W3 + CMOY
Jan 14, 2010 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

ambchang

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all:

I just received my first headphone amp yesterday in the mail. It's a DIY CMOY amp that was nice and cheap.

The sole reason for getting this amp was because I was so satisfied with my W3, I was interested in seeing how the sound could be further improved.

In case you are wondering, I am not an audiophile at all, I just enjoy listening to music. I know what I like, but I just can't put my finger as to what I like about it.

Anyways, right after I got my CMOY, I plugged it into my G4 iPod with a Canare cable for input, and a W3 for the earphones. I listened to Radiohead, Sigur Ros, New Order, RAtM, and a few other of my favourites (all Apple lossless). The main difference I hear with the CMOY is how much stronger the bass is. While the quantity of bass was a lot more, I didn't feel like the quality was that much better. In fact, I felt that the bass was a little muddled, while the treble and mids seemed to have retained the crisp and sparkle.

I next plugged the CMOY into my Macmini, and listened to the Thrills, the bass is even more pronounced, but seemed to have cleaned up a bit.

All of this was done with a Comply tips, and if memory serves correctly, I find the Triple-flanges to be the best for sound quality amongst all the tips.

The overall effect of the CMOY was, surprisingly, around the bass. I find that there are some effects around the mids and the highs, mostly making the music sound brighter. The music is even more fun to listen to, at the expense of missing some details.

I can't wait to get my Tomahawk in the mail within the next couple of days, and I am looking into getting some UM56 custom tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back