Wait time for BUDA?
Sep 3, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #31 of 44
I think I found the problem. Because of pedalhead's post, I looked on my DPS. On the back, it says 230V. I never thought they might send the wrong one since we are both in the US.

Unfortunately, I didn't think to check before I had the BUDA plugged into the DPS. Now my question is, could I have totally ruined the BUDA or DPS by using the 230V DPS with it? I had it running for about an hour.

Sep 3, 2009 at 7:57 AM Post #32 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I found the problem. Because of pedalhead's post, I looked on my DPS. On the back, it says 230V. I never thought they might send the wrong one since we are both in the US.

Unfortunately, I didn't think to check before I had the BUDA plugged into the DPS. Now my question is, could I have totally ruined the BUDA or DPS by using the 230V DPS with it? I had it running for about an hour.

As per thread on t'other forum, I doubt running it under-volted is going to cause any problems, but worth checking with Headroom. Flipping the power module around is dead easy, definitely worth having a go.

Sep 3, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #33 of 44
I wouldn't suggest using the DPS with the wrong voltage and it's hard not to believe that the poor sound you heard wasn't related to this (although I doubt the DPS itself was damaged). The voltage seems to be very easy to fix yourself . According to the DPS manual, this is what you need to do: "The Power Entry Module is where the Power Supply is plugged into the wall. The power entry module can also be easily changed into other common international voltages. Using a coin or screw driver, open the module on the right side, and turn the voltage indicator around to read the appropriate voltage for your region." I don't know exactly what the power entry module does, but it sounds like it is some type of step-down transformer.

Sep 3, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #34 of 44
I switched around the voltage on the DPS and it now is working perfectly and sound very good (for the few minutes I listened this morning). I also talked to Mike the tech-y at Headroom and he says that there is very little chance that anything would wrong and if there was a would hear something pretty bad. So I am just going to enjoy it for now (but but also do some critical listening to make sure nothing is off).

Sep 4, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #36 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice rigs there Shelly and Pedalhead! Glad you are enjoying them. Cheers.

Thanks Miguel. I am enjoying BUDA with a pair of balanced HD650's right now. They really do sound fantastic balanced. I am waiting to try out the HD800's with it after I am done with my work tonight.
biggrin.gif

Sep 4, 2009 at 8:15 AM Post #37 of 44
Quote:

Nice rigs there Shelly and Pedalhead! Glad you are enjoying them. Cheers.

Cheers mate. The UDAC/BUDA/HD800 combination is really punchy, with superb resolution. Dynamics are definitely improved with balanced...although the caveat is still there that it could just be the cable "upgrade", although I doubt it, but then I'm mostly in the snake oil camp when it comes to expensive cables. I'll be able to test that soon.

I have to say, I really can't hear any difference whatsoever when A/B switching the UDAC with the CIAudio VDA2, but then the latter has always been, I think, a fantastic value DAC.

Once I've spent some proper time with these I'll try & put together a more detailed & cohesive review.

Sep 6, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #39 of 44
Thought I should share some pics. The GS-1 will go in my other setup once I am done with comparisons.
tongue.gif

dscf0008tt.jpg

dscf0009w.jpg

Pedalhead: I am guessing balancing > cable upgrade. I have an upgraded cable (apuresound v3) that is terminated to a 4 pin XLR. So, using SE and balanced adapters, I can the HD800 balanced and SE with the same cable. I haven't done this yet but will at some point.

Another thing, I have been going back and forth with the gain settings on the BUDA, with the HD800's. High is no good. I think I prefer medium to low with the but I'll have to play around some more with it.

Miguel: Thanks for the compliments!
biggrin.gif

Right now, I am enjoying Egberto Gismonti's "Solo" album with the BUDA and HD800's, sounds really nice.
atsmile.gif

Sep 7, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #41 of 44
Hey nice pictures shellylh, you have the exact same furniture as me, a sanus system one, that give me a good idea of the size of the components, i thought them to be bigger.
tongue_smile.gif

You now have the perfect setup for a review.

Sep 7, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #42 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by pedalhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great pics! Love those Woo tubes (Sophia Princess?) I agree, almost certainly the balanced benefit will be what I'm hearing most if not all. Anyway, I'm really enjoying my new toys so far
k701smile.gif

Thanks! yes, they are Sophia Princess.
smily_headphones1.gif
Listening to HD800 and HD650's balanced and SE (with the same cable) out of the BUDA+DPS, I was definitely hearing improvements in the bass and fullness of the music. Also, it was hard for the BUDA to drive the HD800's SE on low but on balanced, they could easily be driven on low. I think I am starting to agree with you that the HD800's seem to be sound better on low for some reason (maybe smoother in the treble?).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omega17TheTrue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey nice pictures shellylh, you have the exact same furniture as me, a sanus system one, that give me a good idea of the size of the components, i thought them to be bigger.
tongue_smile.gif

You now have the perfect setup for a review.

That rack is a solid and affordable piece of equipment.

As much as I am diggin' the BUDA+DPS, I think I am going to return it. The main reason is that I am going to be using it as a second rig when I don't have time to let the tubes warm up or using it for background music. Comparing it to the Woo, I still prefer the Woo to the BUDA. The BUDA just seems a bit drier (I guess I am a tube person) and the bass on the Woo is stronger (maybe with more time, the BUDA would open up). Because of this, I don't think that I would be using it (instead of the Woo) much for my listening sessions. The BUDA in balanced operation is slightly better than my current backup amp, the GS-1. However, I am not sure that it is worth the cost increase for a second setup (that I often use when I am not really listening to the music but am mainly using it when I am doing other things). It is also much warmer than the GS-1 (but not as much as the Woo) which is a negative since I wanted something that wouldn't generate much heat for the summer months. The other thing (maybe the main thing) that is probably influencing my decision is that the (irrational) fear that something may be slightly wrong with amp since I used it with the 230V DPS for an hour or so. This is probably really stupid, but since listening to music is an emotional activity, emotions/fear do play a role in the process.

I hope that nobody get the wrong impression. The BUDA is a very fine amp and I think it sounds very nice with the HD800. Perhaps if the DPS mixup wouldn't have happened, I would be keeping it in fact.

Sep 7, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #43 of 44
Shelly, stop showing off w/ the kind of picture you posted!
wink.gif
On the other hand do give the BUDA a good 200 hours of burn-in to fully open up. Then if you still prefer the other gear return it. Cheers.

Sep 7, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #44 of 44
Quote:

Shelly, stop showing off w/ the kind of picture you posted!
wink.gif

k701smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back