel can provide the necessary torque for an easy to live with car day to day driving around town, along with the proven reliability of the more robustly built motors to deal with the higher cyclinder pressures then their gas counterparts.

linked from another forum, an interesting read on the drawbacks to hybrids environmentally

"Prius Outdoes Hummer in Environmental Damage
By Chris Demorro
Staff Writer

The source of the information is as important as the information itself.

http://clubs.ccsu.edu/recorder/edito...asp?NewsID=188
http://www.boston.com/news/local/con...trage_protest/
http://www.nbc30.com/news/10992118/detail.html

Mar 21, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #8 of 40
As mentioned by nysulli, it's very easy to turn your diesel powered vehicle into a veggie-oil burning badboy! (or girl) There's an outfit in California that sells kits for almost all diesel powered vehicles available in the US.

There's a guy that comes into my work (I work in a tire shop) that converted his old Volkswagen Rabbit pickup on his own for less than $500 in parts. He doesn't pay for fuel. He get's most of his fuel from a Chinese food restaurant that is all too greatful to have him take it. With a high flow hand pump, a filter cloth, and 10 gallon Diesel canisters he fills up once a month no charge. You can't beat that. Also, you can make BioDiesel at home, which involves using lye (so it's not a project that everyone should try), that can be put directly into any (current) diesel engine. I don't know how hard the new low-sulfur diesel engines will be to convert, but it will probably still be worth it.

Mar 21, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #10 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the California environmentalists will make sure that diesels never become popular around here.

If they're not complete ignoramus' they won't stand in the way. The new, low-sulfur diesel vehicles to be released in 08' are far, FAR cleaner than current gasoline engines. Even the diesels of the recent past (intercooled turbo diesels) are cleaner in most aspects than gasoline engines.

Mar 21, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #11 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If they're not complete ignoramus' the won't stand in the way. The new low-sulfur diesel vehicles to be released in 08' are far, FAR cleaner than current gasoline engines. Even the diesels of the recent past (intercooled turbo diesels) are cleaner in most aspects than gasoline engines.

really? that's good news. i was a little put off when many companies did not want to sell their diesel cars in California because they knew it wouldn't pass emisions.

Mar 21, 2007 at 1:08 AM Post #12 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
really? that's good news. i was a little put off when many companies did not want to sell their diesel cars in California because they knew it wouldn't pass emisions.

California has some goofy, bureaucratic emissions laws but it would truly be sad if the new diesels didn't meet CA's emission requirements.

Mar 21, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #13 of 40
blink.gif
I'd read in the news not so long ago that Merc's 300D has been into an experiment having its Mercedes 300D parts to use a straight vegetable oil. It has been successful. I don't what went wrong that the concept wasn't adopted in other models...
rolleyes.gif

Mar 21, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #14 of 40
I'll never buy a diesel. the fuel stinks and the exhaust fumes are worse. Ever get caught in heavy traffic behind a bus or diesel pickup? It'll make you sick to your stomach in no time
blink.gif

Mar 21, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #15 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll never buy a diesel. the fuel stinks and the exhaust fumes are worse. Ever get caught in heavy traffic behind a bus or diesel pickup? It'll make you sick to your stomach in no time
blink.gif

OMG you are crazy, I LOVE the smell of PM and diesel fuel
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back