Wadia 170 iTransport owners club
Dec 17, 2009 at 9:56 AM Post #317 of 330
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, I think not, since the experience is mixed. Maybe better to leave them off, indicating they are neither good nor poor.

BTW, I posted some really great vendors in your thread.

Thanks.

Dec 24, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #318 of 330
I plan to purchase an i170 transport. and rip my 1500+ CD library to itunes in the Wave format. My question is: in the iTunes set up Wave options it offers auto for the bit rate and a auto for the sampling rate or I can select custom settings. I want sound that will trump Apple Lossless but not add unnecessary file size. If I stick with the itunes Auto settings will I still get better sound than Apple Lossless or should select custom 16 bit sample and 48khz rates? I will not pick up an i170 for several months so I plan on getting a jump on the big job of ripping my CDs. I don’t really care how big the files get as I will copy itunes to large outboard hard drive. Any help would be appreciated.

Dec 24, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #319 of 330
"but not add unnecessary file size"..."I don’t really care how big the files get". Not sure here.

All lossless formats (and FLAC & AIFF) should be ...lossless and CD quality. I am not an expert, but Apple and FLAC use some compression, AIFF and WAV don't. Apple may be the most efficient sizewise, but will require the CPU to do more work when un-compressing. Apple is proprietary, so they could change some standard on you at some stage in the future. Don't think iPods will use FLAC.

I havn't come across anybody who believes the quality is different across any of these methods.

Dec 26, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #320 of 330
Hello Everybody,

A Newbie (poster) on head-fi But reading here for years.
I have a Little question about the Apple new Remote, does it also work on the Wadia?
Or has someone used the old Apple remote (then it would work i guess).

I find the remote supplied with the wadia..ehh "cheap"?
And the apple 2009 remote looks stunning.

I use the 170i for over a year now and I don`t use the "rega apollo" any more.

( use it with a primaluna dialogue two amp and v-dac,AKG 701,Pro-ject head box)

Greeting from Holland,

Peterr

Dec 28, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #321 of 330
There are 2 Apple remotes, one for things like Apple TV, which you could use in place of a Wadia+iPod; the other remote is the app for the iPhone/iTouch works via wifi. You could sue the second to control a laptop feeding a DAC, again instead of a Wadia+iPod. I think thats the 2 uses?

Again welcome to head-fi. Warning, you should be ok with the dynamic crowd, just be careful about those Stax guys, they get pretty spiritual about their headphones.

Dec 28, 2009 at 9:16 AM Post #322 of 330
Thank You, Alcyst

The First remote, was the one I was looking for, Because I find the new Apple 2009 remote much more beautiful than the Wadia.
I use a Logitech harmony for it now, but ist not so handy to use for just "next track".

About Stax, I`ve had one for 5 years but didn`t like the "own" sound they all have.

grtz peterr

got a repply from wadia...fast
icon10.gif

Thank you for your support of Wadia with 170iTransport.

The Apple remote does not work with the 170i. We were going to use the Apple remote, but we thought it may cause remote confusion with the Apple TV box.

Please feel free to contact Wadia if you have any other questions or comments.

Thank you,

(name of employee)

Customer and Dealer Support

Dec 28, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #324 of 330
If you mean for stuf I use?

Next to the Labtop is my I-pod with a Nuforce icon Mobile driving the AKG 701
The set has the same I-pod classic 160g the Wadia transport feeding a v-dac.
A Project mk2 headphone amp. everything in Apple lossless

Iam waiting for the Nuforce hdp, (amp&dac).
smily_headphones1.gif

The headphone`s are Stax sr5 Gold edition,Grado sr 60,I-grado,And the akg
The amps are The project mk2,Litlle dot (older type 2),Primaluna dialogue two
Thespeakers Sonus Faber Concertino`d domus ,rel t2

Music? From Placebo to Clannad to yello to swamprock to jazz...everything but classic

Kind regards
Peterr

Dec 30, 2009 at 1:47 PM Post #325 of 330
Quote:

Originally Posted by peter53 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find the remote supplied with the wadia..ehh "cheap"?

Wadia will ship with the new 151PowerDAC a metal remote. And this new remote will be available separately and will control the 170i also. IMHO it looks (much) better than the current remote for the 170i.

...but not so stylish as the Apple remote.
wink.gif

Jan 11, 2010 at 7:23 AM Post #327 of 330
Quote:

Originally Posted by alcyst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pThey have some details on their website, no price though. It plays iPhones , and seems bigger, other than that I have no idea.

I saw it at CES and it's exactly the same size. Rep told me that it'll cost about $500.00 give or take.

Jan 12, 2010 at 7:34 AM Post #328 of 330
Quote:

Originally Posted by vo_obgyn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wadia said that they were sending me a replacement power supply for my 170i and they were very good about doing that.

I will give the Head-Fi Forum followers a follow-up after I receive the power supply and share my experience with those who are interested.
regular_smile .gif

Wadia did come through for me customer service-wise. Brent there in customer service said that he would sent me a replacement power supply and it arrived today. It took a while to get here from such a long way but it made it just fine. My customer support experience with Wadia has been good.

Nov 29, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #330 of 330

Quote:
guys, do you think this is best with my ipod and audioengines?
how about adding DAC - maverick audio d1?

You could go right from your iPod to your AudioEngines with an adapter and not need the i170 at all.

I think the deal with the i170 is that you get a bit-perfect digital stream that you can feed to a DAC making your iPod a high end media server.

If you went from the DAC you were asking about to your AE's, I think that could work.  I have never driven my AE's directly from a DAC, but there is a volume control on the back and you might get enough volume out of your speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back