VPI Scout: JMW 9 setup question
May 21, 2006 at 9:57 PM Post #16 of 23
I honestly think all you need to do is lift the tonearm rest by loosening S1 in your picture and pulling it up. As you can see on Todd's this rest is generally much higher than yours.

May 21, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #18 of 23
The Dynavector cartridge works very well with the JMW-9. Just adjust the tonearm rest to see if your problems go away.

May 21, 2006 at 10:20 PM Post #20 of 23
Looks right to me. Now just set the tracking force and VTA and you will be good to go. Also make sure you level the turntable with a level by adjusting the feet.

May 21, 2006 at 10:41 PM Post #21 of 23
My VPI manual states in order to adjust the arm height to set the tracking force, loosen the setscrews on the base of the arm assembly and turn the adjustement wheel. Which screws are thoses?

Ves

May 21, 2006 at 10:53 PM Post #22 of 23
You are talking about two different things there. The VTA is adjusted by loosening the set screws on the base, one on the side (S5) and one on the rear not pictured in your pic. The you turn the disc you can see between S3 and S5 that sets on the threaded rod. This is used to change the angle in which the cartridge addresses the vinyl. The Dynavector likes to have the VTA set so that the rear of the cartridge is slightly higher than the front but common practice is to level the cartridge from front to back. The tracking force is adjusted using the counterbalance the shiny circular weight on the back of the tonearm. You loosen the set screw on the top of that weight and move it forward or backward until the tracking force is proper, between 1.7 and 2.0 grams with your cartridge I believe. You really need a tracking force guage to measure this properly. Maybe you can get the 25 dollar Shure guage. It should work fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back