W3 VERSUS W30 - - EXCITING NEWS!
Oct 28, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #183 of 246
Received my pair of w30s yesterday and to be honest i was suspicious about what im going to get, especially about the bass and separation. But these things really did everything exactly as i wanted, the bass is punchy and accurate and, mids are above average and highs are as clear as i wanted. I have akg k701s and those are just so bright that i cant listen to them. W30s exceeded everything what i was waiting from them.

Nov 3, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #185 of 246
So I'm enjoying my W30s but I'm curious about the W40s. Spyro, can you tell me if the soundstage is wider on the W40s than on the W30s? I know you don't think the switch is worth it - LoL - but I just want something with a bit more soundstage.

Dec 2, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #187 of 246
i work in advertising and the only thing that bothers me was that great companies like Westone undermarket themselves.
a great american company

Dec 2, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #188 of 246
i work in advertising and the only thing that bothers me was that great companies like Westone undermarket themselves.
a great american company

Because they spend their money on making awesome professional grade products, not using lame celebrities to sell to kids. Ask any sound or music professional or audiophile and they all know Westone. They don't need to spend more on marketing because their target market knows them well.

Dec 2, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #189 of 246
So I'm enjoying my W30s but I'm curious about the W40s. Spyro, can you tell me if the soundstage is wider on the W40s than on the W30s? I know you don't think the switch is worth it - LoL - but I just want something with a bit more soundstage.

Sorry, just saw this.  They are very similar in soundstage.  Not huge but decent.  I prefer the W30 overall because it sounds more open, cleaner and clearer (brighter).

Dec 13, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #190 of 246
I'm a 1yr owner of the W40's and happened across a pair of W30's at a hock shop that were NIB. Not sealed, but everything was there and they might have been used/tested once, but I don't think so. Got them for $CAN 250, which was a deal I couldn't turn down - given the turn of the Canadian dollar and such.

I'll be comparing and reporting here soon. Initial 15 minute impressions are that the W30's are much more lively and lit up version of the W40s which are warm and a bit dark by comparison, but not without detail. 

Dec 13, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #191 of 246
Setup: Foobar - Flac 44.1/16bit or higher. Headphone out directly from XDA-2 which I find superior to most portable amped sources for IEMs.

My history: An older brother taught me critical listening at an early age. The unfortunate result being that my 20s and 30's were mostly completely music free since I could not stomach the regular fare without the capital for investment into my own equipment.  Headphone technology has drawn me back in on the cheap. To say I can be harsh or critical of equipment regardless of cost is sometimes an understatement.

On with the rambling ... 

My impression:
Honestly, to say that the W30's are superior to the higher numbers in the product line I think is a large leap. The W40's are superior in complex passages and leave the W30's in the dust.

For instance, Dead Can Dance / Anastasis / Return of the She-King peaks about 5 minutes in and starts to get quite complex across the spectrum. With a bass drum, male and female vocals, snares, horns, violins etc all set to a huge reverb of this just massive space is normally quite compelling. With the W30s  Lisa Gerrard's voice becomes flat an nasal. The whole cohesion falls apart and the space is lost into a flat wall of noise. There's simply just too much information and all the spacial cues fail.

I agree they are a 'fun' and edgy, and the W40's might seem a bit dark by comparison. But on careful listen and contrast the W40's while smoother still carry more detail and don't suffer from an etched sound in the upper midrange like the 30s. They can also hold, separate and call out instruments in complex passages. The 30s simply didn't pull this off for me. The 40s while missing that top tier sparkle, they do have enough to say that you can forget about it. The 30s have this in spades, but it can also be distracting. I'll go further that the 30s don't really anything glaringly wrong at any individual frequency. The issue with them seems to arise when things get complicated.

Musicality: 
On the Alum "Mickey Mouse Operation" by Little People the track 'Idiom' quite frequently in the right mood and equipment will give me gooseflesh on the arms. I wasn't finding that with the W30s. The W40s will often get me there.  That's why were here right? No matter how good of a technical performance you might get out of your equipment, if your music doesn't get you off - your doing it wrong! :wink:  The W40s pull me in. Stop me in my tracks, stop me from typing on head-phi.... I'm not getting any of that in the W30s. They don't relax me and allow me to let go.

Conclusion:
The W30s are full of grit and detail, but organic? No. Maybe a hair dry I might say, but that would be splitting hairs. They aren't terrible and for certain they out perform my Shure SE530's which I find don't even hold a candle to the W40s.  I did audition the W50's but I didn't think the jump in price had merit. The 60's were not yet available at that time and I have yet to take out the time to find a pair to try.   My wallet says I shouldn't. Someone previously called them out as 'only a bit more holophinic'.  Well, I don't know about you, but I like solid spacial representations of layered dynamics and textures. Sigh. What? 

Do the W30s perform well? Yes. As a mental exercise however, I would drop them into the $200 IEM category.  Comparably, I personally also see the W40s as a $300-400 IEM. I know the market doesn't agree with me with its rapidly inflating prices, but there you go. Maybe I'm living the past.

In simple music without complex passages (EDM/Calssical /Strings) the W30s do really shine.  However, fact is that if you have a varied taste in music and you are currently busy climbing the head-fi ladder then I would possibly suggest you pass. Then again, if you have some disposable cash, give 'em a roll. They are fun!

Dec 17, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #192 of 246
I respectfully disagree.  I don't think the 3 driver W30 has any trouble with any complex passages of music because that is a pet peave of mine.  What I think you are hearing is simply the fact that W40 has a more present and detailed mid range.  But W30 has more detailed bass and treble and is brighter and more open sounding....and is perhaps a tad rawer sounding.....W40 more refined.    It's personal preference if anything.
W50 is hot garbage.  Hideously overdone bass.  The worst IEM Westone has ever made.  Wouldn't buy it for $100

Dec 18, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #193 of 246
I knew Spyro would jump in :)

One of the reasons I love the W30 is precisely how well they handle themselves during complex passages. Do they sound as organic as the W40 or the UM50 - probably not. Could their mids be a bit better - certainly. But they probably have the most linear bass and sparkliest treble out of any of Westone's more expensive UIEMs.

Of course this also has a lot to do with proper tip choice. For me their signature changes dramatically (for the worse) with the longer tips. I lose detail and sparkle while the midbass increases.

That being said I've never heard anything in the $200 price range that comes close to the W30. Do I think $400 is a fair price for them...I'd say closer to $300 is fair. You can get pretty decent customs for $500 nowadays.

But as always - different strokes for different folks...

Dec 20, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #194 of 246
  I respectfully disagree.  I don't think the 3 driver W30 has any trouble with any complex passages of music because that is a pet peave of mine.  What I think you are hearing is simply the fact that W40 has a more present and detailed mid range.  But W30 has more detailed bass and treble and is brighter and more open sounding....and is perhaps a tad rawer sounding.....W40 more refined.    It's personal preference if anything.
W50 is hot garbage.  Hideously overdone bass.  The worst IEM Westone has ever made.  Wouldn't buy it for $100

UM Pro 50 all the way though :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back