Wadia iTransport & Its Rotten Remote
Dec 11, 2008 at 4:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

SunWarrior

100+ Head-Fier
I continue to love the sound quality of my new Wadia iTransport, the greater detail, the fuller bass, the richer overtones.

(I don't quite have the language for this.)

However, I hate the supplied, minimalist remote. All it can do is go from track to track in the same playlist. It doesn't let me go from playlist to playlist, for example.

And, even it it did, how would I know which playlist I was choosing.

So, is there a better remote that will work with this Wadia-Apple setup?

I've seen non-digital-out iPod docks that have remotes with little screens that let you view all your playlists, tracks, artists, etc. -- just as on the Pod itself -- and pick and choose among them.

So, what are my options? Would a universal remote, like from Logitech, work?

Dave, who is staying in shape by bouncing up and down from his chair to his stereo to pick and choose playlists and who would pay up to $150 for a remote with a screen like the iPod itself that let him make any choices remotely that he could from the player

Dec 13, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #2 of 6
I recently received the wadia itransport and absolutely love this thing but the remote is indeed a joke...why did they even bother. As for the upgrade in the sound--better than anything I've heard from a cdp...I'm sure the Wav files, the benchmark DAC1 and the GS-1 have something to do with this also.

The remote works for me though, as I am using it in a desktop situation that allows me to use the ipod classics click wheel for using the menu button to jump to various playlists/albums/artists for HP listening but if this was in a rack the remote would be a major dissappointment although one could simply use itunes to make various playlists and do well to fit the needs.

All in all....this wadia itransport was a big answer to my problems...and I love it dearly.

Dec 13, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #3 of 6
I also absolutely love the iTransport, but I have to admit that the remote is not the most versitile thing in the world.

Don't get me wrong...it's fine for going track to track. I really wish there were a way to have click-wheel functionality via the remote.

As an aside, I gather that the Apple iRemote is no better.

Dec 13, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #4 of 6
The remote was a neccesary evil dictated by Apple. The original design did not include this. The kicker is that the cheapo thing rasied the price of the unit by $50.

So Microsoft insnt the only one with evil tendencies.
biggrin.gif

Dec 15, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #5 of 6
I would greatly prefer if they lowered the price by $50 and just published remote codes or ensured it worked with apples remote.

Currently I use Salling Clicker and my Nokia N-95 cell phone to control Airtunes (Wirelessly send Apple Lossless to Airport Express- which has an optical digital out)... I have a limitless library that way.

Without external remote support I won't likely be buying this except for my car.

Dec 17, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #6 of 6
Honestly, if it werent for the fact that I love the portability of my iPod and being able to carry my whole collection around I would be using an iBook (or whatever they call them, I'm a PC) and using the iTouch as a remote.

Actually, thats my future plan. At some point the idea is to put all the equipment in an isolated room and then control my music from the iTouch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back