Wadia iTransport & CI Audio Power Supply
Dec 6, 2008 at 5:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 70

SunWarrior

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I love the sound clarity with my new Wadia 170 iTransport, playing Apple Lossless files off an iPod Classic.

The richness of sound, both highs and lows, is clearly a step up from the original CDs played with my more-than-decent Arcam CD player (model CD93).

So, in search for more: Has anyone upgraded their iTransport with the Channel Audio (CI Audio) VDC•9.0 high current power supply?

If so, is it really an upgrade? What do you notice different in sound quality?

Any and all opinionated opinions welcomed.

Dave, who uses the CI Audio DAC with his Wadia gizmo

Dec 6, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #2 of 70
I'm also interested in hearing about this. I know that the CIA power supplies are excellent when used to drive devices with analog stages. I've always been a bit skeptical about how such devices might be of benefit when driving a digital stage.

Dec 7, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #4 of 70
How much does the VDC9 PSU sell for? My wallet just disintegrated when I thought of the 170i w/ the VDC9 and the VDA2 w/ the VAC1. All this feeding a DIY SS amp as an office or bedside rig.

Dec 8, 2008 at 10:11 AM Post #5 of 70
Me too - I am interested in what this sounds like. Though getting one of these to the UK at a reasonable price may be a bit difficult! Regards,

Peter

Dec 8, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #6 of 70
A pity that CI does not make a PSU that can supply both the Wadia and the CI DAC and Headphone amp. I mean if you buy the Wadia and a VDA2 and VHP2 you would need three (3) PSU's from CI.

Dec 9, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #7 of 70
It could easily be argued that a good power supply is MORE important for digital. This is because the clocking system is dependant on the stability of the dc voltage. The more stable the voltage the less jitter there is.

I didnt use the CI unit. I built my own fully regulated PS. But in the end, battery was better. If you dont feel like messing with the slight inconvenience of charging batteries then the CI is the best way to go and definitely worth the price.

Dec 9, 2008 at 11:53 AM Post #8 of 70
How does the CI Power Supply unit compare against the Audiocom mods here:

.: Audiocom International :. Modifications : Wadia 170 iTransport

which all seem to be power related.

Is the CI audio Power supply upgrade via a single power supply unit a better (and chepaer) solution than modding the iTransport if you don't want to mod it yourself?

Dec 9, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #9 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw241142 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does the CI Power Supply unit compare against the Audiocom mods

I havent compared the two directly so my opinion should be taken with some caution.
But it has been my experience that designing something from the ground up is usually superior, in these cases, than modifying an existing design.

What you get by using the CI is basically two stages of voltage regulation. Since what comes out of the CI is already regulated and then passes through the wadias regulators as well.

It would seem to me that, despite the superior noise rejection of the Audiocom regulators, the multiple stages you get with the CI might work better.
Besides, its cheaper AND it doesnt void any warranty with the wadia by using it.

Dec 11, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #10 of 70
I spoke with some folks over at Wadia the other day (my digital input board is in...YAY!!), and they informed me that they are working on an upgraded PS for the iTransport. That's really all the information I have right now...if I learn more I'll let y'all know.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 11, 2008 at 10:16 AM Post #11 of 70
Tom, that sounds like good news - did they indicate at all whether it was a separate unit or a retrofit to the existing iTransport as I was contemplating buying the CI Audio PS? Living in the UK I would look at waiting for the Wadia power supply if it was a separate unit as opposed to the retrofit option which would doubless involve costly freight back and forth to the US.

I have also seen on Head-Fi some talk about a specific Wadia DAC for the Itransport as well (included in the next version?), so clearly it is watch this space with Wadia!

Part of the problem for early adopters is that the product road map for totally new areas can't be nailed down by the manufacturer as it is a function of how well the new product sells. On the other hand what I would suggest to manufacturers is that they take into account those people who have bought early so that they don't feel let down when new products/enhancements are introduced.

Are there any Wadia reps who contribute to Head-Fi who can comment?

Also Tom, what is the digital input board from Wadia you refer to in your latest post?

Dec 11, 2008 at 11:39 AM Post #12 of 70
I gather the Wadia PS will be a separate, upgraded unit...that's all the information that I have right now.

I've also heard that there is a DAC with the same footprint as the iTransport in the works. We should hear more after the first of the year on that, I gather.

The digital input board is for my Wadia 830, and will allow me to use other transports (like my iTransport or a Squeezebox) with my player.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 11, 2008 at 12:10 PM Post #13 of 70
OK Tom - thanks for that. I will wait for the Wadia announcements in due course! And obviously if they want any UK testers for their new iTransport products I am happy to do that this end!!!

Dec 13, 2008 at 10:18 AM Post #15 of 70
The CI audio PS retails for USD 279 - if Wadia tried to get a large premium over this then I think that would stop it selling. Part of the attraction of the iTransport is it's price, though as ever in the UK there is a large price increase vs the US (US List = 379, UK List = £350!).

So I think Wadia will have to look at its pricing carefully. The bottom line is would you buy a Wadia based DAC or Power supply which is designed specifically for the iTransport if it was more expensive than the iTransport's list price - I don't think so?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back