WA4: tube roll suggestion
Jan 12, 2009 at 2:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dr__red

New Head-Fier
I finally got my maxed up WA4. Firstly arrived damaged in transit, was sent back for repair. High postage and taxes (UK<->US) but now the aggravation is left behind... I'm using it with K701, CIAudio VDA-2/VAC-1 as a source fed from MHZS-88e CD transport. I'm into classic and jazz.

I'm interested in tube roll to improve on Russian stock:

- Power 6C19 (or 6S19)
- Rectifier Ez80
- Drive 12au7/ECC82

For what it worth I saw a pair of Black Saber Mullards drivers sold for $600... I would appreciate on any "shortlisted" suggestions maybe with comments on "sound signature". Can't seems to find 6C19 anywhere.

Thanks,
Dr Red

Jan 12, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #2 of 7
How badly damaged was it? Was it due to poor packaging? I hope everything works out for you.

Jan 12, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by atbglenn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How badly damaged was it? Was it due to poor packaging? I hope everything works out for you.

When the amp firstly arrived to my door the currier was sincerely complaining to me why the package is so heavy… An obvious answer would be "just because I paid for it to be heavy you stupid arsehole"...
very_evil_smiley.gif
Btw UK's Parcel Force is the organization that consistently hires mentally retired malicious imbeciles. Once they almost lost my laptop; another time they sent parcel back to the sender claiming they attempted delivery 3 times when in fact I was home and nobody even touched the bell. Sometimes they just don't bother delivering. Low paid jobs I suppose in the age when "professional pride" is something of a dead language phenomenon.

The amp was obviously dropped. Left channel was dead. When I opened it I found two resistors legs below black gate caps came lose. I soldered them back in place but it didn't help. Couldn't find anything else wrong so sent it back to Jack Woo who repaired it.

Jan 12, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #4 of 7
Wow that sucks big time. Hopefully it made a safe return trip and all is well now. I hate hearing stories like that. You pay big bucks and you get screwed because some ******* doesn't take his job seriously and you're the one who has to pay. I feel for you.

Jan 12, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #5 of 7
give it one month constant burn in at first - then decide - but tubes that I've got ( see sig. ) should be ok

Jan 13, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by piotr z /img/forum/go_quote.gif
give it one month constant burn in at first - then decide - but tubes that I've got ( see sig. ) should be ok

I also love the Mullards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back