Vote the best amp for HD 650
Oct 9, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #17 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No Zana Deux, Woo, SP or RSA?

Absent.

Since it is in another price range I did not mention, but yes, one vote for Zana Deux
smile.gif

Oct 10, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #19 of 51
Another vote for the DV332. That is... if you can find one. I believe Audiophilechina will have them come November though.

Oct 10, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #20 of 51
These are the amps that will or would be avaliabe at "jaben". The music fidelity i doubt he has, I have to go check maybe he can do a special order for me. But he's bringing in the darkvoice really soon. I like tubes as to mosfets as i tried the novo against the little country and the tubes in the little country made it sound better. Budget is around $1K Singapore dollars.

Oct 10, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #21 of 51
Don't count out tube amps..they can be voiced all over the map from almost sounding like a SS to the other end of the spectrum. The same can be said of SS but to a smaller degree.

DV3322, DV336SE, LD MKVI, LD MK IVSE, DV337SE, DV337,DV332 are all solid choices for the HD650. Bada PH 1 hybrid........Graham Slee, Millet Max Hybrid, come to mind for decent money....from 300US to 1000US.....the older model DV337 is being sold off for a great price (540US or so).

Don't forget about the second hand amps in the For Sale forum......my HD650's are second hand from crappyjones123 and he took great care of them....that would be the norm I would imagine from 99% of the Head Fi membership...so don't rule out that possibility.

Good luck with the amp hunt
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Oct 10, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #22 of 51
Haha u just said everything i need to know!
biggrin.gif
Looks like everyone's recommending the Music Fidelity x8 and the 332 or the 337. Most likely I will ask uncle at jaben if he can bring in the music fidelity, if not then 332 or 337 will do fine

Oct 10, 2008 at 11:57 AM Post #23 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackcatz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha u just said everything i need to know!
biggrin.gif
Looks like everyone's recommending the Music Fidelity x8 and the 332 or the 337. Most likely I will ask uncle at jaben if he can bring in the music fidelity, if not then 332 or 337 will do fine

That oder of priority should be 337,332 and the MF V8 last IMHO. If you can manage to listen to all three that would help your cause considerably I would imagine. If it were up to me I'd go with the 337....best bang for the buck considering the cost of the MF amp.

Peete.

Oct 10, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #24 of 51
Not on the list, but I absolutely love my 650's with my RSA Raptor. See my sig for the my tube arrangement. It is my go to setup.

Oct 10, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #25 of 51
I agree, I don't like the HD650's with the x-can v8. As I said in another thread my friend has that combo currently and we both agree it's not that great, IMHO I find the combo lifeless and veiled for 90% of the music I've listened to on it. I just bought a Little Dot MKIV se. I'll make sure to tell you how it sounds, as soon as it arrives.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 10, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #26 of 51
Can only go on what I know, so Graham Slee Solo for me
smile_phones.gif

Enough depth, enough soundstage, enough PRaT, enough warmth (for a Solid State).

Oct 10, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #27 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't forget about the second hand amps in the For Sale forum......my HD650's are second hand from crappyjones123 and he took great care of them....that would be the norm I would imagine from 99% of the Head Fi membership...so don't rule out that possibility.

Good luck with the amp hunt
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

I'm glad crappy's HD650's found a good home. I know he really loved them
frown.gif
. He also loved his MKV, but not so much for the HD650...at least he DID, until he heard a tube amp for the first time...

Oct 11, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #28 of 51
It's good to hear the HD650 doesn't really NEED a tube amp.

I'll get my HD650 tomorrow and I'm thinking about acquiring the Corda Cantate from Jan Meier.

I was told the 332 is very good, but I'm not inclined to have it sent via eBay from China to Brazil, where I live.
Too far for a tube amp with 4 tubes, in my opinion.

Does anyone have anything against a Cantate / HD650 pairing?

(btw, I intend to replace the original cable by SAA Equinox later on).

Oct 11, 2008 at 3:48 AM Post #29 of 51
Since i love tube sound the raptor would be really really nice but i really lack the funds to do so now, maybe in the future.

For the moment the darkvoices seem to give the bang for buck, and although many say the solid state is "enough" I have compared solid state and tubes on the HD650 and the difference is too huge to dismiss. Maybe its my genre of music that gels with the combo.

I'll be still interested to know how the little dots sound like anyway, do post!

Plus, im a meier fan to so the cantate might suit my tastes! If anyone has that combo do tell!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back