Wait for 8g iPod Classic or get one now?
Aug 24, 2011 at 11:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

MosinNagantMan

New Head-Fier
With Steve Jobs stepping down, what do you think the new CEO is going to do. I want an iPod (real one not a Shuffle like I currently have lol) but I was waiting to see if they would do anything for the 10 year anniversery. But also I've noticed like on their website Apple hardly even shows the Classic anymore.  And mainly the market now is for the "hip" stuff not sound quality, with Jobs gone the company is probably going to have to discontinue something, and I think it would be the Classic.

Would you get one now or wait and see what happens?

Aug 24, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #2 of 7
Now, as I don't think there will be a 8g. They are moving towards an cloud stream strategy at least according to engadget. They hope that more people will buy iphones and streaming music from the cloud.

Aug 26, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #3 of 7
I hate they are taking this approach. It may be good for some, but you have to shell out money for a player. Then shell out more money on a continuous basis to rent storage space. Then there's the problem of streaming. You can't get 3g speeds everywhere, and even then you are still prone to a lot of hiccups with data throughput. I would rather have my data right there on the device so there wouldn't be any problems with playback. I see the cloud being a good backup source for those willing to shell out the cash, but definitely not for primary storage.

Aug 28, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #4 of 7
8g Classic, never really looked into this. I have the 80gb classic, and its great! I dont know what id do without it, so much space and i dont need to touch anything to multiply the price my 5

Aug 31, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #5 of 7
Yeah I know it does suck the market is starting to lose the sense of ownership. I HAD the first of the Classic iPods and it was stolen. I've always wanted another one since. Since Apple has a rep for changing and making their stuff cooler every year I waited lol. But it's been what? 3 years? and they havn't really done anything too special with the Classic so I guess it's time to get another.

Aug 31, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #6 of 7
I mean, you tend to get a Classic for storage space, and maybe sound quality (depending on which generation), so there's not a whole lot of reason to hold your breath for a new version, right?

The Classic is--right now--pretty slim, light enough for jeans, and has a large capacity. 

Sep 1, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #7 of 7
What's holding you back from getting a classic now or even finding a 5g and diymod-ing it? If you're fine with hard drive style storage why wait? Since everything has a music player tacked on most consumers probably think the classic is a one trick pony, but I don't think Apple would ever discontinue it.  If anything the nano is evolving further into the super portable range and that or the shuffle will have to go.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back