W5000 Fit?
Dec 16, 2007 at 2:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

Shiki

100+ Head-Fier
I recently got a pair of ATH-W5000 headphones.

When I move my around, it falls off and I have to re-adjust it. My head is a bit small...
frown.gif

Also, when I press the cups against my head, the sound is much fuller and bassier - is this an indication that it's not fitting properly?

Does anyone have any tips on how to improve the fit? Thanks!

Dec 16, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #2 of 48
can you bend the headband on those? i used to have a pair of w1k and i could do that to adjust them on my head

Dec 16, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #3 of 48
You mean the two metal strips that bridge the cups? They won't snap, will they?

I guess what I should do is bend them so that they're more of an 'oval' shape, making it tighter?

Dec 16, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #5 of 48
Yeah the W5000 was an odd fit for me too. The pads didn't seem to fully surround the ears, more like a bigger Grado bowl type fit as I recall. I didn't find it overly comfy though I did enjoy the sound. They appeared to taper in towards the driver opening from the outside of he pads. Very odd and yes I also had to push them in for a complete seal.

Dec 16, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #6 of 48
Bend headband at the very top, it should become more of an oval shape, so ear pads seal around ears more even not just at the bottom.
Stock form: \
confused.gif
/

After mod: |
biggrin.gif
|

Dec 16, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #8 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The metal is incredibly hard... How do you guys bend it? Should I use pliers?

Just hands, keep trying, it springy but gives little by little, and you don't need much of a bend anyway.

Dec 16, 2007 at 5:03 AM Post #10 of 48
The pads are the same all the way around and rotating them makes no difference, only the pleather retaining strip varies in size to accomodate the wider plastic at the back.

Dec 16, 2007 at 8:38 AM Post #11 of 48
This is what I have now:

Screenshot

It doesn't really look much different and still feels loose though.

Should I try bending it more? It doesn't seem to want to bend any more.

The distance between where the metal bands touch the cups is about 6.8''.

Dec 16, 2007 at 9:01 AM Post #12 of 48
Instead of just bending the middle, try to bend the bands into an upside down 'U' shape. What that means is to divide the pair of metal bands into 3 sections, 2nd section being the middle section. I have mine straighten out for 1st and 3rd sections, and concentrate the bending where 1st section and 2nd section meets, and the same with where 2nd and 3rd section meets. This way the distance between the cups becomes closer and more in a upside 'U' shape.

To reduce the distance (i.e. create more of an acute curve) between the cups, I actually has to bend the bands such that the cups literally overlaps and past beyond each other!

Dec 16, 2007 at 10:31 AM Post #13 of 48
Mine look totally deformed;

W5000_Mod5.jpg

If you want yours to look just as mangled but give a better sound (by the looks of it crypt@ has done similar), although you will probably do a better job than me;

Bend the band at the top so they make an oval shape;
W5000_Mod6.jpg

And they should look like this;
W5000_Mod3.jpg

Then bend the cups outward shown here;
W5000_Mod7.jpg

If you do this you will also own a pair of expensive cans which look like they've been run over by a truck.

Dec 16, 2007 at 10:49 AM Post #15 of 48
I was so cautious of damaging these cans when I received them but a lot has happened to me this year, which could get worse next year - Much Worse.

I rapidly came to the conclusion that I will never sell these cans, it's all about the music and to start really enjoying them.

So I just started to grip them and bend them to the best position for me.

No doubt I could have grabbed the heat gun and tried to do a better job but I couldn't be bothered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back