Wagner Recordings Reccomendations
Sep 18, 2005 at 2:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

CMacDaddy

100+ Head-Fier
I'm a sucker for Wagner (Specifically 'Elsa's Proccession'), but I dont own a CD with it besides a performance by my high school band.

Can anyone reccomend a dynamic, powerful Wagner Disc that hopefully includes Elsa's Procession?

Many of the ones I found on Amazon are in a foreign language, and the small bit of "sample" audio is terrible.

Sep 18, 2005 at 2:25 AM Post #2 of 8
Funny thing about Elsa's Procession: not so popular with orchestra versions and hard to find except in the full opera.
If it's Wagner you want, there are many extremely fine compilations of the orchestral music: double disk sets for the price of one on Deutsche Gramophone, EMI, Delos are all fine. The EMI with Boult is a personal favorite, and the Delos with Seattle has tremendous sound as well as fine playing and conducting. Any would be fine. But none has the Procession. There are wedding music disks that carry it, but I'd skip that option. There are several recordings of arrangements for brass and band, but full orchestra? Good luck.

Sep 18, 2005 at 2:35 AM Post #3 of 8
My favorite orchestral Wagner CDs are Szell's Wagner Without Words and Tennstedt's two CDs of overtures and excerpts. Either of those will satisfy your needs and desires.

See ya
Steve

Sep 18, 2005 at 2:40 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

There are several recordings of arrangements for brass and band, but full orchestra? Good luck.

I love great sounding brass, so if its just brass and band, that would be OK. What are some of those discs?

Is this the 'wagner without words' you mention?
link to amazon

the samples from that sound terrible (maybe because its 20 kb/s). I'm just trying to make sure yall vouch for something with such bad sample tracks. Your words will be reassuring.

Sep 18, 2005 at 4:42 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by CMacDaddy
I love great sounding brass, so if its just brass and band, that would be OK. What are some of those discs?

The Mercury recording with Fennell and the Eastman Wind Ensemble is superb, and so is the sound given its age.
Then there's another band version on Summit with Northwestern
And on EMI the Philharmonia brass so a superb job of it.
ArkivMusik, Tower, et al should carry all of them.

Sep 18, 2005 at 8:07 AM Post #7 of 8
It's not powerful but Uri Caine's Wagner e Venezia (jazz version) is different.

Sep 18, 2005 at 5:50 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by CMacDaddy
Is this the 'wagner without words' you mention?
link to amazon

That's it. Szell's Wagner collection has been a primary recommendation since it was released in the sixties. If you want a digital recording, go with Tennstedt.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back