W3 + CK100's or FX500's?
Jul 1, 2009 at 2:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Zalithian

Headphoneus Supremus
I currently own the W3's, PFE's, NE-7M's, and CX400's. My DAPS are a Cowon D2, Sony A818 and 30 GB Ipod Video. I liked the sound signature on the IE8's but sold them mostly due to fit issues. The FX500's sound interesting but so do the ATH-CK100's but there's a pretty big price difference. I don't have a problem spending $400 but I'm wondering if it's worth getting the CK100's or just going for the FX-500's. My primary genres will be prog rock, metal, and orchestral. I'm not that picky about sound as I can enjoy different sound signatures and don't limit myself to one. If I had to pick a favorite between the IE8's and W3's I'd rather not. I enjoy my PFE's, NE-7M's, W3's and also liked the UM3X and IE8's quite a bit. Comfort would be nice, and isolation is not important.

So, I'm wondering if the CK100's are different enough from the W3's that I should get them, or if I should just save some cash and get the FX500's which would be a nicer complement.

Jul 1, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #2 of 5
If you like rock and metal then CK100 isn't for you. It just doesn't have enough quantity of bass to make that type of music impactful. You're probably better off with FX500

I still find CK100 best for vocals or c-pop/j-pop in general

Jul 1, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #3 of 5
I see.. what is the quantity comparable to on the CK100's? I do listen to all sorts of stuff. I don't listen to the heavy types of metal that I used to much anymore. I listen to Melodic Death occasionally but primarily I'm talking about Dream Theater, Pain of Salvation, Anime Music, Classical, Coheed and Cambria etc.

Jul 1, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #4 of 5
hmm i suspect its similar to SE530, pronounced mids but lacking bass, though don't take my word for it since i've not heard it before. But comparing to FX500, i have to crank the Clearbass on my A728 to max to get same quantity of bass on the CK100 as FX500 at +1 (max is +3).

Sorry, i've not heard the bands you've listed, but you definitely wouldn't be disappointed using the CK100 to listen to anime music. I find classical sound very good on CK100 as well, thanks to its deep soundstage. It's not like CK100 cannot be used for rock, but it just lacks the excitement because its sound signature is simply too clean and transparent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back