Voyager and Arrow a small review
Oct 28, 2011 at 12:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ANDEROAN

500+ Head-Fier
confessions of a bass head, blood type BH, lol!

well I finally got my hands on a Headstage Arrow 2.2g, that I've been wanting for some time, and especially the 2.2g, for its 0/65/110 impedence output resisitors, and one came up for sale in the sales forum!! Thanks DT,

the short and long of it?

I thought I'd share what I discovered? a small review/comparison/discovery/adventure in soundland! not to dig up and rake over a dinasour like the Voyager, but she being the only other amp, besides the newly acquired wonderful and awesome Arrow, that I've ever owned! and there's the nut shell! 

just my lurkring stumble bums .04 worth pov, lol, in my perfect ignorance I've found perfect bliss, I've learned just enough to make me happy, now only if I can quit coming here, lol, nope too late, IEMs here I come,

well I gave a run or 2 at it, and although it does sound pretty darn nice, in the end it just really didn't stand up to my brick of an amp the GS Voyager, they are very close in sounding great, and the Arrow has very good bass, and treble, and I loved all the options that it has to offer, and it did really help cool down the sibilant and overly bright high end of the Sony EX600s! and to the point where I didn't have to use my 7th gen iPod classics EQ. anymore, yipee! YEESS some very nice clearity! and a very open sound! 

and I also paired my ZO up with the Arrow, for ****s and giggles, and jesus does it ever give the music a whallop, ka-sweet! just as it does when I run it along with the Voyager!! and the ZO doesn't muddy up, overpower or cloud the music up, with either amp while using the Sony EX600s, them things can really take it ALL, and give back some great clear clean sounding instrument placement, and seperation! freakishly deep thumping bass, and a very sparkly and sometimes sibilant treble, I would love to try out its big brother and cousin, the EX1000, or the MDR-7550, maybe after I sell the Arrow?

but with the Arrow and the ZO combo I turn the gain to 1 or 2, lol, yes I usually had it on 3, sweetness it is, and the bass down to 0 or 1 also! when I wasn't running the ZO along with the Arrow I usually had everything maxed, crossover on 2, but I never really noticed any diference no hard panned beatles tunes, the bass was usually on 2, the gain on 2 sometimes up to 3, and depending on if I was using the iPods EQ. if not I had the 2.2g IMP. usually set on 2, or 1 to help out with the sibilant and sometime harsh treble,

but with the 2 amps, and then again with or without the ZO in tow, I was getting alot of similair sound from each of them the only real bigger and foot tapping diference I found was in the soundstaging, its extension going more so to the Voayger and also the Voayger having somewhat of a 3D effect!!!! so I guess that I'm just a spoiled bass head, of which now I won't take for granted, in having my very nice Voyagers ss! 

the Arrow has a great soundstage! it just doesn't extend as far as the Voyagers, and after listening to the Arrow, I can now hear just how 3d the Voyagers soundstage really is!! the Arrow puts everything out there, above and to the sides of me, but the Voyager puts it out a little further and then puts things in the front and then also behind me, and then off to the sides while also being put in the front and also to the behind of me!! alot more 3D soundwise, I would like to say 4D, but you really can't smell music? go figure, oh well maybe in the future, lol

but the Voyager has me looking around to see where in the hell things are coming from, its kind of a little bit freaky, at the least it makes me feel stupid and selfconcious when I duck or jump, and nothing is there?? cuz I just heard a car or a bike noise or something coming up from behind me in a song, LOL, thanks for the adrenanline rush Graham! yea real funny! not, well actually yes it kinda is, 

well I don't really think I'll find something that matches the sound that I'm awesomely happy with, well maybe at least a new set of IEMs, sooner than later, ggrrr!!

and here are some pics of the baby BRICK Voyager that I happily lug around!! awe ain't she cute, goochie goochie goo!

Oct 28, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #3 of 9
well not really, I liked the Arrows sound alot! very clear and clean, more neutral, and with all of its versatility it makes for a very nice amp! 

but I'm a soundstage whore now, and that added extra little bit of an edge that Voyager gives in the soundstaging is making a big difference in what I'm hearing, the little bit more of an extension, and then quiet a bit more dimensional sounding, circumnumerating, or it's more so that I'm encirced by the sound,

the Voyagers sound is VERY colored, more tube like, and also very addictive! it does a very nice job with the bottom end, and with its flat setting, it has alot of detaIls amd sparkle to it, the Arrow does also and in spades, but add the more 3 dimensional soundstage effect that the Voyager brings to the table and wallah! and then also add the ZO into the equasion, it also extends the soundstage even further still, and so I wind up getting holy sh!t azzed killar sound!!!

if the Arrow had the same kind of soundstage like the Voyager has, hands down I would be selling off my Voyager no question, or if I had never heard the Voyager amp, I would be tickled pink with the Arrow 1000%, we don't miss what we never heard, except the leckerton is sounding good from where I'm standing, ugh! I'm missing it and I haven't even heard it, lol, so quick someone buy my Arrow amp so I can NOT do what what I souldn't do, lol, I need to leave my bliss alone, yea right, not!

just like I'm certain there are alot better sounding rigs to be had out there, but I won't miss what I haven't heard, still have to learn how to quit reading though! and so with almost perfect ingnorance comes perfect bliss
tongue.gif
! and as I have nnooo desire what so ever to conquer the world of Hi-Fi, and discover all thats available, ugh! other than to learn what I need to and then try to get OUT! yea right, lol, the best laid plans of mice and more mice! must escape gravitational pulls, i.e. reviews and appreciation threads, yikes!

must initiate self banning mode, aarrggg!! let me see that was shift/control/alt/ then F5?

little did I know that I was in trouble the moment I signed up for my Head-Fi membership, I'm an IEM wearing/card carrying member, we wear our memberships on our SOULS, once you start hanging out here WE ARE ALL DOOMED, and such a lovely way to go, ggrrrreat!!

Nov 4, 2011 at 8:21 AM Post #5 of 9
hey feliks

can you share your comparisons/experiences in a little more detail? i.e. soundstage, bass impact, or anything else that you experienced or that comes to mind between the 3 of them, the Arrow, Voyager and the Pico that you've owned, 

the pico is of great inerest, along with the TTVJ, the Pico more so because of the volume control/attinuator that it has, not only is it a volume controler but also increases impact? or something like that,

thanks for your input

Nov 4, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #7 of 9
Hey Feliks

thats cool, no need, I understand completely, anyway you've pretty much said all that there is to say,

"the Pico Slim beats them both . " 

the best review I've ever heard, very succinct and to the point,

the only thing left for me to do is to get off the fence and buy one, and find out for myself what I already know, that it will ROCK!!! I can research the amps/water all I want, but nothing compares to just jumping in and trying it out for myself!

thanks Feliks, you've helped me out tremedously!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back