W1000 - the review of a headphone in a crowded market segment!
Aug 30, 2005 at 11:31 AM Post #31 of 36
Hey Elephas, glad to see you like them and I'm even a bit surprised you consider them since you own the AD2000. I'm not surprised the AD2000 have better detail and in a sence should be better all the way. It just demonstrates that the W1000 are very good for certain type of music and to certain type of people/taste.

I don't know this Lavry Blue DAC but I'll check it out. I've always had the opinion that the source was THE major contributor to sound quality.

Let me know if you pursue the W1000 further, I'm would be very curious to read your comments if you compare it directly against your AD2000 and DT880 with the same components which I could not do.

Cheers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
I heard the W1000 for the first time a couple days ago and was very impressed. I felt it sounded excellent and couldn't help grinning like an idiot.

It is darker sounding and seems less detailed than the AD2000.

One reason it sounded so good was because I was listening at a recording studio through a Lavry Blue DAC. The music was Era, one of my favorite artists.

At the time, I had the ATH-EC7, SuperMacro-3 and iPod with me. Listening to the same song on the two systems was an interesting experience.

I thought I had a preference for open to closed headphones. Hearing the W1000 changed my mind.

Aug 30, 2005 at 12:34 PM Post #32 of 36
I have an inner need to listen to memory lane vocals which for me includes the years 1950-1990. Frank Sinatra, Tom Jones, Beatles, Patsy Cline, ABBA, Statlers, Michael Bolton, Platters, ETC. In my opinion, these w1000 cans are absolutely magnificient with this small segment of today's market.

Mario (loft) is a prince for starting ths thread.

Aug 30, 2005 at 1:17 PM Post #33 of 36
Loft, based on my brief listening experience with the W1000, I don't consider the AD2000 to be better.

I only heard a few songs using the W1000 and was talking and standing in a recording studio with other people, but it was as good or better a listening experience than my home system.

This was probably due to the excellence of the source (Lavry Blue) as much as the W1000 itself.

My impression of the W1000 was dark creamy smoothness. It was very different than the AD2000, which is much brighter with higher treble energy and more forward-sounding. This could've been mistaken for greater detail by my inexperienced ears.

ken36, I also listen to 50-90's music. I enjoy a wide variety of music, which seems to be both a blessing and a curse.

Aug 31, 2005 at 11:37 AM Post #34 of 36
Thanks for this good and objective feedback. Are you starting to have a little weekness for the W1000
biggrin.gif
I'd be curious to read one of your famously objective confrontation and the DT880 would make a perfect candidate! haha

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
Loft, based on my brief listening experience with the W1000, I don't consider the AD2000 to be better.

I only heard a few songs using the W1000 and was talking and standing in a recording studio with other people, but it was as good or better a listening experience than my home system.

This was probably due to the excellence of the source (Lavry Blue) as much as the W1000 itself.

My impression of the W1000 was dark creamy smoothness. It was very different than the AD2000, which is much brighter with higher treble energy and more forward-sounding. This could've been mistaken for greater detail by my inexperienced ears.

ken36, I also listen to 50-90's music. I enjoy a wide variety of music, which seems to be both a blessing and a curse.

Sep 21, 2005 at 12:42 AM Post #35 of 36
OK, so I have a rather small head and am having trouble getting a tight enough fit with my new W1000s. They just don't fit well enough to keep the cups sealed around my ears. I'm finding the sound to be much better when I use my hands to tighten the cups against my ears. I don't have any trouble adjusting my HD650s or RS-1s for my small head, but I cannot figure out how to get a tighter fit with the W1000s. This is my first experience with the AT 'wings' and I'm bummed out with these at this point. Any suggestions from other small heads out there? Thanks.

Sep 21, 2005 at 1:32 AM Post #36 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by bowersj
OK, so I have a rather small head and am having trouble getting a tight enough fit with my new W1000s. They just don't fit well enough to keep the cups sealed around my ears. I'm finding the sound to be much better when I use my hands to tighten the cups against my ears. I don't have any trouble adjusting my HD650s or RS-1s for my small head, but I cannot figure out how to get a tighter fit with the W1000s. This is my first experience with the AT 'wings' and I'm bummed out with these at this point. Any suggestions from other small heads out there? Thanks.

Hi bowersj,

Have you tried wear a hat/beanie (woolie hat) and see if they fit? or maybe try to tilt the headband slightly towards the back of your head? PM me if you have no joy.

Overlunge

Users who are viewing this thread

Back