W100 against world's best headphones!
Mar 20, 2002 at 6:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Vka

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, after close to 300 hours of break in I feel the W100s are ready to do battle with the best of dynamic and electrostatics. Just to note, they have improved tremendously due to the break in.
In one corner, we have DCT-1 + HP-1000
In other corner, we have the Orpheus
How does W100 compare to the 2 greats?
I will have a detailed small review by the end of the week talking about treble, midrange, bass, soundstage and etc.
But here is a small summary for now....
Its a good headphone and the price is really good since it compares well with other great headphones like CD-3000, HD-600, and RS-1. However, against, the bests (Big O and HP-1000), its just not in the same league. I did many tests with my female friend who supposedly has better ear than me and we both uninamously agree W100 although good is a step down from the two reference setup we auditioned with.
So if I were to use number grades in "RESPECT" to the reference systems.
If Orpheus gets a 10, DCT-1 + HP-1000 would get a 8.5-9.5 and DCT-1 + W100 would get a 6.5-7.5.
Anyways, do not take my words seriously as of course its ONLY my opinion and I have a biased amp which sounds especially GOOD with grados.

Mar 20, 2002 at 6:24 PM Post #2 of 7
Mmmmmmmm.......very interesting. I'm anxious to read your review, Vka, as I'm still on the fence regarding getting the W100s. Your review will hopefully push me off......one way or the other. Judging by your brief comments, however, I'm afraid I know which side of the fence I'll be on.
wink.gif

Mar 20, 2002 at 7:29 PM Post #3 of 7
joe, you ALWAYS end up on that side of the fence!
tongue.gif

Vka, how specifically is the DCT optimized for Grados? All Grados, or just the HP-1000? And are all DCTs optimized like that?

Mar 21, 2002 at 12:31 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Just to note, they have improved tremendously due to the break in.

Vka,
I thought they would. Does KShaft still own your pair? He'll be glad to hear this.

The inevitable, no: the eternal AT question remains, though.
biggrin.gif
Can there ever be enough break-in for a wooden headphone? Come on, Vka, 300 hours, that's nothing.
wink.gif

Mar 21, 2002 at 2:54 AM Post #7 of 7
does the dct-1 sound great with hd600s as well? I was looking into picking up a tube amp, and I already own the RS-1s and it would be great if I would not have to go with the HD600s just because I went tube
smily_headphones1.gif

One more thing...can it be used as an integrated? a pre? anything else besides a tube hp amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back