W3 VERSUS W30 - - EXCITING NEWS!
Dec 31, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #46 of 246
Since the V6-Stage is still pretty impossible for me to get as of this moment, I guess I'll just stick with W30 for now.

Question to those who have the W30, what player would you suggest for this? I'm eyeing for a FiiO X3 or a DX50. Or will a FiiO X1 suffice? [I can get a FiiO X3 (slightly used) for the price of a brand new FiiO X1]

Can you help me? I am planning to buy those once I have saved enough.

Thanks!

Dec 31, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #47 of 246
i haven't heard the w30s but i've been listening to the w40s for the past month and i'm not impressed. the bass is really lacking when unamped. clarity and everything else is fine, but they only come alive when plugged in to my asgard 2. and even then, frankly, i'd prefer a bit more bass.

granted i'm a basshead and love my bass, but i'd say most people would need more oomph from a portable earphone. 

can anyone comment on the differences in bass between the w30 and w40 when unamped? i'm going to sell these and look elsewhere. 

Dec 31, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #48 of 246
As far as players, I use the Ipod "Classic" and my understanding is that Ipods are neutral to warmish/lush.  Given that Westone IEM's are generally on the warm side a brighter sounding player might be a good choice.  Someone else would have to comment on the Fiio or DX.

Unamped, from memory, W30 may have a little more bass than W40.  Pro30 bass is a bit thicker and authoritative and slams harder but it is very "in your head" sound with small soundstage.

Jan 1, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #49 of 246
Thanks for the replies.

Would also like to see a comparison between W30 and ATH-IM03 since they both use 3 drivers.

Jan 1, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #50 of 246
  i haven't heard the w30s but i've been listening to the w40s for the past month and i'm not impressed. the bass is really lacking when unamped. clarity and everything else is fine, but they only come alive when plugged in to my asgard 2. and even then, frankly, i'd prefer a bit more bass.

granted i'm a basshead and love my bass, but i'd say most people would need more oomph from a portable earphone. 

can anyone comment on the differences in bass between the w30 and w40 when unamped? i'm going to sell these and look elsewhere. 

My comparison here. http://www.head-fi.org/t/746615/legend-r-vs-k10-brief-review-and-27-others-now-incl-entire-westone-w-um-series-and-jvc-fx-series/105#post_11178667 The W30 has less bass than the W40.

Jan 6, 2015 at 6:06 AM Post #51 of 246
  Really,   if you don't want to break the bank you cannot go wrong with W30.  It is honestly a combination of W3, UM3X and W4/40 all in one.  There's no better way to describe it.

Bass:            Great control like UM3X but also abundant like W3.  No mid bass hump....very linear.
Midrange:     Closest to W4 but a hair less lush.  Vocals are great.  Not recessed like W3 and not to forward like UM3X.  
Treble:          As good or better than W3.  Perhaps it's best trait.  Exceptional clarity with zero harshness for a $350 IEM.
Soundstage: Great separation.  Fairly large stage but not as distant like what W3 does.  Just about the way you want it.

It can also handle high volume with ease.  Sometimes with W4 I felt like I was really pushing it....or that the W4 just didn't like high volume.  Most all Westone IEM's to high volume very well.

In every IEM in my sound sig, W60 and JH16 would be the only 2 IEM's I would trade straight up with.  But I would have to get a different cable for W60 as I want it brighter like W30 does it. 

OK well that's me sold.  Ever since getting into Grado on-ears a couple of years ago my old Shure E4C IEM were destined for the bin.

I was going Sennheiser IE80 but can they groove?  Then Grado GR10 but the build?  I was going to stick with Shure but the SE535 are old and the SE846 too much of a commitment.  Then I hit on the Westone thread yesterday - thanks to Spyro my W30 should arrive tomorrow, 300GBP from Amazon UK.

Vs my 7 year old Shures I'm expecting better bass, soundstage, ergonomics, musicality, less cable noise right?  I'll be using it with my iPhone 5 and trusty Sony X (also a head-fi recommendation).  Mostly nu-jazz / post-rock. Here's hoping I've done the right thing...

Jan 6, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #52 of 246

OK well that's me sold.  Ever since getting into Grado on-ears a couple of years ago my old Shure E4C IEM were destined for the bin.

I was going Sennheiser IE80 but can they groove?  Then Grado GR10 but the build?  I was going to stick with Shure but the SE535 are old and the SE846 too much of a commitment.  Then I hit on the Westone thread yesterday - thanks to Spyro my W30 should arrive tomorrow, 300GBP from Amazon UK.

Vs my 7 year old Shures I'm expecting better bass, soundstage, ergonomics, musicality, less cable noise right?  I'll be using it with my iPhone 5 and trusty Sony X (also a head-fi recommendation).  Mostly nu-jazz / post-rock. Here's hoping I've done the right thing...

And how did I miss the winter buying guide up until now? and I was surprised to see the 4R listed as I thought it was discontinued.  Seeing the W30 listed would have been reassuring but alas.  Reading about 4R and Cardas makes me consider sending the W30 back unopened tomorrow :D

Jan 6, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #53 of 246
Big-ears...tell us your thoughts when you receive.

W4....winter buying guide?   was it 2013 buying guide?  Yes, it's been discontinued for about a year now and there are NONE available anywhere as far as I know.

Jan 7, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #54 of 246
  Big-ears...tell us your thoughts when you receive.

W4....winter buying guide?   was it 2013 buying guide?  Yes, it's been discontinued for about a year now and there are NONE available anywhere as far as I know.

Yeah, I'm seeing the 4R right there on page 2 - http://www.head-fi.org/a/head-fi-buying-guide-in-ear-headphones-2

More importantly, about my new W30 :)

Wow things have moved on a bit since the E4c :D  Ergonomics = great. Immediate reaction to the first track I played, Deb Talan's "Vincent" (amazing on the AKG 701 I used to have - shame about the painful headband) anyway,  mid bass sounds strangely thick - she's gone up a bra size. HOWEVER having spent a couple of more hours playing I'm starting to realise a couple of things about these...

1) The right fit is absolutely crucial. Sounds obvious but the variation of mid bass going through the buds supplied is crazy - much more than the E4c. Maybe phones with a meaty sound are more prone to this? Or maybe these have been tuned with custom tips in mind? Anyway

2) Try whatever buds you have that fit.  My favourites so far are some black squashy rubber olive shape ones I had in a drawer. I was given them without the box so I have no idea what they are, but the best so far.

3) With the best fit I can get and and the best buds I have... I switch from album to album and everything sounds more engaging. Stuff I don't even like much I'm now foot-tapping to.  And the bass in these sounds sorted! I was expecting some tracks with piano to emphasise the mid-bass I was hearing with Deb Talan but no, the whole range sounds even and convincing. Hmmmm likely I'm now hearing the Talan track closer to as-is.

4) I'm getting a hiss from my Sony X player but no hiss from the iPhone 5 whatsoever. Sensitivity?

Going to leave them playing overnight and see what tomorrow brings...

Jan 7, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #56 of 246
Yea,   back in the day E4C was a great IEM.  I would think next to W30, E4 is one dimensional sounding and midrange dominant.  The W30 is a more 3D,  grander sound all the way around.
Should not be any burn-in whatsoever except for your ears adjusting to the sound.

Jan 8, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #57 of 246
I've just ordered some W30's. (past owner of westone 3's) .

There will never be a perfect IEM,headphone etc etc as the word perfection is an absolute and there is no evidence of such a state ever existing,thus perfection is probably an imagined anthropogenic ideology (amongst many many others).

However there is evidence of change on all levels of existence. I haven’t listened to music with a High quality IEM for quite a while.

I fancy a change of music perception :) .

Music is physics brought to life with biology.

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #58 of 246
  I've just ordered some W30's. (past owner of westone 3's) .

There will never be a perfect IEM,headphone etc etc as the word perfection is an absolute and there is no evidence of such a state ever existing,thus perfection is probably an imagined anthropogenic ideology (amongst many many others).

However there is evidence of change on all levels of existence. I haven’t listened to music with a High quality IEM for quite a while.

I fancy a change of music perception :) .

Music is physics brought to life with biology.

Nice healthy dash of postmodernism to start the day! The W30's are wonderful- I think you'll love them.

Jan 11, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #59 of 246
... I can't tell you how much fun I'm having here.  To add to what I said above about the right fit and to try lots of different tips, I'm also having some amazing results with the iPhone app CanOpener. Great EQ and crossfade functions and best of all, it lets you save profiles for each of your phones. iPhone 5 and W30 with crossfade and a dash less bass / more treble is good for me...  

Jan 13, 2015 at 7:05 AM Post #60 of 246
  ... I can't tell you how much fun I'm having here.  To add to what I said above about the right fit and to try lots of different tips, I'm also having some amazing results with the iPhone app CanOpener. Great EQ and crossfade functions and best of all, it lets you save profiles for each of your phones. iPhone 5 and W30 with crossfade and a dash less bass / more treble is good for me...  

I have found the iPhone 5 and Westone 3 to have good synergy in general.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back