W1000 VS W5000 sonic differences?
Jan 19, 2009 at 11:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Vandal

500+ Head-Fier
What are the major differences between the sound sig of both these cans? What type of amping do they prefer i.e. SS or tube?
Which of them offer better quality sound in your opinion?
Are the cabling of both OFC6N?
Which of the two has better extension in highs? Lush mid-range? Punchier bass?

Jan 19, 2009 at 12:16 PM Post #2 of 22
Hi Vandal,

The sound character of both is such that the midrange is the star of the show. Both provide crystal clear clarity, which when paired with the wrong amp, may come across as etched or tipped up.

The major difference between the two as I hear things is balance, top to bottom range-wise. Where the 1Ks’ mid-range is quite sweet, the 5Ks have more and better delineated bass and a high end that is a bit smoother. Thus, I could see some see the 1Ks midrange as better when, in reality the 5Ks' mids are equal or better but just not as prominent. The 5Ks also provide a slightly larger soundstage as well.

To me, both cans work best with tubes. That said, the 5Ks work better with a much wider variety of amps and do well with SS also. Because of this, I believe that the 5Ks are without a doubt the better (overall) set of cans.

Until recently, the 5Ks where paired with my Opera in my work office and I thought that they worked just fine together. My 702s have taken their place as my 5Ks are now at home doing time with the Yammy and Cayin.

With that said, I still prefer the 1Ks with my Yammy. The two were literally made for each other as Yamamoto Sound Craft provides the cups for the 1Ks.

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers,
Garry

Jan 19, 2009 at 12:40 PM Post #3 of 22
The W5000's have more tonal accuracy and are more refined, but also brighter. I thought of them as a little bass-shy, compared to the w1000's at least..

Jan 19, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #4 of 22
Haven't both you guys said exactly opposite things?
What I do like is the idea of tubes with this amp. Since AT = brightness (a bit) tubes should help bring out the mids a bit more and maybe get rid of that recessed nature...

GarryH thanks for that very descriptive err...description

Jan 19, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by electropop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The W5000's have more tonal accuracy and are more refined, but also brighter. I thought of them as a little bass-shy, compared to the w1000's at least..

Both are bass shy, but W5000 definitely go deeper! See my short impression
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f45/im...ml#post3956825

Jan 19, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #6 of 22
Hmm.. I didn't think the W1000's were shy from my GS Voyager, actually quite the opposite nor did i think of them as bright as ad2000's or w5000s. But yes, tubes do tend to bring the mids a bit forward. But again, highly dependent on the tubes and amp.

edit: By bright, I don't mean pronounced upper mids/treble.

Jan 19, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #7 of 22
So would you say the LD MK IV would be an apt match for the W5000?

Jan 19, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #8 of 22
They sound thin esp. both AD2k and W5k and these two's are thinner than W1k's.
smily_headphones1.gif

They weren't bass-shy too. just fast and deep with small quantity esp. W5k, and really fast bass response on AD2k.

It's just a charm of AT-woodie which has several tonality in each model and when you match with amp you will surprise how each works with any amps.
biggrin.gif

I used to love W1k before I got into W5k, and now I really in love with my W3000 which is almost the end of my journey for ATW.
L3000.gif

Jan 19, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #9 of 22
Oh, so you have the (Did you mean to say) L3000? *grumbles*

But yes, that's what i was looking for. The W1000's are fuller, and generally more forgiving and fun to listen to!

Not sure about the MKIV since it's usually better with high-impedance phones. I personally love my LDI+ with some grado's hooked up to them. The LDI+ is designed for low-impedance phones and i think would be better, at least with a good opamp+tube combo, for AT's in general. Would give them more punch at least.

A fellow finnish head-fier supposedly sold his MKIV SE after receiving his LDI+ and swapping some tubes for it. He has Grado RS-2s and RS-1s.. I think he settled with Sylvania Gold 408A's. I'll also be receiving a pair soon. And i would assume that w1000s hooked up to LDI+ with LT1364 opamp and some 408's would sound good.

Once i get the new tubes, I'll run to the store selling w1000s, borrow and try them out..

Jan 20, 2009 at 10:24 AM Post #11 of 22
^^So you're saying that LD amps will be good? BTW even grados are low impedance so wouldn't the same apply for a W5000? I'm talking about the finnish guy who has a MK IV and grados.

BTW what's so special about the L3000 if I may ask? Better than the W5000?

Also I'm looking at a dark voice amp called the 3322 as well. Any comments on DV's quality? Better than LD? As soon as I have the moolah will make a seperate thread for the amp; useless starting a thread when I'm cash shy but I'd still like to know.

Jan 20, 2009 at 12:15 PM Post #12 of 22
21.jpg

L3000 is the limited audio-technica headphone. The cup made by leather but technically it is wooden cup covered by leather. Not only famous by its limitation, but also its SQ is very great - very balanced tonality leaning toward the warm side and having excellent bass. With large quantity and excellent quality of bass, L3000 is considered to be one of the bass monster headphones (with some of other popular for this criteria such as Ultrasone ED9 and Grado PS1.)

W5000 has wide sound stage, thin sounding and possible bass-shy to someone, but L3000 is totally different - small sound stage (but very good in depth and height), full sounding, and bass heavy.

Jan 20, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #13 of 22
And my other query?

BTW a tentative query - please don't bash it. Is the W5000 going to bring a noticeable improvement to my music from the A900 as a step up the line? Because I love the closed AT sound.

Jan 20, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #14 of 22
If you like the closed ATH sound have you looked at the A1000X or A2000X? You might also want to consider the A900 Ti if you can get your hands on it, it's a nice upgrade from the A900.

Jan 20, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #15 of 22
The A900ti is that great? But what about the W5000? Is that not more of the same sound sig?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back