W3 vs SR80 (I know, I know)
Aug 26, 2009 at 11:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

RedSox

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone!

I realize that W3s and SR80s are completely different headphones, and this isn't one of those "which should I buy?" threads.

I own both W3s w/ UM56 and SR80s. I put on my SR80s for the first time in a while and was impressed! In some ways I think they sound a little better. Obviously, the (admittedly puny) soundstage of SR80s are better than that of W3s, and that may be why I'm so impressed.

Perhaps, though, it's just because the sound signatures are so different.

Speaking purely in terms of fidelity, which do you think is better?

Aug 27, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferrariman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your asking which one is better even though you own both?

Hah! Kind of. I'm asking which ones you guys think is better.

Aug 27, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #6 of 8
SR80. The W3 just sounds too EQ'd for my tastes, and I got a poor fit with most of the tips.

Aug 27, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ive heard the ms1 and w3 both unamped.. w3 sounded way better to me.

x2, except the MS1 were amped, not even close in sound quality.

Aug 27, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #8 of 8
Sounds like your UM65 aren't giving you the best fit for the W3 because if the W3 fits well it walks all over the SR80. Especially in soundstage.

W3 does not sound muddy, bass-heavy, or sibilant when it's fitted properly. It's mostly linear, with slightly bumped up mids, and a very glossy, somewhat artificially fluid finish. The muddy mids, bloated bass, and sharp sibilant highs that many people hear out of the W3 are due to fit. Unfortunately not everyone can get a good fit with it, but that's where the UM3x comes in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back