Wadia Vs Wadia
Mar 25, 2006 at 11:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

TheMooN

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys

I am wondering where the 830 ~ 860\1 might hold an advantage in its sonic performance and signature (if any) over the 302, and would be grateful for any sage user advice .

Mar 25, 2006 at 12:19 PM Post #2 of 7
I've heard that the 830 has a very similar sound signature as the 301 and 302and somewhat similar internals (but not too sure about this last fact). I suppose the 861 should be a nice improvement over the previously mentioned models because it is higher up the Wadia line (and its current counterpart is 581 model).

If anyone could chime-in with more info that would be great and possibly how the Esound E5 stacks up against the 830, which would be appreciated as well.

Apr 24, 2006 at 6:24 AM Post #4 of 7
OK. I am passing on second hand information gleaned from research. The Wadia 301 and 302 are very different CD players because the former has the discontinued Pioneer PD-S505 Stable Platter Transport system which had full disc clamping while the latter uses the Philips VAE-1250. A lot of AudioAsylum members prefer the 301 for its Pioneer disc clamping system. The other major difference between the 301 and 302 is that the 302 has totally redesigned power supply, digital, and analog circuitry that was essentially borrowed from the discontinued Wadia 861, 861b, and 861SE without the TEAC CMK VRDS transport system. A lot of people who either auditioned the Wadia 302 or are current owners have commented about how it is the most radically different sounding Wadia so far. I have heard it at Audio Connection in Verona NJ where I plan to buy it this October 2006. This machine is effortlessly transparent with unreal resolution, very wideband dynamic shading with pointed note attack and realistic decay plus it is one of the few CD players that captures the air surrounding each note along with preserving the original soundstage dimensions intact. Based on my research between analog and digital source components, it seems to me that it is voiced like a vinyl turntable. A chief reason is due to the proprietary Wadia 3.1 DigiMaster software that uses spline reconstruction of oversampled data bits. The Ayre Acoustics CX-7E or C-5xe use the Xilink FPGA software in a two stage up/oversampling strategy: first, it takes 16bit/44.1kHz upsampled to 24bit/176.4kHz, second it takes that to 1.4112MHz. In the process, it leaves the null bits alone and it does not create any new information. The Wadia DigiMaster 3.1 at 24bit/705.6 or 768kHz actually creates a new data structure using spline reconstruction through DSP processing which preserves correct time domain performance. The Wadia 830, 301, and 302 do not utilize the 48lbs monolithic design chassis found in their statement 581, 581i, 781, or 781i or discontinued 850, 860, 861, 861b, and 861SE units. In a nutshell, the Wadia 830, 301, and 302 are evolutionary upgrades to their product line of budget CD players. However, the Wadia 302 is current. New upgrades include upgraded digital and analog boards with no negative feedback just like the Ayre Acoustics CX-7E or C-5xe, better electrical grounding to prevent ground loop hum that lowers the noise floor, and ten times as much reserve capacitance with a newly redesigned switching power supply board that is accurate to 1/2 MHz with isolated outputs. The Philips VAE-1250 is also another big change with the 302. It is a modern CD-ROM drive with modern error correction that is bracket mounted for greater mechanical isolation. The only thing that bugs me about the Wadia 302 is that when I put a CD in and it searches, you can hear it buzzing while it is looking for the disc's data. It is like the external Plextor PX-4824TU CD-R/RW drive that I have that makes this horrible buzzing sound whenever it is reading a disc such as during EAC secure mode extraction. I can hear it faintly through my Ue-10 PRO up close. Wadia chose the Philips VAE-1250 not only because the Pioneer PD-S505 is discontinued, but they feel it produces comparable low jitter performance to that of the PD-S505 for the next 5 years without adding an additional $3500 USD to the price by going with the TEAC CMK VRDS-NEO for their budget entry level CD player. The other major difference between the Wadia 830, 301 and 302 is that the 302 has a redesigned LED display that with larger fonts and there are more hard buttons on the front to control individual functions of this player.

Apr 24, 2006 at 11:25 PM Post #5 of 7
FYI: Wadia has introduced an upgrade for the 830. It adds a second power supply. Reportedly improves SQ.

Apr 25, 2006 at 12:00 AM Post #6 of 7
I contacted jefemeister (I believe he is a Wadia employee/team member) about a month ago regarding a very similar concern.

Here is his response:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jefemeister
The 830 and the 301 are very similar machines and share a very similar sound. I doubt I could tell one from the other without relying on the cosmetics. Really the only differences are few little changes on the decoding board, and perhaps a few changes in the transport mechanism's power supply. The biggest change in the actual audio path is the following:

830:
-two BB PCM1702 DACs per channel (one for each phase of the balanced signal)
-a BB OPA604 opamp on each DAC to handle current-voltage conversion
-trim pots to handle DC offset.

301:
-one BB PCM1704 DAC per channel (balanced signal derived in the output stage)
- a custom IC called SwiftCurrent which is a zero-feedback current-voltage converter.
- a servo to control DC offset.

The 302's main audio board is practically identical to the 301's except that the layout and a few other things were tweaked. Everything else in the 302 is brand new. The 302 sounds vastly different than any other Wadia product. It sounds fantastic but it is a departure from the Wadia house sound.

Long story short, the 830 would be very hard to beat at used-market prices. I'm confident it would best an E5 but I have not done the comparison.

Hope it helps, feel free to share this message if you like.

Jeff

Hope this helps
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back