W1000=Frustration
Sep 17, 2004 at 7:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

tuatara

500+ Head-Fier
I've had the ATs for nearly a month now and they're proving to be rewarding, daming, frustrating experience.
There are moments of bliss and moments when I consider selling them.

For: Fit, finish, comfort. Clarity of sound, retrevival of detail, control of bass.

Against: Lack of bass, gets an echo at higher volumes on some recordings, gets a harshness/edge to the treble especially vocals on some recordings.

There are some recordings I dont enjoy using these phones with and others where they shine. I've just spent some hours at a friends house using different sources (naim cdp and Linn lp) and his conclusions echo mine, in the end we both preffered the sr225s(yes I know, Grado colouration and all that but they had a more even balance on all recordings)

At the moment I'm trying a change and rather than running the SXH1 direct from my Arcam cdp I'm now routing it through my Rotel 1070 pre and using the contour control backed one notch to cut the higher signal slightly and after a quick listen it sounds better so far.
My friend was of the opinion tha the W1000s would shine more with better sources than we could offer, but i'm unsure on that theory and feel maybe the phones are too limited by their design and closed nature.

What to do now? On monday I'll probably place an order for another set of headphones, at this stage it's between the MS2, MS pro and RS1 and that's a tough decision in its self. As to whether I sell or keep the ATs , that's a decision I'm not going to rush into.
At sometime in the future I could end up with a system where they shine or perhaps use them in conjuction with my favourite tuning device, a couple of large brandies.

Sep 17, 2004 at 8:13 PM Post #2 of 16
I can't comment on your phones, as I've never heard them (think they look absolutely beautiful, though), but as for your friend's concern about the sources you were using to test the phones: you can't get much better sources than a Naim CDP and a Linn LP-12. I really don't think you guys were scrimping there. What about your headphone amp? Is it known to have a bright or harsh quality? Maybe a comparison with a tube headphone amp would answer some of your questions.

Sep 17, 2004 at 8:15 PM Post #3 of 16
Get rid of them and be glad you did. Grados are a nice choice btw.

Biggie.

Sep 17, 2004 at 8:22 PM Post #5 of 16
I briefly auditioned the W1000's and the MSPro's at a dealer, and the impression I came away with after ~1hr of listening between the two was that the MSPro had a richer, fuller sound than the W1000's. The W1000's sounded a bit thin up top, and did not have the same foot-tappin' "groove" that the MSPro's did. I bought the MSPro's that day, and have thoroughly enjoyed them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 17, 2004 at 8:30 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by sc53
I can't comment on your phones, as I've never heard them (think they look absolutely beautiful, though), but as for your friend's concern about the sources you were using to test the phones: you can't get much better sources than a Naim CDP and a Linn LP-12. I really don't think you guys were scrimping there. What about your headphone amp? Is it known to have a bright or harsh quality? Maybe a comparison with a tube headphone amp would answer some of your questions.

We were using my SXH1 and a Xcans. The grado sr225s sound great with both, maybe a bit more bass with the xcans(using non standard valves, but dont know which ones)

Sep 17, 2004 at 8:32 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by NKT
I briefly auditioned the W1000's and the MSPro's at a dealer, and the impression I came away with after ~1hr of listening between the two was that the MSPro had a richer, fuller sound than the W1000's. The W1000's sounded a bit thin up top, and did not have the same foot-tappin' "groove" that the MSPro's did. I bought the MSPro's that day, and have thoroughly enjoyed them.
smily_headphones1.gif

After alot of reading and reseach I'm leaning towards the MS pros, not possible in my part of the world to audition anything reasonable in headphones so like the W1000s it'll be a leap into the unknown.

Sep 17, 2004 at 8:45 PM Post #9 of 16
MSPros rock.
rs1smile.gif

FWIW, that day I found I preferred the MSPro's over the RS-1, W1000, and HD650, in that order. Good luck in your quest.
tongue.gif

Sep 17, 2004 at 9:46 PM Post #10 of 16
Connected my gear back up this morning and had another listen to the AT with a Blue Men cd i'd been lent(heaps of precussion,bass etc) and the Ats sounded good, very good..Lots of dynamics and impact..everything I could wish for. I noticed last night at my friends we had the volume set around 10 on the SXH1 which is way higher than I usually have it, today with the volume at about 8 oclock it has everything that was missing last night.

The Naim cdp is certainly better than my Arcam, so maybe it was the stringbean interconnect we used as I forgot to take my own.

More puzzled than ever now, still leaning towards a set of Alessandros anyway but the W1000 may yet get a stay of execution.

Sep 17, 2004 at 10:07 PM Post #11 of 16
I have yet to hear a pair of Audio-Technica headphones that didn't sound Mid-Fi, they may look hi-fi, but they are not. Yes, I have heard all the top models that you can still buy. I hated the way they all sounded, but they all were some of the best headphones I ever saw, too bad they sound so cheap. Reminds me of B&O. Basically with Audio-Technica you are paying for great looks not great sound.

Sep 17, 2004 at 10:12 PM Post #12 of 16
the ms-2 doesn't echo at all. it's an open can so basically there's not much there for the sound to bounce off of lol. but coming from the W1000 prepared for the open sound - noise in and noise out! i wish i could hear the W1000, but just as a natural characteristic of the build of closed cans, it sounds like you might be a good candidate for an open 'phone.

Sep 17, 2004 at 10:30 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
Get rid of them and be glad you did. Grados are a nice choice btw.

Biggie.

Gonna have to agree here. While my SR-80's definitely do their best with rock, I never get tried of listening to any other completely random genres on them.

Sep 17, 2004 at 10:39 PM Post #14 of 16
I found the W1000 to be more or less exactly how you describe. From the amps I had at the time, it was pretty unbeatable for 'early music' (baroque, etc) and certain types of contemporary music, but it lacked presence with orchestral classical music and also it was the last phones I'd look at for rock.

A 'traditional tube bloom' however does get rid of a lot of the objectionable factors arising from what you mentioned, and the phone will retain a higher degree of technical capability than many of around the same price while becoming a little more agreeable. Still, I say switch to the CD3000 if you're looking for an 'all-rounder'.

Sep 17, 2004 at 10:50 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
the ms-2 doesn't echo at all. it's an open can so basically there's not much there for the sound to bounce off of lol. but coming from the W1000 prepared for the open sound - noise in and noise out! i wish i could hear the W1000, but just as a natural characteristic of the build of closed cans, it sounds like you might be a good candidate for an open 'phone.

I've been a sr225 owner for about 4 years, love them and wouldn't part with them which is why i'm looking at an upgrade path with the Alessandros.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back