W1000 pics and a few (fresh) impressions
Jan 13, 2003 at 9:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

JensL

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all!

Just got a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-W1000 delivered from Audiocubes today! They actually sneaked through customs too, which is no minor feat as in Norway the customs TIGHT about these things. Kudos to Audiocubes that wrote everything I told them on the package.

Anyways, the W1000 look great, so I whipped out the digicams,
and took a few snapshots. A few closeups too.

The phones are still burning in, while sitting on my head...
And out of the box they sound great!
They're quite different from my Beyer DT831's,
but the 831's are very good phones.

I wont say more now, it's only fair to let them burn in first.

They are extremely comfortable, but so are the 831's.
The leatherlike pads are very soft and doesn't get warmer than the Beyers.
The pads will rest on your ears unless you've got fairly small ears,
but this doesn't matter since the pads are so soft.

Hope you like the photos, just let me know if there's anything you'd like me to take a picture of, I'll post it here.

Oh...did I mention that they look great...?
tongue.gif

Jan 13, 2003 at 9:46 PM Post #5 of 12
Jens,

congradulations. hope you fall in love with the woodies.
biggrin.gif

the pads look exactly like the ones on the W2002 woodies.

as I know what the W2002 sounds like, I think I have a fair idea of how you are going to compare the two. ha. ha. the ATH energy is something to behold, isn't it? but, personally, i prefer the sweetness of my dt831s. wait till you start intimately comparing them, you lucky dog. i hope you throw everything at them. i'll be anxiously awaiting your review. make it a bang-up job.

Jan 15, 2003 at 3:01 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
Jens,
as I know what the W2002 sounds like, I think I have a fair idea of how you are going to compare the two. ha. ha.

Don't be presumin' until you be listenin'.
wink.gif

Jan 15, 2003 at 3:15 AM Post #7 of 12
JensL
HI: Congrats on your new W1000. My A1000 only needed a 20 hour burn in and then was just great. I guess as I use them the might still be burning in but I can't tell. After 20 hours they just amazed me.

Jan 15, 2003 at 4:35 AM Post #8 of 12
Bangraman,

I have tried on more than one occasion to get RVD and Pikawel together to do a head to head comparison. Unfortunately it hasn't happened. Pikawel has the A1000, so the W1000 is probably a different beast. I really like the W2002, just find fault with bass extention, comfort, and a slight vocal irregularity. But to me that is part of the ATH sound - ENERGY! When it comes to acoustic guitar, only my K1000 beats it. I swear I can almost hear the W1000
biggrin.gif
But it's all imagination (wishing) and I would love to spend a week with them.

So many headphones and so little time.

Jens,

just please don't tell me that country female vocalists sound scratchy or raspy. on the W2002 country male vocalists sound really nice. (why do i choose country music? - because I perceive a lot less studio mixing, you know where they bump up the bass or push the treble up to unenjoyable levels. country vocal recordings just sound more airey and natural over the Britney Spears / Madonna / Aguillara type recordings.)

Jan 15, 2003 at 8:13 AM Post #9 of 12
I agree with LTUCCI1924. The W1000 needs about 20 hours of break-in, then sounds great. I do think the improvement continues for awhile beyond that time.

They were quite nice right out of the box. But they definitely sounded better after running in for a couple of days.

Jan 15, 2003 at 12:54 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
Pikawel has the A1000, so the W1000 is probably a different beast.

Did you read Kevin's comparison of the two? He couldn't discern any difference so he sold or is selling the A1000. I would say this is pretty good evidence that the two are far more similar than most people originally thought.

Jan 15, 2003 at 7:19 PM Post #12 of 12
elnero,

I read his review, and am hoping, as J-Curve's response curves show, that they are slightly different. of course there is the problem of headphone uniqueness (where each one will sound different but still within engineering parameters), difference of burn in, difference of enclosure volume, different microphone placement, pads, fit, and finish (wood enclosure vs metal enclosure modifying acoustics), different "start of life" materials (where the components are different due to casting and age, ie. "runs"), etc. of course with a small run of headphones (less than 3000 units), chances are that all the parts will be from the same batch, or batches, of parts. i would not expect a senn hd600 from 1970 to sound the same as one from 2020, unless they stockpiled the parts in a controlled environment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back