VS1053 Simple 'MP3' Player?
Mar 25, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #16 of 21
Hrm, I thought there was already an open source rockbox player in the works, but I couldn't find it.
Using an 454Mhz ARM9. hrm.

I wonder why they chose such a ridiculous chip.

Mar 25, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #17 of 21

Quote:
edit: ok, so after hanging out in #rockbox on freenode for a bit, it looks like using rockbox with the hardware decoder would be more trouble than its worth. Rockbox does all its decoding in software which, apparently, is what gives it such a large library of supported formats. So, I guess the first thing I'd (we'd?) need to decide is which route do we want to take: use the hardware decoder and build everything (including the software music player) from scratch, or scrap the hardware decoder and find the cheapest processor that we can to run rockbox on. <to be continued, I gotta go>

I don't really understand how that'd be any trouble.
You'd simply need to stream it over to the IC instead of decoding it via software..
"MP3 / AAC / WMA / FLAC / MIDI"
I don't need any more than that.

On the other hand, if they are already making the another project, it'd be easier to support it instead.
They just might need a nudge in the right direction.

Mar 25, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #18 of 21
The project you're referring is today known as the lyre project (I think I referenced it earlier in this thread). My understanding is that its a dead project and didn't really do all that much, though they did have a functional player at the end of the day. As for the hardware decoder thing, I think you'd have to re-write some of the rockbox code: I mean, right now it does "Read file --> decode file --> send output via I2S". We're talking about inserting our thing right in the middle.

ezziey

Mar 25, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #19 of 21
http://bifferos.bizhat.com/ zowwy look at that thing! put mpd on it and control it with an arduino. Done!

ezziey

May 27, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #20 of 21
I know this is a little bit of an older thread, but I just started work at Cirrus Logic (makes high quality audio ICs) and was interested in building a custom MP3 player with high quality components that may meet your desires as well. I know quite a bit on the electrical/circuits side, but would appreciate any and all help, especially the hifi end of it. Let me know if anyone is still interested and we can start discussing further ideas. Initially I was thinking of using either an MSP430, PIC, or Arduino for the microcontroller, reading data off an SD card through SPI, and sending it to the VS1053 to a Cirrus Logic high quality DAC (either http://www.cirrus.com/en/products/pro/detail/P29.html or http://www.cirrus.com/en/products/pro/detail/P1043.html). Then either using the VS1053's driver for headphones or including another Cirrus amplifier on the line out from the DAC.

Cory

Oct 17, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #21 of 21
Resurrecting this thread again after a long stint away from headfi...you still interested in working on this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back