VOX: Mac OSX Music Player
Oct 26, 2014 at 4:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 101

kimvictor

Headphoneus Supremus
VOX: Mac OSX Music Player
About the Reviewer, Other Reviews

There are lots of audiophiles using Macs. I always found this ironic, as iTunes lacks audiophile features that other Windows OS players(ex.foobar2000) had. There certainly are other softwares for music playback, but all of them were heavy and laggy, not to mention the cost and the not so user-friendly UI.

I’ve used Macs for about 5 years now(13in Macbook Pro, 11in Macbook Air, and now a 13in Macbook Air). After about 5 years of searching, I think I concluded on a “perfect music player” for Mac.

I hereby introduce Vox! Vox is a fairly new music player, created around 2012 or 2013. This year, Vox had a major update, and the new interface and features are shockingly awesome. Here are reasons why you should use Vox if you have a Mac.

Developer Website: http://coppertino.com/

So...here are reasons why you should use Vox:

1. Awesome UI

Simplistic and Elegant. Vox has some of the best designs I’ve ever seen.

2. Audiophile Format Support
It supports just about any file you can think of. Flac, MP3, Apple Lossless, whatever. You name it, and Vox will support it.

3. Features

Media Control(menubar)                                                   Remote Support

Simple EQ, and more importantly, the ability to choose different output source. This also means that you can just listen to music on a specific output(which is a bit different from using MIDI Setup). For example, when you are browsing online, you can have the Mac output set to built in speakers and mute it, and have Vox output to your DAC, and only your music will be played through your headphones. Vox will even automatically adjust the output sample rate to match that of the audio file being played. There is also handful of fancy features, such as remote support and even BS2B presets like Chu Moy. There’s also a radio feature, if you make a small donation to the makers of Vox. However, there are more serious audiophile features, which is featured in part 4.

4. Audio Unit(Apple’s AU)
Vox Supports AU! Although created by apple, these features are not accessible in iTunes, and these are some serious features. These features are accessible through: View-Audio Units.

Come on. How often do you see these kind of features? I don’t even know what 1/3 of the features are. 31 band graphic EQ and highly customizable options. What more could you ask for from such an elegant player?

Final Remarks:
I was always irritated as some heavy PC-fiers would drop hundreds of dollars for minor improvements(like cables), but would use iTunes or other crappy third party players. Certain players, like Vox, could cause a huge improvement in sound quality, depending on how you use them. Cheers to Coppertino, the developer of Vox. Vox can be downloaded from the App Store for free(but I highly recommend donating). Feel free to ask any questions about Vox(I’ve been using Vox for couple month’s now).

Oct 26, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #2 of 101
Nice advert! Still, in a straight back-to-back session I'm afraid JRiver is superior. Vox does look nice though, I'll give you that.

Oct 26, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #4 of 101
I personally prefer the ease of use of Vox over J river. Also, Vox is free! As a light weight audio player, Vox is perfect for me.

Jriver is also my choice.  The only other player for Mac that works good with libraries over 2tb or 200,000 tracks is Swinsian.  If you have to use iTunes with another player, forget it.  Vox would not work for me.

Oct 26, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #8 of 101
Jriver is also my choice.  The only other player for Mac that works good with libraries over 2tb or 200,000 tracks is Swinsian.  If you have to use iTunes with another player, forget it.  Vox would not work for me.

I've never heard of Swinsian until now. I'll download the trial & see how it goes. Good shout.

Oct 26, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #9 of 101
Actually, I do see why people might root for other players. I usually keep a fairly small library, with about 30 albums or so, which is easily manageable with Vox. If you have over 50albums, Vox might not be the best way to sort out your library.

Oct 26, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #10 of 101
Swinsian is great because you can search for duplicates and remove them easily.  Swinsian also does DSD.   Jriver is great for its customizable themes and sounds perhaps a little better than Swinsian.

Oct 27, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #11 of 101
Actually, I do see why people might root for other players. I usually keep a fairly small library, with about 30 albums or so, which is easily manageable with Vox. If you have over 50albums, Vox might not be the best way to sort out your library.

I have around 7000 albums so managing that is important but I do like Vox, if only it had a folder tree view.

Swinsian is great because you can search for duplicates and remove them easily.  Swinsian also does DSD.   Jriver is great for its customizable themes and sounds perhaps a little better than Swinsian.

Speaking of which, I see Swinsian doesn't have a tree view either. That's a fail. That's my main reason for using JRiver. It also sounds better than everything else I've tried thus far, although I have no idea why. Surely bit perfect is as good as it can get?

Oct 27, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #12 of 101
I emailed Swinsian to see if they're ever likely to include a folder view and the reply was No. What's so difficult about implementing this feature?

On a side note I've spent the last two hours comparing the sound of Vox, Swinsian & JRiver and JRiver wins hands down. It was a blind test performed by myself and a friend, all effects off and using 'hog mode' where offered. There was pretty much no difference between Vox & Swinsian with both delivering a flat, dark sound. JRiver sounded just a wee bit brighter overall. Again, why this should be the case I have no idea.

The big plus for me though is that JRiver accepts VST plug-ins which allows me to use GlissEQ, a terrific plug-in for those bright, anaemic recordings made in the 80's. If JRiver's interface fitted better with the Mac norm I'd be over the moon. As it is it looks plain ugly. Both Vox & Swinsian are ahead in the looks department.

Oct 27, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #13 of 101
I emailed Swinsian to see if they're ever likely to include a folder view and the reply was No. What's so difficult about implementing this feature?

On a side note I've spent the last two hours comparing the sound of Vox, Swinsian & JRiver and JRiver wins hands down. It was a blind test performed by myself and a friend, all effects off and using 'hog mode' where offered. There was pretty much no difference between Vox & Swinsian with both delivering a flat, dark sound. JRiver sounded just a wee bit brighter overall. Again, why this should be the case I have no idea.

The big plus for me though is that JRiver accepts VST plug-ins which allows me to use GlissEQ, a terrific plug-in for those bright, anaemic recordings made in the 80's. If JRiver's interface fitted better with the Mac norm I'd be over the moon. As it is it looks plain ugly. Both Vox & Swinsian are ahead in the looks department.

Interesting. So the players sound different, even with all the EQ and effects off? I'll give JRiver another shot, and see if it does sound different.

Oct 27, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #14 of 101
popcorn.gif

I'll try this good lookin interface, vox! if theres something i dislike i'll post. 
I'm looking forward to know you opinion about jriver audio quality, i've use it in windows about an year.
i listen on a Fiio E17 and a shenn hd25-13 (600ohm). 

Dec 26, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #15 of 101

Very recently I found VOX 2.4 (build 2400.112 12/16/2014) plays DSD files now!  Tried it with various .dff and .dsf audio files, played them all without issues.  Not bad for freeware IMHO.  

Then there is this posted on their web site and twitter 12/12

Something new is coming… Be ready to dive into infinity! *from VOX developers http://coppertino.com/vox/infinity 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back