VPI upgraded anti-skate for Classic .....seen reviews ???
Jun 10, 2011 at 6:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

lolo

New Head-Fier
There is a new upgraded, or more accurately said, fixed anti-skate device, made by VPI, for the 10.5i tonearm used in their Classic series.  It's not on VPI's current "Retail Price Sheet" dated Oct. 2010.  It's baby brand new but I stumbled upon it here:

http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HW-JMW1015B

Has anyone used it or heard anything about it?  Please feel free to pass along rumors here.  I can't find anything, anywhere, about it except a product description.  My dealer can order it from VPI but doesn't know if it's really new and improved.

I'm wondering if the VPI Scout or Aries or HR-X owners have problems with, or have read advice to simply not use, their anti-skate device.

Thanks for your help.

Jun 11, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #2 of 8
Is this different than the mechanical anti-skate that comes with the Classic? Mine came with one of these - I never installed it, and went with VPI's "wire twist" method - but I still have it.

Jun 11, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #3 of 8
Yes.  It's a different one, depending on when you ordered your Classic.  It's still a mechanical anti-skate.  But they were having difficulties with the original a.-s.  I read a bit from Harry Weisfeld, the head kahuna at VPI; he recommended against using their a.-s. device.  The following is an excerpt taken from the product description from the link I gave in my first post:  "VPI has conducted careful listening tests and determined that every tonearm they tried sounded better with its mechanical anti-skating disabled and the tracking force very slightly increased."  I don't like the idea of unnecessarily increasing the VTF.  That's not ideal for either the stylus or the records.

This "VPI JMW 10.5i TONEARM ANTI-SKATE UPGRADE" apparently came out sometime after Oct. 2010.

My dealer plans to call VPI to find out exactly what changes have been made.  I'll pass on to you what he finds out.
He's tremendously skilled at turntable set-up but said the old anti-skate had to be installed to within a knats nano-hair for it to even seat properly.  He has not worked with the upgraded one yet.

Questions for you, Jerico:  1.)  When did you order your Classic?  2.)  Did you or your dealer specifically order/add on an anti-skate device from VPI?  You may have to ask him/her.  It's not clear to me whether or not it's standard/stock for them to include an a.-s. w/ every Classic delivered.  It's kind of important to me because the upgraded one costs $100; it's also $100 if you simply order the original one separately off their replacement/accessory parts list.  If an a.-s. automatically comes w/ each table delivered from the factory, I can probably substitute out for the upgrade at no $100 additional cost.  3.)  Tell me about this "wire twist" I've been reading about.  Which wire?  What's the deal on that?

And thank you for your help, too.

Jun 12, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #4 of 8
Hi Lo
My Classic is about a year old now, purchased new at the time. I did not order anything specifically extra - it came with the mechanical AS thingamajig. The instructions said to give the tonearm wire - the one coming from the tonearm itself out into the box where the RCA connectors are - an extra twis, if one didn't wan to use the ASt. I did that - I never even tried fitting the AS mechanism that came with my TT. I can't say if this is better or worse than using the actual AS, but I dig the way my rig sounds. If you get this unit, I'd love to know how you find it!

Jun 12, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #5 of 8
Hey Jerico.  Ya' see...my dealer thought VPI did not include the AS unless one ordered it.  I just e-mailed VPI customer service to get the skinny.  Would it be in the least bit convenient for you to either double check with your dealer to see if he simply ordered the AS skate for you, or, if your invoice is still handy, would you mind taking a peak at it to check that out?  I'm trying to clear up the contradicting info.
Muchisimos gracias !..........Lori

Jun 12, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #6 of 8
Hi again Lori -

I got the TT from MusicDirect (online order) - the invoice is no longer online, but I took a look at the instruction manual, on page 6 there is a section on anti-skate. After the section about the "wire twist", it says "If additional anti-skate is needed you can go to the mechanical anti-skate supplied."

Also, on the VPI website...

http://www.vpiindustries.com/static.php?page=table_classic

... it says "Tonearm anti-skate - For those that require the fine adjustment of anti-skate, it is standard on the JMW-10.5i SE." It doesn't look like you need to drop $100 on it as an extra!

Jun 12, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #7 of 8
Thank you for checking that out for me.  I suppose I should'a reviewed the original product description on VPI's website, eh?  Well as it stands, my friend is going to make sure the upgraded version is sent in place of the original...and we'll take it from there.  I'm wondering if my dealer, who will be setting-up the table, will assess it to be different and better, or what he'll find.  I will try to remember to let you know just as an FYI.  It sounds like you've got a good thing going as it is.  BTW, in your manual, did the wire twist section mention anything about slightly increasing the tracking force?

I'm looking forward to hearing what my buddy's Dynavector Karat 17D3 will do with the Classic.  Mind you, I've never heard the Classic so I'll not have any cartridge to A/B it with...but still...

Jun 12, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #8 of 8
Actually the quote you have in your earlier post is right from manual. Here's the full text from the anti-skate section:

Setting the Anti-Skating – Two Solutions
Anti-skating is one of the least understood forces acting on a tonearm. Skating force is created by friction between the stylus and the record, causing a force vector in a direction towards the center of the record when the headshell of the tonearm has an offset angle. Putting a stylus down on a flat, groove less record will cause the arm to move toward the center of the record. Arm manufacturers have tried to compensate for this force, but that is impossible because the force is constantly changing as the music and velocity change.

VPI has conducted careful listening tests and determined that every tonearm we tried sounded better with its mechanical anti-skating disabled and the tracking force very slightly increased..
VPI has a unique solution to anti-skating: the coiled wire of the JMW Classic Tonearm acts as a spring and pushes the arm back without affecting the sound quality. You have the option of using the mechanical anti-skate for those that want to but we feel it is really not needed.
•Adjust the counterweight so there is no down force on the cartridge. •Swing the tonearm toward the spindle and release it. The arm should swing
out toward the outer edge of the turntable.
If you try adjusting the anti-skate with a groove less record, you will ruin the twist in the tonearm wire and void your warranty. Do this with the mechanical anti- skate if you want that much anti-skate.
• If additional anti-skate is needed you can go to the mechanical anti-skate supplied.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back