Wadia 170 iTransport owners club
Jul 29, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #181 of 330
i have v 7.7, it inputs automatically all my album art from itunes's library. you need to be signed up to itunes in order for that to happen though, or you can pull covers off directly from your source.

Jul 29, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #182 of 330
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbm32 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What you need to ask yourself is if it is worth having files twice as large as the Apple Lossless files. Try both and see if you can tell the differance, and as Richter said you can always convert an Apple Lossless file to AIFF, when desired, with full AIFF quality.

I tried that. I've been playing both back and forth through my system speakers and headphones and can't tell a lick of difference between AIFF and Apple Lossless when played Ipod Classic/Wadia/Onkyo 885 preamp....

Maybe if someone who hears a difference can say what that difference is, then maybe I can listen for particular difference(s). As it is now, I'm sticking with Apple Lossless.

Jul 29, 2008 at 7:19 AM Post #183 of 330
Quote:

Originally Posted by ou8thisSN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have v 7.7, it inputs automatically all my album art from itunes's library. you need to be signed up to itunes in order for that to happen though, or you can pull covers off directly from your source.

I signed up an iTune account but it does not work. I found that I can paste album art into MP3 songs, but not the MAV files which were converted from EAC.

Jul 29, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #184 of 330
Quote:

Originally Posted by noshortcuts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried that. I've been playing both back and forth through my system speakers and headphones and can't tell a lick of difference between AIFF and Apple Lossless when played Ipod Classic/Wadia/Onkyo 885 preamp....

Maybe if someone who hears a difference can say what that difference is, then maybe I can listen for particular difference(s). As it is now, I'm sticking with Apple Lossless.

Apple Lossless sounds less clean in the bass, even somehow fat. Also an audible loss of 3D information.
(All heard with Stax Omega II / Stax SRM-T1 or Ultrasone Edition 9 and Opera headphone amplifier)

Jul 29, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #185 of 330
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richter Di /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apple Lossless sounds less clean in the bass, even somehow fat. Also an audible loss of 3D information.
(All heard with Stax Omega II / Stax SRM-T1 or Ultrasone Edition 9 and Opera headphone amplifier)

I'll give it some more listens. I hope I can't hear it. Don't want to reconvert all my files.

Jul 31, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #186 of 330
can i have on the same laptop a mix of files convert in aiff (the best ones) and the standard ones convert in apple lossles; to have an optimized size of files on my ipod? or must i have two ipod one for the best and one for the rest?
good night
fred

Jul 31, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #187 of 330
Quote:

Originally Posted by ffelden1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can i have on the same laptop a mix of files convert in aiff (the best ones) and the standard ones convert in apple lossles; to have an optimized size of files on my ipod? or must i have two ipod one for the best and one for the rest?
good night
fred

You can mix them.

Aug 3, 2008 at 5:21 AM Post #188 of 330
well a surprise awaited me today when i got home to see the itransport waiting for me. apprently music direct has them back in stock now, 2 weeks earlier than they said it would ship. I set it up and the sound quality really is amazing. im very pleased with the results. pics to follow after i finish running the wiring.

Aug 4, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #190 of 330
went down to the crawlspace, ran the wiring, here is my setup:

the ipod at listening position, with in arm's reach to switch up the music.

close up.

not that i intend on using the component video out, but I planned ahead and got a plate with the connections anyway...

rest of the setup:

this is from behind the speaker, looking toward the corner where the iTransport is, about 20 feet away via a 35 foot digital coax cable running underneath.

Aug 4, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #191 of 330
Not a very practical cable run then
smile.gif

But it does look nice and clean on it's own.

Already posted my setup in the show you setup thread, but no harm in posting it again. Bought the table it's sitting on specially for the whole setup.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Aug 5, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #192 of 330
It has to be assumed that you are using full resolution files, correct? Are your comparisons based on the IPOD DAC or the external DAC you are feeding? Does the Wadia itself have a DAC in it? I didn't think it did, I thought the goal was just to be able to pull the digital signal, avoiding the mediocre IPOD DAC? I too am interested in one of these and descriptions on how it is being run would be very helpful, along with the other key components in your system (speakers, preamp, amp, CDP, CDT/DAC, etc. . .).

Aug 6, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #193 of 330
Quote:

Originally Posted by ckoffend /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It has to be assumed that you are using full resolution files, correct?

Whom you are adressing? It it is me: Yes - full resolution files - hence AIFF files

Quote:

Are your comparisons based on the IPOD DAC or the external DAC you are feeding?

No, based on three different DACs. AQVOX, Phase and Opera

Quote:

Does the Wadia itself have a DAC in it?

No. You need an external additional DAC

Quote:

I too am interested in one of these and descriptions on how it is being run would be very helpful, along with the other key components in your system (speakers, preamp, amp, CDP, CDT/DAC, etc. . .).

No speakers: Headphones only: After havin owned various headphones (Grado RS-1, AKG K-701, Sennheiser HD 650, Audio Technic W1000 and W5000) I now stick with three main rigs:
1. Ultrasone Edition 9 with Jan Meier's Opera as headphone amplifier
2. AKG K-1000 with Jan Meier's modified prototype of the Opera as headphone amplifier
3. Stax Omega II with the Hybrid Amp (please use the navigation on the left side to get to the English content) as headphone amplifier

Aug 7, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #194 of 330
today i've ripped a coltrane's record (olé) and tonight i listen it, and it's fabulous ipod and wadia transport make high end music. i use to listen rock , new wave electro recording, but we must never forget that the only thing is the quality of the recording (ainsi que le mixage) and i am very happy to listen to a very good set ( and forget about dac, preamp, amp ) my thiel's 1.6 are also very very happy ......

Aug 19, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #195 of 330
So I bought a Denon 3800BDCI. Right now its the best Blu-Ray transport but it also has a very very good analog transport/DACs. We bought it only for blu-ray/DVD watching, but just for kicks, I decided to A/B the Denon with the wadia.

I'd have to say that i'd give the Denon an ever so slight edge for clarity and soundstage, but its very very close overall. Still loving the Wadia, but the A-B demo was fun.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back