W3 or SE530 for bass (hip-hop, etc) closest to DT770 sound?
Dec 29, 2008 at 7:42 AM Post #16 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by AgainstTheGrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if your heart is so set on getting the W3 why even bother with this thread? you obviously want the W3, you even said you have been dreaming about them since their rumor began, so just get them and be done with it. i see this thread as being pointless since everytime someone recommends an IEM, you go back to your wanting for the W3.

Have you even read the thread? I am now very interested in the IE8s as per peoples recommendations. My heart was set on the W3 because they are touted as being the greatest thing since sliced bread. I "want" the best IEM for my musical tastes, not the W3, if thats not best suited for me. If I "wanted" the W3 and was 100 % on it, I would have bought it already, but Im not 100%. I bother with this thread because I wanted opinions of others on what they thought was the better IEM for bass and my musical preference. Now since people seem to tell me how awesome the IE8 is with regards to bass quality, I am in between the W3 and IE8. Thus, the thread serves a purpose. Why would I just go out and get the W3 simply because of hype, as there is potentially something better for me (see: IE8). You may be willing to drop $400 on a pair of phones not caring if they are the best to meet your needs but Im not. Whats the point of highjacking a thread just to offer no advice and instead criticize me for simply asking opinions of others? Is there any? I guess you have a lot of time on your hands. You sum up every person Ive ever met from Jersey...please stay there.

Dec 29, 2008 at 8:05 AM Post #17 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by frankthetank /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you even read the thread? I am now very interested in the IE8s as per peoples recommendations. My heart was set on the W3 because they are touted as being the greatest thing since sliced bread. I "want" the best IEM for my musical tastes, not the W3, if thats not best suited for me. If I "wanted" the W3 and was 100 % on it, I would have bought it already, but Im not 100%. I bother with this thread because I wanted opinions of others on what they thought was the better IEM for bass and my musical preference. Now since people seem to tell me how awesome the IE8 is with regards to bass quality, I am in between the W3 and IE8. Thus, the thread serves a purpose. Why would I just go out and get the W3 simply because of hype, as there is potentially something better for me (see: IE8). You may be willing to drop $400 on a pair of phones not caring if they are the best to meet your needs but Im not. Whats the point of highjacking a thread just to offer no advice and instead criticize me for simply asking opinions of others? Is there any? I guess you have a lot of time on your hands. You sum up every person Ive ever met from Jersey...please stay there.

Dude take it easy man. The above poster just said you should get the W3 since they've been on your mind for so long, no need for the personal attacks.

Anyways, I have the W3, never heard IE8, but W3 is the only IEM I've tried that made my teeth vibrate against each other when playing some crazy bass heavy tracks (the one I was listening to when that happened was Lil Wayne - Milli).

My previous IEMs were 5 pro's and while the bass on those were great, the bass on the W3s just have so much extension and depth that when compared to the 5 pro's, the 5 pro's is like looking at a nice digital picture while W3s you're actually at the scene where the photo was taken.

Dec 29, 2008 at 8:39 AM Post #18 of 43
Sorry, I do apologize, I just dont like it when my asking questions and opinions is called pointless. Especially when someone says I havent been listening to peoples opinions, I have, as now Im even more stuck between the IE8 and W3...actually leaning more towards the IE8 now

Thats awesome to know about your W3 experience (and lil wayne has sick ass beats). This is why I was on the W3 in the first place because people seem to like it for not just its bass, but all around (comfort, isolation, build, mids, etc). But here in lies the problem as you cant offer any contrast vs the IE8s, who most people who replied told me that hands down, I should go with them. Obviously one is going to have better, deeper bass and be better overall. In a perfect world, I would get both, but funds are strapped and I want the one I decide on getting to be perfect for my tastes. You seem to love the bass on the W3, but what if, like according to people Ive talked to and read, the IE8 or something else out there is better sounding than the W3 (with bass or overall)? Thats all Im trying to weed out before I pull the trigger this week. Im just frustrated because I want to get them ASAP, dont want to have buyers remorse and there seem to be so many conflicting opinions. Furthermore, there seems to be a very limited # of people who have heard both IEMS (but suprisingly, alot of those who do have both seem to favor the IE8 after burn in).

Dec 29, 2008 at 8:52 AM Post #19 of 43
Quote:

You seem to love the bass on the W3, but what if, like according to people Ive talked to and read, the IE8 or something else out there is better sounding than the W3 (with bass or overall)?

Whatever, that won't bother me. I am very happy with my W3s. Everybody's got different tastes, so as long as you like the sound (which you will with either IEM) then that's all it matters.

Between the IE8, W3, SE530, and triple.fi, my decision came to W3 because:

1) I came from super.fi 5 pro's and used them for 3 years, so I want to try a different brand. No triple.fi.

2) I tried the SE530, sounds good, but I didn't like the short cable. You basically needed the extension cord, which I thought was a pain.

3) IE8, the store didn't let me try them. So no go.

4) Finally tried the W3s, and in the 10-15 min or so of listening, I couldn't give a preference to this or the SE530. Both sounded similar upon initial impressions. But it was Westone's perfect cable and their comfort that made me buy them.

Dec 29, 2008 at 9:03 AM Post #20 of 43
But let me add that I do believe you will have buyer's remorse with the IE8. Why? Simply because you've been reading up on the W3 and thinking about them for such a long time. The IE8s have probably just recently come into the picture, so even if you buy the IE8 you'll always have that feeling like, "Man, I wonder what the W3 sounds like...". It's kinda like a dream that you will never fulfill. Know what I mean?

Dec 29, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #21 of 43
forsberg, your totally right! Thats exactly what Im sure is going to happen if I get the IE8. Also, I think if I get the W3, I will always be wondering how much better the bass is on IE8 as per its bass hype.
frown.gif
Thats why Im so frustrated. Most people here love the W3, but I dont think most hi-fi'ers are bassheads. Im think (as per the hype/reviews) the W3 may be better overall, but it may be that the IE8 has better bass, but I cant get any definitive answers on the how big the gap is between the two in regards to bass and overall sound/quality. If I could just find out that the IE8 only does bass slightly better than the W3 Id jump on the W3. But i dont want to find out that the IE8 hits more like 2 12" subs and the W3 is like an underpowerd 8". I guess I'll have to keep doing research and just pony up. Im gonna get them from earphonesolutions and they offer exchanges (up to 2) without restocking fees, so if Im unhappy with whatever I get, Ill try the other IEM. Still, I just wish I could get the right set, the first time.

Dec 29, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #22 of 43
To me the W3's bass sounds like a cross between my DT990s and Sony SA5000s, and that's a fine place to be IMO. Seems to me that anyone wanting greater bass emphasis that the W3 offers must be listening to something other than music. The bass on these things is simply outstanding by any reasonable measure.

Dec 30, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #23 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by forsberg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2) I tried the SE530, sounds good, but I didn't like the short cable. You basically needed the extension cord, which I thought was a pain.

4) Finally tried the W3s, and in the 10-15 min or so of listening, I couldn't give a preference to this or the SE530. Both sounded similar upon initial impressions. But it was Westone's perfect cable and their comfort that made me buy them.

Really. You chose the Westone 3 over the SE530 because of the cable? Don't get me wrong, the materials used for the Westone 3's cable are fantastic. But I have absolutely zero problems using the extension cable for my SE530. And at least the Y-split is long enough on the SE530 so it doesn't rub against my neck when I wear it down the front unlike the Westone UM2 I once owned, and from what I've heard the Westone 3's Y-split is even shorter.

And no, I'm not a Shure fanboy: In fact I'm very close to ordering the IE8.

Dec 30, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #24 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really. You chose the Westone 3 over the SE530 because of the cable? Don't get me wrong, the materials used for the Westone 3's cable are fantastic. But I have absolutely zero problems using the extension cable for my SE530. And at least the Y-split is long enough on the SE530 so it doesn't rub against my neck when I wear it down the front unlike the Westone UM2 I once owned, and from what I've heard the Westone 3's Y-split is even shorter.

And no, I'm not a Shure fanboy: In fact I'm very close to ordering the IE8.

Yeah, I didn't like that huge thing that connects to the extension cord. Sometimes I like to wear it down my back so if I sit down it won't be comfortable.

I felt that it was just a gimmick for their PTH device. If they created a different model without the PTH and a long enough cable without any extension cords, then I would've given it a more detailed sound test against the Westones.

Dec 30, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #25 of 43
wow I had to chime back in after the personal attacks in my absence. I'll be the bigger man and since you are a new member here I'm not gonna get into a flame war. That is pointless. I never said The OP didn't listen to opinion I said you always came back to the same rebuttal with the W3.

You know I had the same dilemma as the OP that is why I started the IE8 vs. Westone 3 thread. Maybe you should look in there and you will find a good chunk of comparisons between the two from people who own, have owned or have tested both.

I chose the IE8 for the soundstage, bass adjuster, and Sennheiser brand recognition oh and not to forget the price.

As for your personal attacks you need to learn how to control your emotions and not have a temper tantrum like some 5 year old everytime someone disagrees with you. That is how you get banned. And please do not disrespect where I am from.

Dec 30, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #26 of 43
I havent heard the IE8 as I have said; but plan on picking myself up a pair while they are cheap here. but by the sounds of it they really have got a sennheiser sound signature IE: nice bass, good mids, good soundstage (possibly at the expense of worse isolation because soundstage is a result of the drivers placement further from the eardrum) but they are a bit dark sounding from what I have read and this gels with the rest of the Senn line-up. so while good for extended listening. and in general if you like that SQ; but if you like sparkle then W3 wins the day. again I havent tied (will do soon) but thats what it sounds like from all impressions I have read. I also think the bass adjustment is too much of a gimmick.

Dec 30, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #27 of 43
To AgainstTheGrain...Being a little bit of a referee, calling the OP's thread pointless served no real purpose, and did inject a personal sort of aspect to the thread (the first such post). And the retort was a bit over the top. Also, having 400-some posts doesn't qualify you as some sort of Head-Fi veteran, so calling the OP a new member is somewhat of a stretch. You didn't just disagree with him, you called his posts pointless, which to me, is a personal attack of sorts. So being the "better man" now, after your post really precipitated the over the top response, is somewhat disingenuous. Anyway, why criticize the OP? Better to just say nothing. And on the flip side, certainly no reason to attack Jersey.

Dec 30, 2008 at 4:40 AM Post #28 of 43
AgainstTheGrain: hey bro, I do apologize sincerely, especially for attacking where your from (sorry...my best friends girl is from there and we just dont get along at all; I projected my resentment of her onto you and Im sorry for that. Jersey is great. Much love for the red devils!) I lost my control and acted immature and for that I apologize. Im frustrated because I just cant seem to make a final decision and its a very hard one, as you know (especially when all evidence/opinions seems to be conflicting). Im glad I was told about the IE8, it does seem to go head to head well with the W3, especially with the bass. I know I am a n00b here and didnt mean to act like a *********, Im just frustrated and felt like you were attacking me. And a flame war IS pointless. We are both grown men here, which I think is shown by how this is resolved. Just a case of mis-communication on my hand I suppose and I am sincere in my apology. You dont have to answer, but can you tell me how the IE8/W3s bass sounds compared to the intensity/sound of the DT770s (again, thats the type of sound Im trying to closest emulate)? Do you feel the difference between the IE8/W3 bass/overall SQ is negligible? The price for both is practically the same at earphonesolutions (of which, Flavio T told me I should go with the W3) so thats not an issue with me, and I have no experience with either brand so brand loyalty isnt a factor either. I simply want the harder hitting, deeper, overall best sound for bass driven music like hip-hop, reggae, etc. I dont blame you if you dont reply, Im just trying to bury the hatchet and get your opinion, as you were in the same boat that I am. Ive been checking out your thread though and so it seems we share similar musical tastes (kanye, lincoln park, alicia keys) and have both been through the hell of deciding between these awesome IEMs. It looks as though you too started out leaning towards the W3, then switched to the IE8, which is my exact feeling right now (I still dont like the idea of the bass adjustment know and have heard mixed things about fit/isolation)

tstarn06: thanks for being the ref. I know I was at fault, but, I think at least you can see why I personally felt like I was being attacked. Still, thanks for acting as a moderator, even though I was at fault for getting personal. Just frustrated.

From what Ive found, half the people say the W3 is better for bass, whereas the other half say the IE8 is. Also, half say the W3 is better fitting, more comfortable, with better isolation, whereas, the other half...thats right...say the same thing about the IE8. The IE8 has a bigger sound stage, but so does the W3?...Conclusion? I guess I need to still read even more threads/opinions...lol

Cheers and a happy new year to all!

Dec 30, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #29 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wow, those extra chins must be a bitch.
tongue.gif

Dec 30, 2008 at 5:59 AM Post #30 of 43
Quote:

I simply want the harder hitting, deeper, overall best sound for bass driven music like hip-hop, reggae, etc.

To my ears, the IE8's had much more bass. No doubt. I had both on hand at the same time, and did extensive back and forth comparing over the same musical passages. They also had a larger soundstage. But the W3's had better instrument placement within their soundstage, and better detail and resolution. It just comes down to what you prefer SQ-wise. Overall I preferred the W3's by a small margin because of the lovely instrument rendering and placement. But strictly for bass, the IE8's were the winner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back