Wadia 170iTransport with iPhone and full menus
Apr 16, 2009 at 6:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

paulchiu

Headphoneus Supremus
been using the Wadia iTransport for 2 weeks now.

ef8bc57c07af57ace2b1a928537f847e.jpg

unfortunately, with various iPods, the only thing you see on the iPod is the Wadia logo and you cannot change songs except for track advance or reverse using the Wadia remote.

9cdd1829f0263a8284f172e77b455255.jpg

BUT, the iPhone is treated in 'extended, non iPod supported' mode.
but, you really don't want to do all this with the iPhone docked on the Wadia 170i.
so i ordered the dock extender and a dock extension cable.

the dock extender arrived today.

fae25addec68bcb7fd188007b89617d2.jpg

full menus!

ebcef49695d112a9a2a4e6bbbe136637.jpg

when the long dock cables arrive, i'll post results.

so far, with the dock extender, i cannot detect any difference in audio performance.

paul

Apr 16, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #2 of 19
Hi Paul,

Nice pictures! Thanks for sharing these with us.

I have been using a 160g ipod classic with the iTransport and I could see the menu instead of the Wadia logo. Is it not the case with other ipods?

-Paul

Apr 16, 2009 at 6:41 AM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Paul,

Nice pictures! Thanks for sharing these with us.

I have been using a 160g ipod classic with the iTransport and I could see the menu instead of the Wadia logo. Is it not the case with other ipods?

-Paul

it's been a hit or miss with the newer iPods and iTouchs.
most only allow for advance and backtrack.

with the iPhone, i get the full interface and it is real nice to be able to search for songs and such.

paul

Apr 16, 2009 at 11:37 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcf /img/forum/go_quote.gif

-Paul

see it or use it?

Apr 16, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by smacdab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
see it or use it?

on page 16 of the wadia 170i manual, it lists the iPods with 'extended interface' where the click wheel is not operative, so you get only the wadia logo (on or not on some extension cable or extender) and iPods where you get 'digital audio out' and full menus like the iPod Classic and iPhone.

paul

Apr 17, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #7 of 19
I get full menus on my second generation touch-- I don't understand what the extension cable has to do with it, or why you'd want to use one. I just use the correct insert on the Wadia, and haven't bothered to explore any sort of extension. Why do you need one?

Apr 17, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by hypoicon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I get full menus on my second generation touch-- I don't understand what the extension cable has to do with it, or why you'd want to use one. I just use the correct insert on the Wadia, and haven't bothered to explore any sort of extension. Why do you need one?

the pin connector can bend or break.
plus a extension allows for playing with the iphone while the digital stream is active.

Apr 17, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulchiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the pin connector can bend or break.
plus a extension allows for playing with the iphone while the digital stream is active.

Oh, I see. I doubt breakage would be all that common-- sort of like saying that you might spill a drink on it. I've been taking mine on and off multiple times per day for around six months now without problems.

But playing with it-- well, that's a good reason. I don't play with mine, I just listen.

Apr 17, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by smacdab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
see it or use it?

Both.

Apr 17, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by hypoicon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, I see. I doubt breakage would be all that common-- sort of like saying that you might spill a drink on it. I've been taking mine on and off multiple times per day for around six months now without problems.

But playing with it-- well, that's a good reason. I don't play with mine, I just listen.

just got my 1m cablejive dock extender cable today and i am happy to report that with my setup, the 2 feet cable does not have any noticeable reduction in audiophile goodness!

ef8bc57c07af57ace2b1a928537f847e.jpg

now i can do banking, emails and gaming while the music plays.

paul

May 9, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #12 of 19
Cool setup Paul, I get a Wadia next week if all goes well
biggrin.gif
and I'll be using my Grace m902 as well..

Can you tell me were you bought the dock extention, (sendstation.com?), because I have my ipod in a Yotank and like to keep it there while in the Wadia..

Cheers.

May 9, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #13 of 19
No offence but this product is just so stupid. If you want media streamer why not just buy one? It's like trying to get around DAP's limitations, when a media streamer does it better in the first place.

Something like Popcorn Hour, controlled via web interface.

May 9, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #14 of 19
No offence, but if I want a media streamer I buy one.. I love my Ipod, can't help myself..
Love ain't rational
biggrin.gif

For me the Wadia is a cool product and it really doesn't sound that bad, for me anyway..

May 9, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No offence but this product is just so stupid. If you want media streamer why not just buy one? It's like trying to get around DAP's limitations, when a media streamer does it better in the first place.

Something like Popcorn Hour, controlled via web interface.

So buy a media streamer then.
Then let those who want to extend their iPod use a unit like this. We all don't have identical needs you know...
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back