W3 VERSUS W30 - - EXCITING NEWS!
Feb 4, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #211 of 246

Thanks, Elfary! What is your main source for IEMs? 

Despite having tried a handful of chinese bricks (fiio x5, ibasso dx100, ak240) i always stick to my iPhone 6 128gb which is a heck of a driver for iems. Oddly enough the only source that has zero hiss with the SE846. Even my portable iBasso t3 (an iem amp) has a tiny amount of hiss with the 846.

technically, the iphone 6 is also a chinese brick no?

Feb 5, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #212 of 246
Despite having tried a handful of chinese bricks (fiio x5, ibasso dx100, ak240) i always stick to my iPhone 6 128gb which is a heck of a driver for iems. Oddly enough iPhone is the only source that has zero hiss with the SE846. Even my portable iBasso t3 (an iem amp) has a tiny amount of hiss with the 846.

Nice! Thanks! I also used to have T3 couple of years ago, but didn't like it)
When i was having W3 my main sources were iPod Touch 4G - nice, and Teclast T51 - fantastic!)
I'm asking because i want to return ti multidriver club)
I used to have too much gear during my life, even Merlins etc. And now planning to make some middle-priced stuff. So thinking about W30...

Feb 5, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #214 of 246

Nice! Thanks! I also used to have T3 couple of years ago, but didn't like it)
When i was having W3 my main sources were iPod Touch 4G - nice, and Teclast T51 - fantastic!)
I'm asking because i want to return ti multidriver club)
I used to have too much gear during my life, even Merlins etc. And now planning to make some middle-priced stuff. So thinking about W30...

I think Westone W30s are a great value for the money purchase. From there on diminished returns will hit you hard.

W30s feature kind of a 'silver screen' sound that even my SE846s struggle to portray. I mean i'd take SE846 first but as for soundstage the Westone W30 are the most impressive iem i have owned. Huge sound and crazy good separation and imaging.

I am really delighted with my second purchase of W30s. This time around i won't sell them. They are keepers.

Feb 9, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #216 of 246
Hi guys, I'm an italian guy, so sorry for my bad english. I'm a Shure SE425 owner, and I'd like to change them to get more bass. Actually, I really like them, but there's always a bit of bass missing. I've been reading through you're posts till now, and I'm interested in buying a Westone W30. In your opinion, the middle range is as good as on the Se425, which is the thing I really like about them? I'm a bit scared about the v-shape sounding W30, cause I don't want to lose those good mids I had with Se425. In general, there will be any increase in the sound quality by going with the W30? Thanks a lot!

Feb 9, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #217 of 246
Hi guys, I'm an italian guy, so sorry for my bad english. I'm a Shure SE425 owner, and I'd like to change them to get more bass. Actually, I really like them, but there's always a bit of bass missing. I've been reading through you're posts till now, and I'm interested in buying a Westone W30. In your opinion, the middle range is as good as on the Se425, which is the thing I really like about them? I'm a bit scared about the v-shape sounding W30, cause I don't want to lose those good mids I had with Se425. In general, there will be any increase in the sound quality by going with the W30? Thanks a lot!

Had a set of SE420s for 4 years. I dtiched them because at times bass energy left me wanting more.

Imho W30 bests the Shure in bass, highs and soundstage. Mids are very good but not as forward as in the Shures. W30s are quite a tonal departure frankly speaking,

You need to try in order to find out if they suit your tastes.

Personally i find the W30s far better than Shure twin drivers iems (420/425). W30s are very good at everything while SE425s are very good just in the mids department.

Feb 9, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #218 of 246
Had a set of SE420s for 4 years. I dtiched them because at times bass energy left me wanting more.

Imho W30 bests the Shure in bass, highs and soundstage. Mids are very good but not as forward as in the Shures. W30s are quite a tonal departure frankly speaking,

You need to try in order to find out if they suit your tastes.

Personally i find the W30s far better than Shure twin drivers iems (420/425). W30s are very good at everything while SE425s are very good just in the mids department.

Thank yoy! That's more or less the idea I had in mind. What about the UM Pro 30 instead? Too close to the 425 in sound signature maybe? Keep in mind that I don't need the mids to be forward, but to have quality!

Feb 10, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #220 of 246
Thank yoy! That's more or less the idea I had in mind. What about the UM Pro 30 instead? Too close to the 425 in sound signature maybe? Keep in mind that I don't need the mids to be forward, but to have quality!

Yep. UM Pro 30 mids are more similar to those of the SE425 than the W30 mids are.

But bear in mind that Pro 30 signature is rather peculiar (too laid back lower treble making for a somewhat dry sound and not the more spacious presentation out there). While i enjoyed my UM3x for 4.5 years it was because it brought to my mind the days i spent with some buddies at rehearsal rooms but the in your face sound of the Pro 30s is not for everybody. I think the W30s are more versatile and work better with all genres. W30s are a very well rounded product across the board. They have better bass, better highs, better dynamics and better soundstage than the Pro 30s. And the mids of the W30s are no slouch by any measure.

Certainly, I'd wish Westone had invested a few bucks to make the W30s more visible in the marketplace. Or visible at all. The lack of reviews in the media is mesmerizing.

But as stated, nothing replaces experience in the in ear realm so you'd better try to listen before buying.

Right now i'm listening to Leonard Cohen's "Old Ideas" album with the W30s and the sound is amazingly good: clear, spacious, nuanced. Really nice overall.

Feb 10, 2016 at 4:06 AM Post #221 of 246
Yep. UM Pro 30 mids are more similar to those of the SE425 than the W30 mid are.

But bear in mind that Pro 30 signature is rather peculiar (too laid back lower treble making for a somewhat dry sound and not the more spacious presentation out there). While i enjoyed my UM3x for 4.5 years it was because it brought to my mind the days i spent with some buddies at rehearsal rooms but the in your face sound of the Pro 30s is not for everybody. I think the W30s are more versatile and work better with all genres. W30s are a very well rounded product across the board.

Certainly, I'd wish Westone had invested a few bucks to make the W30s more visible in the marketplace. Or visible at all. The lack of reviews in the media is mesmerizing.

But as stated, nothing replaces experience in the in ear realm so you'd better try to listen before buying. Right now i'm listening to Leonard Cohen's "Old Ideas" album with the W30s and the sound is amazingly good.

Thanks. I think I'll stick with the w30. Unluckily I have no way to try this IEM cuase I live in Italy and it's difficult to find people or reseller that could provide me a listen. Cause you're very helpful, I'd like to ask you 1 last question. Right now there is the w40 on amazon.com (I have a friend that sometimes come back to Italy from USA) at 394$. Would it be an ultimate purchase or It's just a matter of taste to choose from one another? Thanks!

Feb 10, 2016 at 6:00 AM Post #222 of 246
Thanks. I think I'll stick with the w30. Unluckily I have no way to try this IEM cuase I live in Italy and it's difficult to find people or reseller that could provide me a listen. Cause you're very helpful, I'd like to ask you 1 last question. Right now there is the w40 on amazon.com (I have a friend that sometimes come back to Italy from USA) at 394$. Would it be an ultimate purchase or It's just a matter of taste to choose from one another? Thanks!

can't comment on the W40s since i have never heard them. I had set of W50s for a week...and utterly disliked them. Hence the idea of ultimate not always relates to the price tag or the number of drivers. I'd take W30 over W50 any day. Or SE846 over Pro 50 even if the Shure has 1 less driver.

Feb 10, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #223 of 246
As the first week of my 3rd tenure passes by i just can say that i'm glad i got the W30s back into the lineup. Best 3-driver that i have heard. I'm even lazy to open the drawer and take out the SE846s.

Feb 11, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #224 of 246
 As the first week of my 3rd tenure passes by i just can say that i'm glad i got the W30s back into the lineup. Best 3-driver that i have heard. I'm even lazy to open the drawer and take out the SE846s.

W30 vs the old westone models?? This thread has been very valuable in offering insight from so many impressions and experiences. I'm on a tight budget and narrowed my picks to four. My only experience is with the westone 3 which I absolutely adored but I do remember a minor bass issue. 

1. Used Like New W30: $240

2. Used mint condition UM3x: $200 

3. Brand New sealed Westone 3: $225

4. Used mint condition W4r: $300

I feel comfortable foregoing the warranty on a mint pair if I'm saving 200-300 dollars. The UM3x seems like a steal for comparable qualities but smaller soundstage. I already know how great the westone 3 is but kind of want to try something new. The W4r was a model I yearned for but never had the chance to upgrade to. Then finally the newer W30. Does it really beat the old W4r?

Can anyone offer advice on judging the price to performance of these models? As stated I LOVED my old W3.

Feb 17, 2016 at 5:05 AM Post #225 of 246
I'm telling distortion on certain spots when listening through the W30s. Listening with the SE846s distortion is harder to tell hence i'm wondering what's up with the crossover in the W30s since the masking seems to be lesser than that of the SE846s.

E.g. On the last track of Mary J. Blige "The Breakthrough" (Which happens to be One with U2 and all) between 1:58 and 2:01 there's a nasty background distortion that is blatant on the W30s but very hard to hear using the SE846s.

Can you hear it guys as clearly as i can when listening with the W30s? Are you able to spot it with other headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back