Wait or new DAC?
Aug 5, 2015 at 11:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

musicbuff

100+ Head-Fier
I just purchased a new computer with the Windows 10 operating system. My DAC, Calyx 24/192, only operates up to windows 8. Does anyone know if a Windows 10 upgrade is on the horizon? I tried to email Calyx to find out but got the message "Delivery Status Notification (Failed)." I like my DAC a lot but I need one that operates on Windows 10. Help!

Aug 5, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #2 of 8
How do you know your Calyx24/192 will only work with up to Win 8?
The Calyx comes with the ESS Sabre 9018 chip, other manufacturers, like Hifimediy offer Win 10 driver for their product with the same chip.
Maybe ESS has updated drivers?

Aug 6, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #3 of 8
"How do you know your Calyx24/192 will only work with up to Win 8?"

Answer:     When I try to install my DAC with its accompanying disc I get this message:

This setup cannot run on the current operating system.
Supported systems are:

Windows XP 32 and 64 bit
Windows Server 2003 32 and 64 bit
Windows Home Server 32 bit
Windows Vista 32 and 64 bit
Windows Server 2008 32 and 64 bit
Windows 7 32 and 64 bit
Windows Server 2008 R2 64 bit

I guess that doesn't even include Windows 8.  The computer I originally had my Calyx installed on used Vista and it ran perfectly.  No such luck on the new computer.

Aug 6, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #4 of 8
  "How do you know your Calyx24/192 will only work with up to Win 8?"

Answer:     When I try to install my DAC with its accompanying disc I get this message:
This setup cannot run on the current operating system.
Supported systems are:
Windows XP 32 and 64 bit
Windows Server 2003 32 and 64 bit
Windows Home Server 32 bit
Windows Vista 32 and 64 bit
Windows Server 2008 32 and 64 bit
Windows 7 32 and 64 bit
Windows Server 2008 R2 64 bit
I guess that doesn't even include Windows 8.  The computer I originally had my Calyx installed on used Vista and it ran perfectly.  No such luck on the new computer.

So the issue is the driver disk that came with the Calya does not have a Win 10 driver.

Might try contacting the people at ESS and see if they have a Win 10 driver for your ES9108 DAC chip (inside the Calyx).
http://www.esstech.com/index.php?p=support_contact

Aug 7, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #5 of 8
Thanks PurpleAngel, you hit the nail on the head.  The disc that came with my Calyx Dac was outdated.  My DAC is (finally) hooked up to my new Windows 10 computer and the music is as sweet as before (if not sweeter). I downloaded the latest driver from Calyx's website (after several hours of trial and error). After that when I played my files (stored on an external hard drive) there were subtle but still annoying clicks and pops and I was really disgusted. I read on JRiver's forum where someone said the speed of the rip made a difference. So I ripped a Gospel Jazz CD and it came out perfect. Yeah, I've got my work cut out for me re-ripping hundreds of CD's but when the music sounds as good as it does, who cares.  Thanks for taking the time to enlighten a not-so-computer-savvy-music- enthusiast.

Aug 8, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #6 of 8
Have you tried ripping with EAC (exact audio copy)? It has some pretty good error checking, and even keeps a log of any errors so you can tell if your rip had problems. http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

Aug 8, 2015 at 5:44 AM Post #7 of 8
Have you tried ripping with EAC (exact audio copy)? It has some pretty good error checking, and even keeps a log of any errors so you can tell if your rip had problems. http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

Some people who also use EAC say that using it in Secure Mode and at the slowest speed still yields better rips. And if the OP isn't using EAC yet, get on that, it's an awesome program. It or dbPoweramp are the best rippers out there. I've mainly used dbPoweramp until lately when I became a convert to EAC in Secure Mode.

Good to hear about your DAC drivers, though. I'm in a similar boat with my DACs... :frowning2:  Loving Windows 10 Pro, though. It's one hell of a snappy system and got rid of those terrible, full-screen native apps...

Aug 10, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #8 of 8
I've used EAC in the past and found it to be an excellent program.  But then I read this:

Media Center's audio disc ripping tools are full-featured and produce rips of equal or better quality than other third-party ripping tools. There's little reason to use anything else for quality reasons. However, if you find discs that aren't available in YADB, you may want to use another tool to look up metadata for the rip. A good, free audio ripping application that can access the GraceNote database is Exact Audio Copy (EAC). If you find one of these, please submit it to YADB after you get the metadata looked up!

Just downloaded EAC and will use it again.  Thanks for the reminder!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back