W30 vs W40 - Help Please
Dec 24, 2014 at 7:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

mgmlari

New Head-Fier
Guys,
I wanna buy a good IEM for < $400 and have researched on Shure SE535, Westone W30 and W40, Senn IE80. 

I narrowed down my choices between W40 and W30. I only listen to MP3 songs from either my PC or iPod/iPhone. I am not an audiophile and not into FLAC and Hi-Def Audio formats. But, I would like to hear my MP3 songs the best I can with a reasonable budget.

As far the headphones I own, I have a ATH-M50X and used to own UE Super.Fi 5 and UE Triple.Fi 10. At home I have a Onkyo TX-NR609 receiver and PSB Speakers (Image 4T series). Thats about my audio system/headphone exposure so far.

I mistakenly bought a Shure SE846 and sold it for a loss of $150. Because, for my MP3 needs, its an absolute waste I guess. Not to say anything bad about SE846, because they are an engineering marvel with low-pass filter and stuff. Its just an overkill for my needs.

I was leaning towards W30, but for a $100 difference I can get a W40 and I don't wanna regret later. So, please help me out with picking either Westone W30 or W40 (or) any other suggestion given my needs. Thanks much!!!

Jan 11, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #3 of 3
Hi. Just spotted your thread. I also picked up the W30 a few days ago. I'm finding a good fit and the right tips for your ears to be crucial. Also iPhone 5 with the app CanOpener with a dash more treble / less bass plus some crossfade has brought these into line for me. The musicality and detail is quite amazing...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back