WA22 or WA5LE.... well there is a little more to it...
Dec 15, 2009 at 7:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

MikeLa

100+ Head-Fier
Decision time:
Option 1: WA22 + (Trade-up) Accustic Arts DAC Mk4 (balanced) + Balanced Qualia 010
Option 2: WA5LE Maxed + (Current) Accustic Arts DAC Mk3 (single ended) + Single ended Qualia 010

I have an opportunity to trade-up an Accustic Arts DAC MK3 which is single ended, to a fully balanced Accustic Arts DAC MK4. The WA22 plus the Trade-up is the same as a maxed WA5Le, so the cost for option 1 and option 2 are the same.

Jack has told me the WA5LE outperforms the WA22, but I'm not sure if Option 2 would outperform Option 1. I know Jack has a 20 day return policy but the DAC trade-up is a onetime event.

Has anyone compared a fully balanced WA22 setup to a WA5LE setup?

Dec 15, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #2 of 19
Most impressions are based on mini-meet or the large gatherings like camjam and such with not much/extended time to audition or examine one another.

With that said, I read some reputable people saying that they prefer the WA22 over W5LE (not sure if it's maxed or not), and vice versa. I really think it's a personal taste at this point.

However, since you are going Balanced route with option 1, you are also getting some sonic upgrades from SE -> Balanced. And as you said, the dac trade up is one time event, so that kinda make it lean toward option 1, imo.

Finally, you can't return the Woo amp if it's customized. You can ask Jack to make sure, but afaik, all the return is for the stock amps with no custom work. If you get WA5 LE (maxed), then would be treated as custom. Again, make sure with Jack.

Regards

Dec 16, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #4 of 19
Wish i can comment

Dec 16, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeLa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tosehee, thank you for the input. I take it you are happy with your WA22 / HD800 setup?

I am not very happy with WA22 + SE HD800. Everything is great, but lost music density and impact with SE HD800. I know balabced HD800 will be better than SE, but the root does not change from my guess.

Dec 16, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #6 of 19
I will have to report back when I actually get mine on 2nd week of Jan (according to plan). Mine is balanced, so I can probably report back with more detail. Also, I hesitate to say, but mini-meet is not such a good place to formulate the impression of any headphone. I think a good 1+ month of usage is required to find whether you actually like the phone or not. But then, that's just my opinion.

Dec 16, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not very happy with WA22 + SE HD800. Everything is great, but lost music density and impact with SE HD800. I know balabced HD800 will be better than SE, but the root does not change from my guess.

what amp do you like to pair with hd800 seamaster ?

Dec 16, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #8 of 19
Wow your going to make me wait a month
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 16, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeLa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Decision time:
Option 1: WA22 + (Trade-up) Accustic Arts DAC Mk4 (balanced) + Balanced Qualia 010
Option 2: WA5LE Maxed + (Current) Accustic Arts DAC Mk3 (single ended) + Single ended Qualia 010

I have an opportunity to trade-up an Accustic Arts DAC MK3 which is single ended, to a fully balanced Accustic Arts DAC MK4. The WA22 plus the Trade-up is the same as a maxed WA5Le, so the cost for option 1 and option 2 are the same.

Jack has told me the WA5LE outperforms the WA22, but I'm not sure if Option 2 would outperform Option 1. I know Jack has a 20 day return policy but the DAC trade-up is a onetime event.

Has anyone compared a fully balanced WA22 setup to a WA5LE setup?

While the Qualia does benefit from balanced operation in my experience, IMO the improvement isn't enough to validate balancing the rest of the system if it's not already. The Qualia is amazing as-is and you don't need to run it balanced to enjoy it more than you already do. (On the other hand, if your system is balanced to begin with, then I don't see a reason to not get a balanced cable.)
wink.gif

I'm assuming you really like how the Qualia sounds - and if you want to enhance what it already brings to the table, then I'd personally recommend the WA5 LE over the WA22. Not that the WA22 is bad (far from it) but from my limited experience between the two amps at meets, the WA5 LE has a very clean sound (almost solid-statey but not quite) while the WA22 adds a noticeable chunk to the mid-bass and mid-range (at least with the 7236 power tubes). Or in other words, I think the WA5 LE is less of a "tone control" (compared to the WA22) and more of a refiner/enhancer, and I also thought it paired very well with the Qualia.

Dec 16, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by winzzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what amp do you like to pair with hd800 seamaster ?

I would say something is a mixture of phonitor and WA22. I like phonitor better than my WA22 for rock music that is for sure or anything has bass. But I am a tube guy, and is not willing to give up the tube sound. I will roll the caps on my WA22 to make it " better". WA22 for now is too polite for my tast. But at same time WA22 has more depth with music VS. phonitor sound very good with HD800 but skin deep.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mini-meet is not such a good place to formulate the impression of any headphone. I think a good 1+ month of usage is required to find whether you actually like the phone or not. But then, that's just my opinion.

I agree with you to a point. But no matter how long you own the system. The tone signature is not going to change if the system stay the same. The tone is the 1st thing to notice, it was very different and obvious.

I used Meridian G08 , and same cable for both amps.

Dec 16, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While the Qualia does benefit from balanced operation in my experience, IMO the improvement isn't enough to validate balancing the rest of the system if it's not already. The Qualia is amazing as-is and you don't need to run it balanced to enjoy it more than you already do. (On the other hand, if your system is balanced to begin with, then I don't see a reason to not get a balanced cable.)
wink.gif

I'm assuming you really like how the Qualia sounds - and if you want to enhance what it already brings to the table, then I'd personally recommend the WA5 LE over the WA22. Not that the WA22 is bad (far from it) but from my limited experience between the two amps at meets, the WA5 LE has a very clean sound (almost solid-statey but not quite) while the WA22 adds a noticeable chunk to the mid-bass and mid-range (at least with the 7236 power tubes). Or in other words, I think the WA5 LE is less of a "tone control" (compared to the WA22) and more of a refiner/enhancer, and I also thought it paired very well with the Qualia.

If you talk about stock WA22. A tubed-up WA22 is a different animal.

Dec 16, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #12 of 19
I went to my first meet this last month just to demo as many headphones as possible with the basically stock W5 le that I own. I would have loved to hear more Woo products there but there were none as it was a small meet. I have not tried any other Woo products other than the stock W3 which was my first headphone amp. I have used older stuff like Scott 222Cs for headphones before.

The love I have for the 5le is consistant. In a world of thin sounding tube amps the 5 performs, the upgrades must take it even to a new level. It really is musical taste as the 300b sound signature is unique. Not that they add color but have a way they present headspace which is unique. This could almost be an X factor as it is really hard to put your finger on. It is the place between the sound and the shape of the sound inself.

The Woo 5 LE gets all the transits done with ease. What people say is it is solid state clear with this tube X factor. There is very little classic tube overdrive fuzz. Just pure music.

Before you buy try to hear both. My system did not get close to what I wanted till I added the AH-D Denons into the loop. I thought the W5Le lacked bass until I found the right headphones to maximize and overcome the aspects of the system sound signatures.

My last adds will be a Blackbird cartridge and cables and powerconditionig. These things I look at as the final adds.

Dec 19, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #14 of 19
Well I pulled the trigger on the DAC, but not the Accustic Arts MK4. Instead I purchased a second hand Esoteric D-05. When it arrives I'll try using the SPL Auditor to see if the XLR vs RCA is as significantly different as the 6moon review implies. I love the Qualia detail and from everyone's input, it sounds like the WA5LE is the one, but it's single ended. Unfortunately I don't know where I can audition both amps. Any meets coming up in the west ?

Dec 19, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #15 of 19
Pm me and you can demo my rig. You will then just need to find the other unit to try. It will not be side by side. You will have to use memory. Remember mine is stock with 600 hours burn in. Bring all the junk to try that you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back