W5000+Tube amp Vs. Stax 3050A?
Sep 12, 2008 at 3:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

DNT

100+ Head-Fier
Hello fellow head-fiers,
I really need some inputs from you guys now. I recently got myself a pair of W5000, which was supposed to be an "upgrade" from my previous HD650. But at the moment, I am ampless because I sold my entire previous rig. I've been reading great reviews about Stax so I wanted to try a system, preferably the 3050A system. But in order to do so I would have to sell my W5000, which I like a lot, because I'm a starving highschool student.
frown.gif
If I don't acquire the Stax system then I will have some money to buy myself a nice tube amp to match the W5000 (I'm thinking of Darkvoice 337 or similar). So what do you think, please give me some opinions on this since I never owned a Stax system before and am very curious about it. But if the W5000 and a nice tube amp could sound better than Stax then I'd be happy to keep it. What should I do now?
confused_face(1).gif

Thank you so much,
Best regards.

Sep 12, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #2 of 13
Thats a tough question.
The W5000 is a much wanted item, if you realy like it but sell it now and want to get it again in a few years, then it might be a hard task to get hold of it again.
IMHO the effect of a good amp is often much overrated here. Yes, it will give you a better performance, but it's more like gaining 2% extra and not a night and day difference like some people claim. So maybe getting a Stax SRS 2050-II for try out instead of a tube amp might be a good idea. If the Stax leaves you unimpressed then you still could sell it with a very little loss. If the Stax goddess seduces you and leads you to the light of electrostatic goodness and you can't stand that muddy dynamic sound anymore, then sell off Stax SRS 2050-II and W5000 and go SRS 3050-II or SRS 4040-II.
I can't predict what way you will decide, as it depends on your musical taste and your preferences, but with having both at hand you can compare them to the bone (keeping in mind that the SRS 3050 will be a bit better than the SRS 2050, and that the W5000 with a good amp will also a bit better) and make the choice which fits you most.

Sep 12, 2008 at 8:08 AM Post #3 of 13
You have an excellent headphone now and it sounds like you haven't yet heard them at close to their full potential. I would stick with the W5000s, get the amp, and then buy some Stax later when you have the money. Then you could compare them both and sell the system you don't like. Or you'll probably find things you like about both systems and keep both of them.

There shouldn't be any feeling to rush out and buy a system though.

Sep 12, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by DNT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello fellow head-fiers,
I really need some inputs from you guys now. I recently got myself a pair of W5000, which was supposed to be an "upgrade" from my previous HD650. But at the moment, I am ampless because I sold my entire previous rig. I've been reading great reviews about Stax so I wanted to try a system, preferably the 3050A system. But in order to do so I would have to sell my W5000, which I like a lot, because I'm a starving highschool student.
frown.gif
If I don't acquire the Stax system then I will have some money to buy myself a nice tube amp to match the W5000 (I'm thinking of Darkvoice 337 or similar). So what do you think, please give me some opinions on this since I never owned a Stax system before and am very curious about it. But if the W5000 and a nice tube amp could sound better than Stax then I'd be happy to keep it. What should I do now?
confused_face(1).gif

Thank you so much,
Best regards.

That's been my question too - "to Stax, or not to Stax."

I think after all my research... I've concluded that, unless I'm willing to go "whole Stax" (i.e. the Omega 007 MK (I or II) with complimentary amp) - that I may not be sufficiently persuaded thay are better than my dynamic phones with my set up.

I've got to have good bass (tight, well defined, with impact), and highs that are not strident, harsh, or hot, and mids that are warm and weighty, and not lean.

From my research, it sounds like those qualities are not too likely all present with the lesser Stax set ups.

It does sound like they may be with the 4070, and possibly the Koss ESP/950 with a matching Stax amp (but the latter might require a cable upgrade).

The net result is pretty much as you've been advised below.

You either "put a toe in the water" with a low cost "sample" (a used set up), or the basic set up, which you can sell without great loss, if you don't like the sound, or to upgrade... or... you wait and go directly to the top (preferrably a used set up). I think, I'm sufficiently persuaded the "top of the line Stax set up" has enough of the qualities of a good dynamic set up to be happy with it - and that it would likely improve upon a good dynamic set up.

Whatever... I'll likely wait until I can "go directly to the top of the Stax line."

But... who knows.

Sep 12, 2008 at 2:33 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's been my question too - "to Stax, or not to Stax."

I sold a ALO modified HFI-780 with Jena cables and a Yamamoto HA-02 amp along with some other items which I really enjoyed to help finance a KGSS and SR-007MkII. So I have gone to having both a Yamamoto HA-02 into a Ultrasone Edition 9 and the Stax setup. Both are very good. Each has it's fine qualities. To me the Stax setup is reference and the UE9 setup provides an emotional intimacy with the music that probably comes from the coloring that comes out of the UE9 headphone. One is open (Stax) the other is closed. I like having both setups.

I also have a secondary Stax setup consisting of the SR-404 and a SRM-T1S. This also is very good but it does not come up to the performance level of the other two for me. This setup is very price competitive with many other dynamic setups that are used around here and would do for many as their primary listening setup and be completely satisfied with not going any further into this hobby.

The W5000 I owned while having it's matching amp the AT-HA5000. I sold the HA5000 after getting my first Yamamoto HA-02 and comparing them. My secondary Stax setup is very compatible in enjoyment with the HA5000 and W5000 which did not match the pleasure to got from the UE9 and Yamamoto HA-02.

I can't say that all these comparisons were direct but over time and after selling some of the noted items.

Sep 12, 2008 at 3:24 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I sold a ALO modified HFI-780 with Jena cables and a Yamamoto HA-02 amp along with some other items which I really enjoyed to help finance a KGSS and SR-007MkII. So I have gone to having both a Yamamoto HA-02 into a Ultrasone Edition 9 and the Stax setup. Both are very good. Each has it's fine qualities. To me the Stax setup is reference and the UE9 setup provides an emotional intimacy with the music that probably comes from the coloring that comes out of the UE9 headphone. One is open (Stax) the other is closed. I like having both setups.

I also have a secondary Stax setup consisting of the SR-404 and a SRM-T1S. This also is very good but it does not come up to the performance level of the other two for me. This setup is very price competitive with many other dynamic setups that are used around here and would do for many as their primary listening setup and be completely satisfied with not going any further into this hobby.

The W5000 I owned while having it's matching amp the AT-HA5000. I sold the HA5000 after getting my first Yamamoto HA-02 and comparing them. My secondary Stax setup is very compatible in enjoyment with the HA5000 and W5000 which did not match the pleasure to got from the UE9 and Yamamoto HA-02.

I can't say that all these comparisons were direct but over time and after selling some of the noted items.

Pretty much what I would have expected - pretty consistent with my research.

Sep 12, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #7 of 13
Tough questions.
I have never heard the W5000. But still I recommend you to go the Stax route.

I have heard lots of dynamic headphones, an imo none (perhaps except for the K1000) come close to a the SR-303.

Sep 12, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #8 of 13
Thank you so much for all your time and advices. These information are very valuable to me. I will probably take the Stax route starting off with a low system so I can also keep my W5000. Maybe I could save up some money and acquire an amp for my W5000.
By the way, have anybody tried the LunchboxII with W5000? If a purchase something so expensive (to me) as a Stax system then I will not have much left behind for something like the DV337.

Sep 12, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #9 of 13
If you are swaying towards an electrostatic rig, I would sell the W5000 and buy a nice amp.

On the other hand, if you want to keep both: I have not used the lunchbox with the W5000, but have tried other low-power OTL tube amps with them. If you are into tubes (I am) it is totally worth a shot.

Sep 12, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #10 of 13
Thanks nikongod, that's exactly what I thought in the first place. But I never even heard an electrostatic before so I really don't know if the sound would satisfy my taste. In addition to that the W5000 is way to beautiful to part.
frown.gif

I really like the tube sound to, so sort of leaning toward the LunchboxII when I have sufficient fund, maybe a Darkvoice if I can wait until my next birthday. ^^

Sep 12, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #11 of 13
The Stax is going to have a sound that you will enjoy a lot with you enjoying the W5000, at least that is what I would think.

Sep 13, 2008 at 7:11 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by DNT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope Stax would be a nice change for me.
By the way, what is the difference between the driver units SRM-323A and SRM-323II? Thanks guys.

I am sure it will!
o2smile.gif

The difference between the SRM-323A and SRM-323II is their input voltage, as their are meant for separate markets.
* SRM-323A -> Sold in Japan only. Accept 100v input.
* SRM-323II -> The export model. Accept the local voltage in the country its sold. Be it 110v, 220v, ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back