WA6SE - Parts upgrade worth it?
May 15, 2009 at 6:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Covenant

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok, I've decided on a WA6SE as my new desktop amp. Now to decide if the premium parts is worth an extra $450.

From what I've seen of the internals of the stock amp, it uses good parts already (nichicon caps, dale vishay resistors, etc). How much improvement can I realistically expect by blackgating/mills resistoring it out?

Either way, I'll be investing in the Sophia and teflon sockets upgrades, and skipping the attenuator. If anyone has had a chance to compare stock WA6SE to the maxed version I'd much appreciate your input.

May 15, 2009 at 7:11 AM Post #2 of 7
That is some amplifier, absolutely beautiful....Not sure that the upgrade strategy works for me though. When paying circa $1000 you should not be second guessing whether you have the best there is to offer. Just my 2 cents.

Wish I had the cash at the moment to get one myself. How much is the carriage to Aus?

Enjoy which ever you choose.

May 15, 2009 at 9:25 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudHarris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When paying circa $1000 you should not be second guessing whether you have the best there is to offer. Just my 2 cents.

"Best there is to offer" involves alot more than $1K. The TTVJ 307A, modified WA5-LE, and so forth come to mind.

I've asked Jack his oppinion on the upgrades - keeping in mind he's the manufacturer, and thus slightly biased - and his response was:

"The upgrade parts improve resolution, details, and speed. I cannot quantify the improvement in percentage, but the Blackgate cap is one of the best available parts for audio. It is expensive but worthwhile."

I've noticed some people remark that their maxxed WA6's have an edge over the stock WA6SE in terms of tonality and resolution, while the stock WA6SE has an edge in terms of bass depth, impact, and dynamics. Which IMO supports Jack's claim.

May 15, 2009 at 12:10 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, I've decided on a WA6SE as my new desktop amp. Now to decide if the premium parts is worth an extra $450.

From what I've seen of the internals of the stock amp, it uses good parts already (nichicon caps, dale vishay resistors, etc). How much improvement can I realistically expect by blackgating/mills resistoring it out?

Either way, I'll be investing in the Sophia and teflon sockets upgrades, and skipping the attenuator. If anyone has had a chance to compare stock WA6SE to the maxed version I'd much appreciate your input.

Wait...! My Maxxed WA6SE is due to be shipped to be next Monday and I should be able to verify..

May 16, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by OutdoorXplorer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait...! My Maxxed WA6SE is due to be shipped to be next Monday and I should be able to verify..

Patience is unfortunately not one of my virtues
tongue.gif
I figure, if I dont get the parts upgrade, I'll always wonder what I'd be missing.

Just sent Jack the email:

"I would like to order a WA6SE please, in the following configuration:
*Silver colour
*Premium parts upgrade
*Teflon tube sockets
*Sophia Princess rectifier tube replacement
*Drive/Power tube replacement"

My wallet hates me
biggrin.gif

May 16, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #6 of 7
This place is very unhealthy for our wallets.
wink.gif

Has anyone received a woo amp with the teflon sockets? I wonder how it compares to the stock ceramic variety...

May 16, 2009 at 7:56 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Patience is unfortunately not one of my virtues
tongue.gif
I figure, if I dont get the parts upgrade, I'll always wonder what I'd be missing.

Just sent Jack the email:

"I would like to order a WA6SE please, in the following configuration:
*Silver colour
*Premium parts upgrade
*Teflon tube sockets
*Sophia Princess rectifier tube replacement
*Drive/Power tube replacement"

My wallet hates me
biggrin.gif

My wallet is now with a BIG hoe in it. The WA6SEM is everything of the above plus a Gold Point attenuator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back