W3 or SE530 for bass (hip-hop, etc) closest to DT770 sound?
Dec 30, 2008 at 6:43 AM Post #31 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, those extra chins must be a bitch.
tongue.gif

Alright, first of all, I said it rubbed against my neck, not my chin(s?). And second of all, I'm not the only one who finds the short Y-split to be an issue: The only reason I know about the issue is from Westone 3 owners.

So... umm... "Oooh, good one" I guess.

Dec 30, 2008 at 6:46 AM Post #32 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To my ears, the IE8's had much more bass. No doubt. I had both on hand at the same time, and did extensive back and forth comparing over the same musical passages. They also had a larger soundstage. But the W3's had better instrument placement within their soundstage, and better detail and resolution. It just comes down to what you prefer SQ-wise. Overall I preferred the W3's by a small margin because of the lovely instrument rendering and placement. But strictly for bass, the IE8's were the winner.

So the Westone 3 has better instrument placement and better detail and resolution than the IE8. How is the instrument placement, detail and resolution of the IE8 compared to the SE530?

Dec 30, 2008 at 11:37 AM Post #33 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To my ears, the IE8's had much more bass. No doubt. I had both on hand at the same time, and did extensive back and forth comparing over the same musical passages. They also had a larger soundstage. But the W3's had better instrument placement within their soundstage, and better detail and resolution. It just comes down to what you prefer SQ-wise. Overall I preferred the W3's by a small margin because of the lovely instrument rendering and placement. But strictly for bass, the IE8's were the winner.

I concur with you, soundstage clarity and depth no doubt goes to the w3s..a fully burned-in IE8 (200+ hours) has a larger soundstage but feels abit muddy to my ears when compared with the w3s..

Dec 30, 2008 at 1:05 PM Post #34 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To AgainstTheGrain...Being a little bit of a referee, calling the OP's thread pointless served no real purpose, and did inject a personal sort of aspect to the thread (the first such post). And the retort was a bit over the top. Also, having 400-some posts doesn't qualify you as some sort of Head-Fi veteran, so calling the OP a new member is somewhat of a stretch. You didn't just disagree with him, you called his posts pointless, which to me, is a personal attack of sorts. So being the "better man" now, after your post really precipitated the over the top response, is somewhat disingenuous. Anyway, why criticize the OP? Better to just say nothing. And on the flip side, certainly no reason to attack Jersey.

you are right and I do apologise for my own immaturity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankthetank /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AgainstTheGrain: hey bro, I do apologize sincerely, especially for attacking where your from (sorry...my best friends girl is from there and we just dont get along at all; I projected my resentment of her onto you and Im sorry for that. Jersey is great. Much love for the red devils!) I lost my control and acted immature and for that I apologize. Im frustrated because I just cant seem to make a final decision and its a very hard one, as you know (especially when all evidence/opinions seems to be conflicting). Im glad I was told about the IE8, it does seem to go head to head well with the W3, especially with the bass. I know I am a n00b here and didnt mean to act like a *********, Im just frustrated and felt like you were attacking me. And a flame war IS pointless. We are both grown men here, which I think is shown by how this is resolved. Just a case of mis-communication on my hand I suppose and I am sincere in my apology. You dont have to answer, but can you tell me how the IE8/W3s bass sounds compared to the intensity/sound of the DT770s (again, thats the type of sound Im trying to closest emulate)? Do you feel the difference between the IE8/W3 bass/overall SQ is negligible? The price for both is practically the same at earphonesolutions (of which, Flavio T told me I should go with the W3) so thats not an issue with me, and I have no experience with either brand so brand loyalty isnt a factor either. I simply want the harder hitting, deeper, overall best sound for bass driven music like hip-hop, reggae, etc. I dont blame you if you dont reply, Im just trying to bury the hatchet and get your opinion, as you were in the same boat that I am. Ive been checking out your thread though and so it seems we share similar musical tastes (kanye, lincoln park, alicia keys) and have both been through the hell of deciding between these awesome IEMs. It looks as though you too started out leaning towards the W3, then switched to the IE8, which is my exact feeling right now (I still dont like the idea of the bass adjustment know and have heard mixed things about fit/isolation)

From what Ive found, half the people say the W3 is better for bass, whereas the other half say the IE8 is. Also, half say the W3 is better fitting, more comfortable, with better isolation, whereas, the other half...thats right...say the same thing about the IE8. The IE8 has a bigger sound stage, but so does the W3?...Conclusion? I guess I need to still read even more threads/opinions...lol

Cheers and a happy new year to all!

no harm done man. besides all the jerks are in NYC lol jk. all is forgiven. well this may be a pretty long post just should warn you now.

well the IE8 are hands down superior to the DT770s in everyway. that includes bass. the bass is pretty much even but the IE8 just kill the DT770 in everything else. Highs, soundstage, separation, and clarity. i have never heard an IEM with bass like the IE8. and with the bass adjuster you can make the bass as powerful as you want.

now as for the W3. my former assistant had a trial pair. he also had the UM2. he said the W3 were superior to the UM2 but not to the extent of the way people blow up the W3 now. maybe because they were unfinished.

but still noone has compared the bass of the W3 to close of that of the IE8. most people say the W3 has more detail which is believable being that it is a 3-way IEM.

Oh i don't have any problems with isolation and i used them on the bus to work this morning. As another tid bit. the IE8 frequency response is 10 - 20,000 kHz. that means it is killer at picking up low frequencies. as a comparison the se530s are only 18 - 19,000 kHz. meaning the IE8 hit lower and higher frequencies than the shures. i dunno if anyone has the numbers for the W3. but the numbers don't lie.

why don't you purchase the IE8 and if you don't like them return them for the W3?

Dec 30, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #35 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And at least the Y-split is long enough on the SE530 so it doesn't rub against my neck when I wear it down the front unlike the Westone UM2 I once owned, and from what I've heard the Westone 3's Y-split is even shorter.

Actually the Y-split is slightly longer on the W3 than the UM2. The length isn't an issue for me as I always wear it at the back of my head, either with the cable coming down my back or around the side of the neck.

Dec 30, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #36 of 43
All good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgainstTheGrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you are right and I do apologise for my own immaturity.

no harm done man. besides all the jerks are in NYC lol jk. all is forgiven. well this may be a pretty long post just should warn you now.

well the IE8 are hands down superior to the DT770s in everyway. that includes bass. the bass is pretty much even but the IE8 just kill the DT770 in everything else. Highs, soundstage, separation, and clarity. i have never heard an IEM with bass like the IE8. and with the bass adjuster you can make the bass as powerful as you want.

now as for the W3. my former assistant had a trial pair. he also had the UM2. he said the W3 were superior to the UM2 but not to the extent of the way people blow up the W3 now. maybe because they were unfinished.

but still noone has compared the bass of the W3 to close of that of the IE8. most people say the W3 has more detail which is believable being that it is a 3-way IEM.

Oh i don't have any problems with isolation and i used them on the bus to work this morning. As another tid bit. the IE8 frequency response is 10 - 20,000 kHz. that means it is killer at picking up low frequencies. as a comparison the se530s are only 18 - 19,000 kHz. meaning the IE8 hit lower and higher frequencies than the shures. i dunno if anyone has the numbers for the W3. but the numbers don't lie.

why don't you purchase the IE8 and if you don't like them return them for the W3?

Dec 30, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #37 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by bossnass15 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I concur with you, soundstage clarity and depth no doubt goes to the w3s..a fully burned-in IE8 (200+ hours) has a larger soundstage but feels abit muddy to my ears when compared with the w3s..

To what degree? Like is the IE8 disappointingly muddy compared to the Westone 3, or less muddy than the other IEMs out there but just more muddy than the Westone 3? Can we get some other IEMs, like the SE530 and triple.fi 10 pro, in the comparison of clarity and depth?

Dec 30, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #38 of 43
AgainstTheGrain: thanks for the info man. I just ordered the IE8s from earphonesolutions so soon we will see (I couldnt take researching any more). It was such a hard move because this forum seems to put the W3 up on a pedestal. I did notice the insanely low frequency range of the IE8s and there is a lot to be said about the difference between the 1 dynamic driver of the Senns vs the triple balanced of the W3 (no one seems to launch into that debate too much). I talked to a friend of mine whose a sound designer/audio-freak and he said a dynamic driver has better bass response. I just always heard the W3s as being the Jesus of IEM's, but believe these do better bass, have a better sound stage and (hopefully) are comperable in other avenues like detail, mids, etc. Hype is a bitch. With time we will see. The tough part is over...no...wait...now the tough part is waiting to get these bad dogs from florida, lol. Thanks for your (and everyone else's) help on this. Im still the debate will still rage on. Smoke em' if you got em!
beerchug.gif

Dec 30, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #39 of 43
frankthetank-
Congrats on making a decision! I'm sure you'll be very satisfied with the IE8. They're great. I agree about the characteristics of dynamic phones. I'm a dynamic guy too, as my favorite earphone to date is a dynamic. The IE8's and the Atrios do bass much better than the W3 ever could hope to.

Dec 30, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #40 of 43
Thanks cn11. I havent felt this jittery since I was a little kid on Xmas morn, waiting to open what I was sure was a nintendo. I was curious if anyone with the IE8s could could give me an idea of how to burn them in. Specifically what type of music should I play for the "pink noise" ive been reading about? Should I avoid bass during the burn in? Should I avoid having the volume loud? I assume I should just make a playlist on my macbook and just let it play for a few days? Sorry, Im just lining up all my ducks in a row here...I got 48 hrs (hopefully) till fedex arrives (yeah thats right...I upgraded the shipping I cant take this wait any damn longer lol).

Dec 31, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #41 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by AgainstTheGrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the IE8 frequency response is 10 - 20,000 kHz. that means it is killer at picking up low frequencies. as a comparison the se530s are only 18 - 19,000 kHz. meaning the IE8 hit lower and higher frequencies than the shures. i dunno if anyone has the numbers for the W3. but the numbers don't lie.

That clatter in the background is the sound of every audiophile around hanging up on this thread.
tongue.gif

Dec 31, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #43 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by frankthetank /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AgainstTheGrain: thanks for the info man. I just ordered the IE8s from earphonesolutions so soon we will see (I couldnt take researching any more). It was such a hard move because this forum seems to put the W3 up on a pedestal. I did notice the insanely low frequency range of the IE8s and there is a lot to be said about the difference between the 1 dynamic driver of the Senns vs the triple balanced of the W3 (no one seems to launch into that debate too much). I talked to a friend of mine whose a sound designer/audio-freak and he said a dynamic driver has better bass response. I just always heard the W3s as being the Jesus of IEM's, but believe these do better bass, have a better sound stage and (hopefully) are comperable in other avenues like detail, mids, etc. Hype is a bitch. With time we will see. The tough part is over...no...wait...now the tough part is waiting to get these bad dogs from florida, lol. Thanks for your (and everyone else's) help on this. Im still the debate will still rage on. Smoke em' if you got em!
beerchug.gif

not a problem. congrats on your purchase. i'm glad i could be of service. trust me the single dynamic driver vs. triple driver has been beat into the ground especially between the IE8 and W3. it just leads to fustration. also if you noticed the hype surrounding the W3 has died down and people are starting to realize how great the IE8 are. it usually goes like that around here.
A new headphone will be released, there will be mass hysteria, then after a few weeks it will die down and people will come back to reality. besides since the IE8 are European it was daym near impossible to find a solid review on them when the W3 were released. now that they are becoming more readily accessable people are starting to come around.
I am eager to hear your impressions once you receive them.

WELCOME TO THE IE8 CLAN!!!
ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back