Wadia 170 iTransport owners club
Jul 9, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #91 of 330
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have the component cables out of the Wadia hooked-up to an AV amp and thereby to the TV, can you see the album artwork on the TV?

From the Wadia FAQ
Why can’t I see the iPod menus on my television?
The Video Outputs on the 170itransport are a pass‐thru from the iPods video output. At this time, the iPod is not
capable of outputting its Graphical User Interface Menu’s.

Jul 9, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #92 of 330
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbm32 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From the Wadia FAQ
Why can’t I see the iPod menus on my television?
The Video Outputs on the 170itransport are a pass‐thru from the iPods video output. At this time, the iPod is not
capable of outputting its Graphical User Interface Menu’s.

Thanks JB...I guess I missed that.

Jul 9, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #93 of 330
Quote:

Originally Posted by Champ04 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But things do sound better over time.

I find that axiom rather troubling.

Quote:

And when he tells me that he has found that, indeed, caps will change over time I tend to believe him.

Sure, they change, along with a whole host of other things. To claim that by default burn-in makes things better and that it's the capacitors changing that is having the most affect strikes me as trivializing what is a very complicated equation. I mean, shoot, there are more caps involved than just the two in the iTransport right?

I think this forum would make great strides if the burn-in concept took a back seat for a while. Heck, people might actually find that listening to gear brings more enjoyment than letting it sit on a shelf playing white noise for 2 weeks before they should listen lest they corrupt their own opinion of their newly acquired gear before it's properly run in. Sweet jebus...

On topic - I think the iTrans is a great device and it would probably have found its way into my stack had it come out before the Squeezebox.

Jul 9, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #94 of 330
Quote:

Originally Posted by noshortcuts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting tip on scrolling albums with the Wadia remote. I'll give it a go.

On a side note, my Ipod 160g will randomly pause for about 2 seconds and then resume play. I found that MANY people have this issue. See: Apple - Support - Discussions - Classic Random Pauses and Gaps .... I find it really annoying.

There is a lot of problem with blank pause with ipod video and new generations.
it' s due to the fact than video files take a lot of memory in the ipod and fragment the hard drive.
So if you have some intermitent pauses, try to remove video files or make a defragmentation.
First solution is better, no video in ipod to enjoy music without this troubles.

Jul 9, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #95 of 330
Quote:

Originally Posted by SleepyOne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Occasionally the initial 'hand shake' between wadia and ipod can 'hang' but is easily fixed by reset ipod and unplug wadia.

I hope you are joking. That would be even more inconvenient than juggling with different CDs.

Jul 9, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #96 of 330
For me it took 1-2 weeks to burn in. Apart from the 2 capacitors, maybe something to do with either the wadia switch transformer or just my new digital cable.

Richter Di, it does happens occasionally for my 5th generation ipod video. But nothing to worry too much as long as you know about it - it is on the additional instruction sheet (go to wadia website for pdf). The only really annoyance is that older ipod user can't use the wheele but ok with new ipod classic. However, one can control song by setting list etc. I am just too lazy and run it repeat random.

Jul 9, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #97 of 330
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find that axiom rather troubling.

Huh? Why?

Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To claim that by default burn-in makes things better and that it's the capacitors changing that is having the most affect strikes me as trivializing what is a very complicated equation.

I dont think I claimed that the caps were having the most effect. Only that there were, in fact, caps in the unit and that because of this one MIGHT expect some sort of change due to burn in. Capacitors are a known dynamic. (whether one believes or hears it or not.) And sound usually gets better during the first few hundred hours of use.
For what its worth, I havent consciously noticed any change in my 170 since having it. If there was an improvement (or "change" of any sort) I missed it. Like I said, I've just been having fun listening from the first song.

On another note:
I do have a question for any engineers in the house..........

How do you suppose the clocking is worked out with this unit? Is it within the iPod or the iTransport?
There is obviously some DC regulation going on in the 170. Having stable DC is important for having a stable clock. Is this an indicator of anything?
I have a higher rez pic I can post/send if anyone is curious or interested in checking it out closer.

Jul 9, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #98 of 330
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richter Di /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope you are joking. That would be even more inconvenient than juggling with different CDs.

The hang up only occurs when first docking. Once the unit settles it doesnt hang up. So if there is a problem it would be noticed immediatly and quickly resolved. Its not like it will make you get up to redock it randomly.

Jul 9, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #99 of 330
Thanks Champ04 and SleepyOne. Let's wait and see. Germany is still a 170i desert. Hopefully next week they will be available in Germany. By the way, they will ask over 500 Dollars here for the iTransport.

Jul 9, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #101 of 330
Quote:

Originally Posted by SleepyOne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are lucky! It is US$700 in UK so you should be laughing! lol

Since the Wadia seems to be able to take any voltage from 110 to 240 V you should think about importing for your second :wink:.

Jul 10, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #102 of 330
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richter Di /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since the Wadia seems to be able to take any voltage from 110 to 240 V you should think about importing for your second :wink:.

Can any itransport owners pls confirm the supplied power adapter indicates it can accept 110 to 240V? Thnking of importing one myself too..

Thanks!!!

Jul 10, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #103 of 330
I thought I read that you can chose 110 or 240 when you order. In which case you could still import - as long as you get the choice. Ok, found this on Wadia's FAQs that seems to confirm you get one or the other:
How do I connect the 170iTransport to AC power?

"Check to make sure that the power cord shipped with your Wadia 170iTransport has been manufactured for operation at your AC line voltage. Damage caused by improper operation is not covered by Wadia warranty. If the included cable and wall termination is different from your AC outlet, contact your Wadia dealer."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back