W30 upgrade
Jan 10, 2019 at 1:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

mrhanky5555

Head-Fier
Been using my Westone W30’s for about 2 years now on my iPhones. This last year with a set of ALO cables with a built in lighting adapter. I love these in ears. They get used everyday. But its about that time. I want to upgrade to the next level. I’d like to stay within the same sound signitures but better. I’m satisfied with the bass on the W30’s but like to have it a bit cleaner and more sub bass if possible. Would like to stay in the $500 range but would go up if needed.
Side note, might be picking up a FiiO q5.

Jan 10, 2019 at 4:42 AM Post #2 of 10
Not sure if you'd want to swing it but Westone has a sale on their in stock W-series. W60 is $700 VS $1000 right now.

You could also look into their new UM Pro 30 or 50. Although they are not on sale. I haven't heard any of these so I can't personally recommend what would be better. I only have a 2nd gen UM Pro 10, which is the most comfortable IEM I've tried and almost the smallest. The only thing smaller was the ER4XR, but not as comfortable.

If shape/comfort isn't an issue for you there are lots of options out there that may meet what you want...

Jan 10, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #3 of 10
Thinking about trying the Fiio FH5 since they’re well priced. But Westone is still an option. From what I’ve researched though, the rest of the W line doesn’t have that W30 signature.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #4 of 10
Might want to give @twister6 a shout as he seems to be the forum expert on westone. Perhaps it might be worth saving a little more and go for a real upgrade as opposed to a sideways one?

Jan 10, 2019 at 7:51 PM Post #6 of 10
Not a matter saving more. Just not wanting to go too much past that $500 mark for now. Unless conviced otherwise.

Well W60 or W80 would be an upgrade imho, but it's outside of your price range. I think you should give UM Pro 50 v2 a shot. Now, regarding extra money saving, not sure if it's still valid but earphonesolutions used to have additional 20-30% seasonal coupons. I know w-series is discounted now so they probably won't accept any coupons, but I would email earphonesolutions directly and ask for the best pricing on Pro50v2 (unless if you are outside of US, cause they are located in Florida). Also, if you are near West Coast, CanJam NYC will be next month with Westone attending it where you can hear and compare all their iems.

Jan 11, 2019 at 7:09 AM Post #8 of 10
I’m actually in Long Island near the city. I’ll def check Westone out. I wonder why the W series is discontinued.

It's not discontinued, just being discounted which sometimes happen before the refresh (the same happened with UM Pro v1 before V2 was introduced). Don't want to speculate, hopefully will find out more at CanJam NYC next month. Will see you there!

Jan 11, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #10 of 10
I’m supposed to be saving for my wedding next year. Idk if canjam is a good idea

Just in general, not Westone related, but if you are having a hard time deciding which iems to get or which signature/tuning works the best with your source and your style of music, all the reviews you read will give you a good idea to narrow stuff down, but you need your own ears to make the final decision. And buying and returning or selling as used will cost you more wasted money. You gonna be like a kid in the candy shop at canjam, but at least you can spend 6-7 hours listening and trying everything to get a better idea and maybe to score some discounts. Keep in mind, there is also Audio46 store right there in Mahnattan, and I think they are going to be at the show. Those guys sell Westone and I think when you visit their site, you get first time 10% coupon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back