WA7 Overheating
Feb 13, 2013 at 11:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

alwaysec

Head-Fier
I received the replacement tubes from A2A today, so came home just after lunch time. 

Now, the new tubes have been installed and the amp turned on. 

the setup is :

Dell Precision Mobile workstation + USB cable + WA7 + HD650. 

Local time:
3:10PM

Room temp: 20-25C (anyway, not hot, very comfortable today/this week)

Amp and PSU temp: Cold. 

I will report back one hour later.

Background story:

I received this amp a couple of weeks ago. The amp works well, but I soon noticed the amp and psu became very hot after running for 30 mins. 

It is reckoned that the tubes might be faulty. So Woo Audio arranged A2A to send me a set of new ones. 

Feb 14, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #4 of 32
it is 4:19pm now. 

the amp is warm. so is the psu. neither is burning hot. holding either in hands for extended period of time is not a problem. 

the glass is much warmer. i certainly do not touch the tubes.  

oh, no........

Feb 14, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #7 of 32
I dont own a wa7 but a wa6se and they do run warmish normally. They are a tube amplifier so they are expected to run warmish... But then i dk about the wa7.

Feb 14, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #8 of 32
So the new tubes do run cooler than the originals?

Feb 14, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #9 of 32
Well it is a tube amp.  So its going to run hotter than anything solid state.  Any time youre stepping up or down voltage, heat (to some degree) is the bi-product.  Glass is a thermal insulator, as compared to metals in general.  So the top surface of the chassis is not going to be able to emissively radiate any heat, with the glass cube on it.  It might not be an issue however, if the primary heat conductive surfaces by design are around the sides and back.

You're doing the right thing by monitoring it. Keep the power supply out in the open, and let it get fresh air.  It looks like the designer at some point had concerns with heat build up in the power supply box, hence the additional vent/holes.  A manufacturer is not going to risk the consumer getting debris inside the P/S unit, or go through the additional manufacturing process steps to drill holes into a hammond enclosure, unless there's a legit reason to do so that out-weighs the negatives.  Keep on the "lookout" for strange smells, and I wouldn't hesitate to put a small cooling fan near the P/S unit if it gets too hot to touch.

Side note... I just modded my darkvoice 337 with a pair of cooling fans underneath... sucker gets really hot.  Despite the annoying fan noise, I am much more comfortable now with everything running cooler.

Good luck though and keep us posted on your progress.

Feb 14, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #10 of 32
Quote:
So the new tubes do run cooler than the originals?

it did seem the metal case was less warm and touchable yesterday, but i am not sure if it is just because yesterday was a cooler day than last weekend. i will try both sets of tubes this weekend.

Quote:
Well it is a tube amp.  So its going to run hotter than anything solid state.  Any time youre stepping up or down voltage, heat (to some degree) is the bi-product.  Glass is a thermal insulator, as compared to metals in general.  So the top surface of the chassis is not going to be able to emissively radiate any heat, with the glass cube on it.  It might not be an issue however, if the primary heat conductive surfaces by design are around the sides and back.

You're doing the right thing by monitoring it. Keep the power supply out in the open, and let it get fresh air.  It looks like the designer at some point had concerns with heat build up in the power supply box, hence the additional vent/holes.  A manufacturer is not going to risk the consumer getting debris inside the P/S unit, or go through the additional manufacturing process steps to drill holes into a hammond enclosure, unless there's a legit reason to do so that out-weighs the negatives.  Keep on the "lookout" for strange smells, and I wouldn't hesitate to put a small cooling fan near the P/S unit if it gets too hot to touch.

Side note... I just modded my darkvoice 337 with a pair of cooling fans underneath... sucker gets really hot.  Despite the annoying fan noise, I am much more comfortable now with everything running cooler.

Good luck though and keep us posted on your progress.

i am fully aware that a tub amp is supposed to be warm. however quite a few people reported their units (wa7) were quite cool/a little warm when running, both the amp and the psu. i am going to order an infrared thermometer or a cheap alternative, but wont be able to receive it before this weekend.  

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #11 of 32
Quote:
it is 4:19pm now. 

the amp is warm. so is the psu. neither is burning hot. holding either in hands for extended period of time is not a problem.

the glass is much warmer. i certainly do not touch the tubes.  

oh, no........

I missed this comment.
I think your amp is fine...  run it and enjoy.   I would still make sure the power supply is in the open enough to get fresh air though. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back