Wadia iTransport or Apple TV: Call for Advice
Jan 3, 2009 at 2:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Pale Rider

1000+ Head-Fier
All:
I have read through the threads on the Wadia iTransport, and the Apple TV, as well as many--or at least as many as I could find--of the comments about either sprinkled here and there. I am trying to decide which of these two devices might best suit my needs. I already own two Apple TVs, so I am very familiar with the device. What I am focused on here is the system for my office. Currently, I listen to files at the office off my MacBook Pro, feeding a rolled iBasso D2 Viper. Pretty soon a Jasmine T-200 will join this setup. I listen through Westone 3s, Earpeace LiveWires, Beyer 770/250, and Senn 600 cans. I also on occasion use my RWA iMod as a source in the office. I am about to shift to a stand-alone DAC, in front of an M-Cubed, which will eventually drive those cans, plus a set of Darth v.4s. I want to stop using the MacBook Pro as my source, in part because the load I put on it at work can sometimes interrupt music playback.

Seems to me the Wadia has the advantage of encouraging portable use, in the sense that whatever iPod I use to travel with can also be the office unit. Downsides seem to include the poor remote control functionality, no menu interface video output [not the Wadia's fault], and.......? OTOH, the ATV can be controlled completely by my iPhone, can sync wirelessly with my MBP as a source, and has full video functionality if I choose to use it. It also draws a fair bit of power and runs warm. The ATV also has no local "physical interface" like the Wadia/iPod does. I expect the whole rig to be within three feet of me, i.e., on the credenza behind my desk. Although I have a fair number of legacy lossy files, I have about 30gb of Apple and other lossless files.

I am seeking the benefit of any advice or input anyone might have to help guide the selection of what makes the most sense here, especially with respect to any advantages or disadvantages of either approach I might not have considered. If I have missed a thread or post covering this topic, or plopped myself in the wrong forum, my apologies. Thanks in advance!

P.S. I should mention that this next week is MacWorld. Rumors abound of course, but some that might bear on this question for me are: (1) the possibility that Apple will release ATV's software for deployment on any Mac; (2) possibility of an ATV upgrade; (3) possible new Mac Mini.

Feb 7, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #2 of 3
As far as I can tell, one of the main advantages of the Wadia iTransport is that it has a coax digital out, while the Apple TV has a TOSLINK digital out. Most consider coax to offer better sound quality than TOSLINK, although I suspect you wouldn't be able to tell the difference unless you had a really expensive audio rig.

Whichever device you use, you will want to make sure that the DAC you buy has the right kind of digital input (i.e. if you buy the Wadia, you want a coax digital input; if you use the Apple TV, you want a TOSLINK input.) Most DACs have both of these inputs. Just avoid a DAC that only has a USB input.

Feb 7, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #3 of 3
I'd go with the Apple TV, if for no other reason than Front Row is more enjoyable to use. Fiddling with my iPod while it's docked is annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back