Wadia 301 / 861 / Simaudio Eclipse?
Mar 4, 2004 at 9:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

yammy1688

100+ Head-Fier
Hi folks! Here's my situation: Instead of buying a high quality outboard DAC to upgrade my my rega jupiter (was eyeying the BCD2), I've decided to go with a good CD player that has digital inputs.

Am I correct to assume that the bulit-in DACs on any of these players should do rather nicely? The reason I really want a digital in is because I also do a lot of listening from my computer, so I figure why not upgrade my transport all the while.

I've seen the 301 go for about $2300, but it requires the $600 add-on to support digital in, putting it on par with the eclipse in price. I figure if I'm already here, would it be worth my while to just buy the 861 instead (the version that includes digital inputs)? If it's $1,200 better, then I'm not averse to the idea.

I'm not too interested eclipse at the moment because its digital input is BNC only, plus I've heard that these in/outputs will be used anywyas if you choose to bypass the HDCD filter, and I'm not fond of the idea of cable swapping. Also, it does not support being directly plugged into an amp, which I like. It just comes as such a highly recommended player that I included it on the list.

Really needing a digital input really narrows my choices, but if anyone has any suggestions at all, please provide feedback! Are there any other good players aside from the Wadias that have digital in & a volume control?

Thanks guys!

BTW, this will be going into a Prehead / HD600 /cardass cable, although I'm considering getting a balanced amp should I get such a source upgrade. My budget is probably around that of a used 861, although the sound should definitely justify it
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2004 at 2:26 PM Post #2 of 4
As an owner of a 301, I think its worth every penny. It has a sense of dynamic realism and portrays subtleties and emotion in the music with ease.

I can not tell you if it worth getting the 861 over the 301, but if you can afford it it's definitely something to think about.

If you have any specific questions about the 301 I would be happy to answer them for you.

Mar 4, 2004 at 8:34 PM Post #3 of 4
I just got a 301 for 2050 from an Audiogoner. The cheapest 86xx I could find was about twice that so I think I got a pretty good deal
smily_headphones1.gif
The owner, who upgraded to a 860SE, basically said it has a more 'refined' sound compared to the 301.

I did have a question though:

The add-on module that will let the 301 accept digital inputs, can it be installed by yourself? Or does the unit have to be sent in?

Mar 4, 2004 at 8:59 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally posted by yammy1688
The add-on module that will let the 301 accept digital inputs, can it be installed by yourself? Or does the unit have to be sent in?

In the US the input board installations are handled exclusively by the factory without exception. Outside the US, it's up to the distributors how they decide to handle it. In all cases, installation by the end consumer will void the warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back