W2002 low frequency response
Feb 8, 2002 at 8:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

M Rael

500+ Head-Fier
This is very unscientific, but using an equalizer along with its bypass function I noticed a few things using the Stereophile Test CD-- the low frequency test tones tracks. First I played the 61Hz tone, bypassing EQ functions, and centered the controls so the reading gave me a '0' (neither cut or boosted.) Then I moved down to the 31Hz track and noticed the reading: about 1db down in level. Then I switched in the EQ, using the recommended settings from Sunier, and did the same thing. This time obviously the reading at 31Hz was a little boosted.
The main point I'm posting about is that without EQ, the W2002 showed a response of around 1db down at 31Hz. In instrument terms, the kick drum usually shows up as energy around 60Hz. If I'm not mistaken the lowest note on an electric bass is in the upper 40's. A pipe organ can sometimes go into the mid teen's, and an earthquake is probably in the 2-6Hz range. :)

There were test tones going down to 20Hz, but since none of my EQ bands is centered on those frequencies it was impossible to tell what the relative levels were. It wasnt hard to get 20Hz to play loud and at the same time leave the level alone and play 60Hz without it seeming too loud. In other words you didnt have to crank the volume like mad to get 20Hz to play loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back